Memorable captains' speeches and those not so memorable

Started by T Fearon, September 17, 2008, 03:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

So which ones were the best (leave out Joe Connolly's 1980 effort etc as if has been well documented) For me, nothing will ever surpass the totally spontaneous effort of the non media friendly Kieran Mc Geeney in 2002. In the midst of euphoria he displayed commendable compassion and concern for Armagh fans with the immortal words "Stand Back, Stand Back, you're hurting the ones at the front".

The flip side was Canavan's prescripted boring monologue in 2003 which was a real cure for insomnia

Lazer

Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

red hander

Quote from: T Fearon on September 17, 2008, 03:55:49 PM
So which ones were the best (leave out Joe Connolly's 1980 effort etc as if has been well documented) For me, nothing will ever surpass the totally spontaneous effort of the non media friendly Kieran Mc Geeney in 2002. In the midst of euphoria he displayed commendable compassion and concern for Armagh fans with the immortal words "Stand Back, Stand Back, you're hurting the ones at the front".

The flip side was Canavan's prescripted boring monologue in 2003 which was a real cure for insomnia

I dunno, the heartfelt sentiment expressed about his father who passed away earlier that year moved everybody who heard it (sorry, everybody but you)

the green man

Eddie O Connor 93 - give us a freaking hoilday stuff.

ziggysego

The heart-felt speech which included his father that recently passed away and how the spirit of the late Paul McGirr still living on in the team, brought a tear to my eye.

Plus, the look on President McAleese's face when Canavan was talking about the British Army was priceless.
Testing Accessibility

Onion Bag

Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

nrico2006

I have always wanted to see Doohers speech again - I tried searching for it a few weeks ago to no avail.  Anyone know a link to it?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

Puckoon

So Tony - did you move back?

Main Street

Quote from: ziggysego on September 17, 2008, 04:08:13 PM
Plus, the look on President McAleese's face when Canavan was talking about the British Army was priceless.
What did he say in the speech?

stibhan

Dooher isn't a great orator but it would take a f**king animal not to be emotional after his speech about Cormac McAnallen. f**k me that was hard to take.

Main Street

Quote from: filthylittlebeast on September 17, 2008, 05:12:39 PM
It will probably be on You Tube somewhere so you can listen to it. 
I didn´t find it on You Tube
but I found this
'It was when he said that the victory gave the lie to those who claimed the Tyrone team was like the British army – once it crossed the border it lost all its power.'

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Doogie Browser on September 17, 2008, 05:09:14 PMWhat was the point in even bringing that up?  FFS catch yourself on.

What's the OP's point in starting this thread?

tyssam5

Quote from: filthylittlebeast on September 17, 2008, 05:10:00 PM
stop being such a knob !

Doogie was right, you shouldn't have even brought that up. Use your brain man.