Memorable captains' speeches and those not so memorable

Started by T Fearon, September 17, 2008, 03:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john mcgill

Billy Morgan's speech in 1973 when he referred to Tyrone minors and the achievement of being from the North, with all its problems, and reaching the All Ireland.  It struck me as being very gracious and no I'm not from Tyrone.

nrico2006

Somebody should have grabbed the mic from Pickering.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

paddypastit

McGeeney's concern for the crowd was not of his making - you cou;ld see him being told by McCague and others to make that statememnt.  That apart, his words were actually spot on because they were real and heartfelt and not the collection of 'comeallye' pigeen Irish crap that we normally have to listen to. By not giving the 'classic' spech, he did us all a favour.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Maguire01

Quote from: Armamike on September 25, 2008, 09:32:30 PM
The speeches are a necessary evil, but they should get rid of that 3 cheers shite.   
Couldn't agree more. Cringeworthy. The defeated team couldn't care less about 3 cheers and the winning fans are hardly thinking about the other team when they're 'horray'-ing.
Thanking the opposition for a good/sporting/tough game would suffice.

NAG

Quote from: john mcgill on September 27, 2008, 07:36:02 PM
Billy Morgan's speech in 1973 when he referred to Tyrone minors and the achievement of being from the North, with all its problems, and reaching the All Ireland.  It struck me as being very gracious and no I'm not from Tyrone.

Its well seen your not from Tyrone because these are words that would ring in any Ulster Mans ears. for years we have listened to that patronising attitude coming up the road, thank god we have had the upper hand in the last while to lead the way.

GalwayBayBoy

Was Dooher's speech this year any good?

I actually saw it but honestly I could not understand a word of it.