Memorable captains' speeches and those not so memorable

Started by T Fearon, September 17, 2008, 03:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 18, 2008, 12:02:26 AM
Dinny Allen in 1989 or was it 88 referring to the lads in the "crows' nisht" always cracks me up.

I remember hearing the lads in the Crow's Nest pub at the top of the straight road in Cork were perplexed as to why Dinny was singling them out on the big occasion.

saffron sam2

I would ban the lot of them. An anachronism that has little place in the world of dieticians, statisticians, DVD analysts, weights experts, weather forecasters etc. The list of thank yous get longer year on year.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

screenexile

My favourite statement from an All Ireland Final was Offaly hurling in 1998. I think he came up and said "We might have come through the back door... but we're walking out the front today!". A good bit of humour amongst all the dour and droll speeches and thank yous that are normally heard. I agree with SS2  :o time to get rid of the speeches. Do any other sports have the speeches anymore?

Over the Bar

Just watched McGeeney's again.   In the name of heavens that's probably the worst acceptance speech ever in any sport.  Give the mic to someone else if stringing a handful of words together is beyond you.   Francie Bellew could have done better.   

ziggysego

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 18, 2008, 10:20:22 AM
Just watched McGeeney's again.   In the name of heavens that's probably the worst acceptance speech ever in any sport.  Give the mic to someone else if stringing a handful of words together is beyond you.   Francie Bellew could have done better.   

Should have been Benny. ;)

No downgirl, not Coulter. I'm on about Tierney.
Testing Accessibility

Rois

Ah you're very harsh, I know how hard it is for me to stand up in front of 10 colleagues never mind in front of 80k people with millions (maybe) watching on tv.  

Canalman

Most speeches are mainly team/panel based.......commenting on matters specific to the team itself. The great ones such as Anthony Daly's/Joe Connolly's etc reach out to a whole County .
I get most enjoyment from the minor captains roaring into the Mike.

Main Street

Quote from: Rois on September 18, 2008, 10:31:54 AM
Ah you're very harsh, I know how hard it is for me to stand up in front of 10 colleagues never mind in front of 80k people with millions (maybe) watching on tv.  
And in bars from New York to Hong Kong

The Iceman

Quote from: 5 Sams on September 17, 2008, 11:30:16 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 17, 2008, 09:22:04 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on September 17, 2008, 04:31:47 PM
Joe Connolly's is the best

great stuff altogether

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=A90Nid9ihCk&feature=related

Jaysus lads this is the best...." Ta daoine ar ais i nGaillimh agus ta gliondar in a gcroi" that is just fckuin deadly....if you dont understand Irish get someone to explain this stuff to you.

very poetic indeed - though I used a translator for grcoi
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Puckoon

What does it mean!?

Hardstation - did you get a ticket?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Pedants' corner lads?  :P ;)
Gcroí, simple tpyo  :)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

seamusthebard

Adrian McGuckin Jnr. after Ballinderry's All-Ireland Club victory in Thurles 2002. The best I ever heard at either county or club. The hair actually stood on the back of my neck.

Armamike

The speeches are a necessary evil, but they should get rid of that 3 cheers shite.   
That's just, like your opinion man.

5 Sams

Quote from: The Iceman on September 25, 2008, 08:40:18 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on September 17, 2008, 11:30:16 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 17, 2008, 09:22:04 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on September 17, 2008, 04:31:47 PM
Joe Connolly's is the best

great stuff altogether

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=A90Nid9ihCk&feature=related

Jaysus lads this is the best...." Ta daoine ar ais i nGaillimh agus ta gliondar in a gcroi" that is just fckuin deadly....if you dont understand Irish get someone to explain this stuff to you.

very poetic indeed - though I used a translator for grcoi

If you need a translator gimme a shout....but at least get the spelling right....ina gcroi
The Aristocrat Years

the green man

Quote from: Armamike on September 25, 2008, 09:32:30 PM
The speeches are a necessary evil, but they should get rid of that 3 cheers shite.   

Probably the most condescending thing about. A round of applause to show appreciation would be better