Memorable captains' speeches and those not so memorable

Started by T Fearon, September 17, 2008, 03:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadhlancian

Quote from: T Fearon on September 17, 2008, 03:55:49 PM
So which ones were the best (leave out Joe Connolly's 1980 effort etc as if has been well documented) For me, nothing will ever surpass the totally spontaneous effort of the non media friendly Kieran Mc Geeney in 2002. In the midst of euphoria he displayed commendable compassion and concern for Armagh fans with the immortal words "Stand Back, Stand Back, you're hurting the ones at the front".

The flip side was Canavan's prescripted boring monologue in 2003 which was a real cure for insomnia
once again.............what a w**ker ::)

Over the Bar

Never mind McGeeney's not so memorable speech, Armagh are becoming a not so memorable team! lol

thewingedlady

Even as an Armagh man I'd say Canavans was one of the best in living memory for me, thought he spoke well and mentioned a lot of people others might have forgotten about. Even raised a few chuckles about the british army and mickey joe harte and all.

On the flipside, Dooher's was cyat. Apart from the emotional scenes when he mentioned Cormac, there was nothing in it. He opened with the exact same line that Peter did in '03 (I can't think of a better place in the world to be than where I'm standing) and departed on the exact same note as Peter as well (Its time to take Sam to Tyrone.)

McGeeney lifting the Sam was probably in the top 3 greatest moments of my life but in retrospect his speech was pretty poor. Far too short and not even the traditional 'Ta ochas orm' in it.

maggie

Well i for one am shocked- Tony commends the Armagh speech while slating the Tyrone one.

ONeill

McGeeney's speech was possibly the worst heard in the history of Croke Park speech making. You felt he didn't grab the magnitude of the achievement and left the fans rather flat at their big moment. Wrong man, wrong place.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

The Iceman

can anyone post some links to speeches - I'm sure somebdoy has them somewhere?
I'd like to here Canavans - I don't recall it at all
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Frank Casey

I have to mention Dara O Cinneide and all the whinging by the anglos who couldn't understand his speech cos it was all as Gaeilge.
KERRY 3:7

Main Street

I thought Kilkenny's captain last year was memorable.
You got the unforgetable sense just how much this was a team, how much they wanted the McCarthy cup, what it meant to win it and dedicated to the goalkeeper.

Gaffer

In 2002, McGeeney didn 't even smile when he was lifting it!!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Kerry Mike

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

jodyb

Quote from: tyssam5 on September 17, 2008, 06:15:43 PM
Quote from: filthylittlebeast on September 17, 2008, 05:10:00 PM
stop being such a knob !

Doogie was right, you shouldn't have even brought that up. Use your brain man.
I thought you were a girl FLB  :o

5 Sams

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 17, 2008, 09:22:04 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on September 17, 2008, 04:31:47 PM
Joe Connolly's is the best

great stuff altogether

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=A90Nid9ihCk&feature=related

Jaysus lads this is the best...." Ta daoine ar ais i nGaillimh agus ta gliondar in a gcroi" that is just fckuin deadly....if you dont understand Irish get someone to explain this stuff to you.
The Aristocrat Years

Shamrock Shore

Dinny Allen in 1989 or was it 88 referring to the lads in the "crows' nisht" always cracks me up.

(Sorry to be boring and not have a Tyrone/Armagh/Kerry angle) zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Zapatista

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 18, 2008, 12:02:26 AM
Dinny Allen in 1989 or was it 88 referring to the lads in the "crows' nisht" always cracks me up.

(Sorry to be boring and not have a Tyrone/Armagh/Kerry angle) zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Your type aren't welcome here ;)