New Derry Manager

Started by JMohan, September 09, 2008, 12:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMohan

It does seem like Cassidy is the best available option.

The above post if it's true certainly cut a fast swathe through Brennans chances!

One interesting thing is that unlike almost every other mangerless county - there is no outside nominations
Does this reflect what I would think is a common (mis?)conception that managing Derry means trying to manage great talent but great ego's?

Also - I see Scullions name mentioned, as a coach he might be useful, but I've heard poor reports, (same rousing speeches, all guts, but behind it all ... little method & logic)

As for McGilligan well I'd love to see him get it and
1. See the CB try and cut corners with him
2. See some of the (supposed) ego's have a go at him along the touch line

Surprised Brolly doesn't roll in with a dream team of backroom staff and make a go of it ...

saffron sam2

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on September 09, 2008, 11:07:42 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 09, 2008, 08:51:45 PM
I am amazed at the total lack of ambition and forward thinking by the Derry county board if that is anything like a definitive short list of potential managers.

Cassite seems to be the fore-runner yet his CV appears to consist of a solitary Tyrone under-21 title - a sorry return for the six figures plus he has trousered over the years.

Brennan's CV, on the other hand seems impressive (senior titles with four clubs in three counties), but doesn't stand up to close scrutiny. Three of the four clubs (Cargin, Lavey and Carrickmore) won senior titles, with basically the same squads and different managers. The one exception, Slaughtneil, he wasn't even first choice for that role , only being considered after at least one other high profile candidate was approached. I have spoken to a member of the Slaughtneil squad and he tells me that half the time he couldn't understand a word Brennan was saying and that the other half he couldn't undertsand the point he was trying to make. A Cargin boy tells me that their subs were instructed, when warming up, to run into opposing managers. Excellent tactics for any team.

Bradley would be a foolish choice, Kevin Madden was the man at Glenullin last year and with two (loose cannons of) sons on the squad, it would be impossible for Bradley, even if he were a rational man. Whichhe isn't.

Barton, like Cassidy, another man whose income appears inversely proportional to his talent and the success of his teams.

McGilligan, whilst he has proven that he will take the job for the right reasons, does not have any football managerial experience, so shouldn't be considered.

Whilst I don't rate McIver or Jody Gormley, I think either would be a much better appointment. As indeed would Madden, Martin McHugh, Sean McGoldrick, Tony Scullion, Lynchbhoy or Peter Canavan.

Mediocrity, it would appear, will reign in the Oak Leaf.

This post above rates as one of the silliest posts that I have read on this board. Totally inaccurate and peppered with a strong taste of spite...get the monkey of your back...is there any logic anywhere in it...not even worth an argumentative response

I was only trying to help and that is the thanks you get. I am not looking for an argument, just giving my opinion on the names mentioned as possibilities for the Derry job. I am happy to stand over any of the 'inaccuracies' in my post.

But, as you say, your serious posts are done via PM.

Or alternatively, just appoint Cassidy and I'll wait ten months from now to back my argument up.

Best wishes, saffron sam2

It's off your back by the way and 'is there any logic in it anywhere' should be followed by a question mark.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

orangeman

Judging by the Derry masters panel, and ther fact they're in the AI final, some of them might even tog out for the National League at least !  ;) ;)

billy the kid

Quote from: thebuzz on September 09, 2008, 09:56:53 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 09, 2008, 08:51:45 PM
McGilligan, whilst he has proven that he will take the job for the right reasons, does not have any football managerial experience, so shouldn't be considered.

I heard that Sean Boylan was a hurling man rather than a footballer. I don't know if this is correct but if it is he did ok as a football manager. McGilligan won an All Ireland medal for football himself and he certainly appears to have the credentials to be a good manager even if his experience of management has been in hurling.

This is correct. Seen him interviewed once coming up to one of the many All-Ireland finals Meath played in under him and the story was that  All those years ago when he first took the Meath job he was just asked "would you be interested in taking the county senior team" Boylan thought they were asking him to take the Senior Hurling team and promptly replied yes, Only to find out later that he was now manager of the footballers.
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

robertemmet

Derry team management nominations
Senior Football: Liam Bradley; John Brennan; Damian Cassidy; John McCloskey; Brian McGilligan; Tony Scullion.
U21 Football: John Brennan; Niall Conway; Brian McGilligan; Tony Scullion.
Minor Football: Alfie Dallas, Martin Gallagher; Richard Ferris; Michael Hughes; Noel McFeely; Martin McWilliams; Charlie O?Kane.
Senior Hurling: Sean McCloskey; Brian McGilligan.
U21 Hurling: Sean McCloskey; Brian McGilligan.
Minor Hurling: Danny McGrellis.

Got this from BBC Sport website

orangeman

Quote from: robertemmet on September 10, 2008, 04:43:40 PM
Senior Football: Liam Bradley; John Brennan; Damian Cassidy; John McCloskey; Brian McGilligan; Tony Scullion.
Minor Football: Alfie Dallas, Martin Gallagher; Richard Ferris; Michael Hughes; Noel McFeely; Martin McWilliams; Charlie O?Kane.

Is Brian Mc Ivor in the running for the senior job ?

screenexile

Mario

Brian Mc Gilligan mustn't have much work on next year!

Rav67

SS2-  what about Cassidy's Championship win in 05 with Bellaghy and subsequent run to the Ulster final?

JMohan

Maybe they should sack the County Board and just employ Big Brian full time to do all the jobs!

JMohan

Quote from: robertemmet on September 10, 2008, 04:43:40 PM

Are nominations simply the names that clubs have nominated  ..... or are they the names nominated and confirmed by the nominees?

Senior Football:
1. Damian Cassidy
2. John Brennan
3. Liam Bradley
4. John McCloskey
5. Brian McGilligan
6. Tony Scullion

Would that be a fair summary of the chances?

What are the backroom teams? Anyone know?
This would be probably more important than the manager.

thebuzz

Quote from: JMohan on September 10, 2008, 06:13:14 PM

I don't think the backroom team is more important than the manager in Tyrone (or any other successful county for that matter).

Tim Buzaglo

I've heard from 2 decent sources that Tony Scullion is a very serious contender for the job.  Heard nothing about a team with him.  Who was his management team at Ballinascreen and Kildress (i think??)

My preference would be Cassidy and to be honest, i don't fancy any of the other names on the list!
Will we ever see another one?

JMohan

Quote from: thebuzz on September 10, 2008, 08:21:51 PM
Quote from: JMohan on September 10, 2008, 06:13:14 PM

I don't think the backroom team is more important than the manager in Tyrone (or any other successful county for that matter).
Correct - the backroom team is not more important than the manager ... I mean it would be more important to know each of the backroom teams before deciding on just the manager alone.

screenexile

Quote from: Tim Buzaglo on September 10, 2008, 09:05:02 PM
I've heard from 2 decent sources that Tony Scullion is a very serious contender for the job.  Heard nothing about a team with him.  Who was his management team at Ballinascreen and Kildress (i think??)

My preference would be Cassidy and to be honest, i don't fancy any of the other names on the list!

Mickey Boyle was with him at Screen, Cathal Corry I think at Kildress and I'm not sure who was with him at Eglish.