New Derry Manager

Started by JMohan, September 09, 2008, 12:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMohan

Well there's one for every other county and I see Gilligan is being nominated now too so it should get interesting ...

Can you interview a man who is being charged with disrepute or do you deal with the interview and charge at the one meeting?

Anyway ... names in the hat as of now in suggested order of betting are ...

- Damien Cassidy - no backroom team suggested
- John Brennan - no backroom team suggested ... possibly with Henry Downey?
- Baker Bradley - possibly with Kevin Madden?
- Brian McGilligan - no backroom team suggested

Others?

Rav67

Brian McGilligan you're not serious are you??  I would be happy with Cassidy or Brennan.

feetofflames

Was there not a case where Damian Barton was refused a final interview the last time because he was suspended as a manager.  Im asking this because if the Derry Board are consistent and they suspend as it appears they are going to do with Mc Gilligan they they could be suspending a man from their own interviews which in my opinion would be a flawed farcical process.  I have heard from a source that Mc Gilligan is the type of figure required for this job - because nobody in the team would be bigger than Brian Mc Gilligan - should be an interesting one.    
Chief Wiggum

robertemmet

Heard the other day that the co board are not going to suspend McGilligan (and Conway).

JMohan

Would they not have to speak to them first though?
They did charge them after all.

toiletroller

get Mc Gilligan in with Conway as his wingman!!  That would be hilarious, S.Mc Cloy would sh*T himself!

orangeman

Quote from: robertemmet on September 09, 2008, 01:55:27 PM
Heard the other day that the co board are not going to suspend McGilligan (and Conway).

How in hell could they ?

robertemmet

Orangeman, I'm not saying they "could" suspend them.

Just heard the other day that they are not going to suspend them despite notifying all the clubs a while back that they were going to throw the book at them.

saffron sam2

I am amazed at the total lack of ambition and forward thinking by the Derry county board if that is anything like a definitive short list of potential managers.

Cassidy seems to be the fore-runner yet his CV appears to consist of a solitary Tyrone under-21 title - a sorry return for the six figures plus he has trousered over the years.

Brennan's CV, on the other hand seems impressive (senior titles with four clubs in three counties), but doesn't stand up to close scrutiny. Three of the four clubs (Cargin, Lavey and Carrickmore) won senior titles, with basically the same squads and different managers. The one exception, Slaughtneil, he wasn't even first choice for that role , only being considered after at least one other high profile candidate was approached. I have spoken to a member of the Slaughtneil squad and he tells me that half the time he couldn't understand a word Brennan was saying and that the other half he couldn't undertsand the point he was trying to make. A Cargin boy tells me that their subs were instructed, when warming up, to run into opposing managers. Excellent tactics for any team.

Bradley would be a foolish choice, Kevin Madden was the man at Glenullin last year and with two (loose cannons of) sons on the squad, it would be impossible for Bradley, even if he were a rational man. Whichhe isn't.

Barton, like Cassidy, another man whose income appears inversely proportional to his talent and the success of his teams.

McGilligan, whilst he has proven that he will take the job for the right reasons, does not have any football managerial experience, so shouldn't be considered.

Whilst I don't rate McIver or Jody Gormley, I think either would be a much better appointment. As indeed would Madden, Martin McHugh, Sean McGoldrick, Tony Scullion, Lynchbhoy or Peter Canavan.

Mediocrity, it would appear, will reign in the Oak Leaf.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

ziggysego

Would love to see Brennan get the job.
Testing Accessibility

gaagaa

Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 09, 2008, 08:51:45 PM
Bradley would be a foolish choice, Kevin Madden was the man at Glenullin last year and with two (loose cannons of) sons on the squad, it would be impossible for Bradley, even if he were a rational man. Whichhe isn't.

im no fan of bradleys but this is balls
madden did nothing this year with a better glenullion team than bradley started with a few years ago
any time i saw him this year madden looked as if was panicking all the time and was inept against slaughtneil

mcgilligan is the man for the job along with kelly and maybe a tokemn south derry man ;)

thebuzz

McGilligan, whilst he has proven that he will take the job for the right reasons, does not have any football managerial experience, so shouldn't be considered.

I heard that Sean Boylan was a hurling man rather than a footballer. I don't know if this is correct but if it is he did ok as a football manager. McGilligan won an All Ireland medal for football himself and he certainly appears to have the credentials to be a good manager even if his experience of management has been in hurling.

saffron sam2

Quote from: thebuzz on September 09, 2008, 09:56:53 PM

I heard that Sean Boylan was a hurling man rather than a footballer. I don't know if this is correct but if it is he did ok as a football manager. McGilligan won an All Ireland medal for football himself and he certainly appears to have the credentials to be a good manager even if his experience of management has been in hurling.

Good point, you're right. Boylan was a hurling man. Go with McGilligan and Scullion then.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Real Talk

Quote from: gaagaa on September 09, 2008, 09:08:56 PM

im no fan of bradleys but this is balls
madden did nothing this year with a better glenullion team than bradley started with a few years ago
any time i saw him this year madden looked as if was panicking all the time and was inept against slaughtneil

mcgilligan is the man for the job along with kelly and maybe a tokemn south derry man ;)
What evidence have you that McGilligan could do the job along with Kelly and if they add a token south derry man then you will end up with a token Derry team made up of northern footballers and wanabe hurlers, sounds like some progress >:( :( :o

Maximus Marillius

I am amazed at the total lack of ambition and forward thinking by the Derry county board if that is anything like a definitive short list of potential managers.

Cassite seems to be the fore-runner yet his CV appears to consist of a solitary Tyrone under-21 title - a sorry return for the six figures plus he has trousered over the years.

Brennan's CV, on the other hand seems impressive (senior titles with four clubs in three counties), but doesn't stand up to close scrutiny. Three of the four clubs (Cargin, Lavey and Carrickmore) won senior titles, with basically the same squads and different managers. The one exception, Slaughtneil, he wasn't even first choice for that role , only being considered after at least one other high profile candidate was approached. I have spoken to a member of the Slaughtneil squad and he tells me that half the time he couldn't understand a word Brennan was saying and that the other half he couldn't undertsand the point he was trying to make. A Cargin boy tells me that their subs were instructed, when warming up, to run into opposing managers. Excellent tactics for any team.

Barton, like Cassidy, another man whose income appears inversely proportional to his talent and the success of his teams.

Whilst I don't rate McIver or Jody Gormley, I think either would be a much better appointment. As indeed would Madden, Martin McHugh, Sean McGoldrick, Tony Scullion, Lynchbhoy or Peter Canavan.

Mediocrity, it would appear, will reign in the Oak Leaf.

This post above rates as one of the silliest posts that I have read on this board. Totally inaccurate and peppered with a strong taste of spite...get the monkey of your back...is there any logic anywhere in it...not even worth an argumentative response