New Derry Manager

Started by JMohan, September 09, 2008, 12:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Quote from: thebuzz on September 13, 2008, 11:36:36 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 11, 2008, 12:26:06 PM
What you don't state is that two of the loses were to Slaughtneil (their first ever win) and Glenullen (their first in many years). In short he lost finals to two admittedly strong sides, but two with a limited championship tradition.

Despite your eloquent (some might say flowery) use of the English language, it does appear that you make the odd, little grammatical error in the heat of the discussion battle.
from memory sam reserves the right to spell anglicised names whichever way he pleases and I think he has at least 5 versions of Glenullin/en/on/un/an.  'Loses' was almost unforgiveable though, better than 'looses' I suppose ;D

lynchbhoy

Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 09, 2008, 08:51:45 PM
I am amazed at the total lack of ambition and forward thinking by the Derry county board if that is anything like a definitive short list of potential managers.

Cassidy seems to be the fore-runner yet his CV appears to consist of a solitary Tyrone under-21 title - a sorry return for the six figures plus he has trousered over the years.

Brennan's CV, on the other hand seems impressive (senior titles with four clubs in three counties), but doesn't stand up to close scrutiny. Three of the four clubs (Cargin, Lavey and Carrickmore) won senior titles, with basically the same squads and different managers. The one exception, Slaughtneil, he wasn't even first choice for that role , only being considered after at least one other high profile candidate was approached. I have spoken to a member of the Slaughtneil squad and he tells me that half the time he couldn't understand a word Brennan was saying and that the other half he couldn't undertsand the point he was trying to make. A Cargin boy tells me that their subs were instructed, when warming up, to run into opposing managers. Excellent tactics for any team.

Bradley would be a foolish choice, Kevin Madden was the man at Glenullin last year and with two (loose cannons of) sons on the squad, it would be impossible for Bradley, even if he were a rational man. Whichhe isn't.

Barton, like Cassidy, another man whose income appears inversely proportional to his talent and the success of his teams.

McGilligan, whilst he has proven that he will take the job for the right reasons, does not have any football managerial experience, so shouldn't be considered.

Whilst I don't rate McIver or Jody Gormley, I think either would be a much better appointment. As indeed would Madden, Martin McHugh, Sean McGoldrick, Tony Scullion, Lynchbhoy or Peter Canavan.

Mediocrity, it would appear, will reign in the Oak Leaf.
thanks SS, but its prob a couple of years too early for me to go for the job.
am delighted to hear that Cass has the passion and bite in him to 'spit' - while many wont like that kind of thing, I certainly dont chastise him for it (now at least - though he who casts the first stone and all that...).

Very amusing thread btw ! !   :D

I'd still prefer mciver or Kelly but Cass is better than what we have had and McGilligan and Brennan would be close enough to him imo
think D Cass could do a decent job. He has the talent - lets see if he gets it and if he can provide the tactical gameplan and intelligent football that Derry have been lacking.

SS2 - you are just a bitter bushmills boy and a teacher - so I feel a tad sorry for you !
:D

doire_boy

New Derry Senior Football Manager Announced  

Coiste Contae Dhoire are pleased to announce that Damien Cassidy has been appointed as the new Derry senior football manager. Following the recommendation by the selection committee, the appointment was formally ratified at the county board meeting on Tuesday (7th October) night.

Rav67

Great news.  Gonna stick a few quid on Derry for 2009 all-Ireland now.

peterquaife

happy with that, good luck sur

ziggysego

Met the man once, when I got into a spot of bother outside Casement Park before the replay between Tyrone and Derry in 2003. A real gentleman and was a great help to me that day.

Good luck to Derry.
Testing Accessibility

Aerlik

Jaysus between posting on the board, and rearing terriers you're going to have your hands full, Max ;)
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!