Gaelic Life

Started by Out in Front, December 30, 2006, 10:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fionntamhnach

Didn't count the amount of hurling pages, but I did notice a letter from an Antrim person now living in Letterkenny giving off about the lack of hurling coverage!

BottleOfStout

Amount of hurling has increased slightly. A couple of article re Cushendall's upcoming AI semi.  I would expect further increases in hurling coverage from FEb on the hurling season really gets under way.

esmonde

Bought it today, for the first time. I really think it suffers from concentrating on Ulster GAA. Would really like to see it be a 32 county publication, as I enjoyed reading it. The dubs bashing was just boring and the usuall shite, not offensive just tiresome. Weird though, is the image of Joe Brolly scoring a goal for Dublin against Meath and blowing kisses to the hill

Tyrones own

Quote from: esmonde on January 27, 2007, 01:19:03 AM
Bought it today, for the first time. I really think it suffers from concentrating on Ulster GAA. Would really like to see it be a 32 county publication, as I enjoyed reading it. The dubs bashing was just boring and the usuall shite, not offensive just tiresome. Weird though, is the image of Joe Brolly scoring a goal for Dublin against Meath and blowing kisses to the hill

Joe Brolly.............. Dublin ???
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

esmonde

I know yeah, its mad read the back page of the paper

never kickt a ball

Really have to say something about Brolly's piece this week. He prattles on about payment for managers etc, that issue which has been covered ad nausea in the media for the past couple of weeks. It would appear that he doesn't even read the Gaelic Life himself otherwise he wouldn't have picked a topic which has been comprehensibly dealt with by the paper (and every other newspaper) in previous weeks. His piece contains the mandatory swipe at the GPA and then to end it the mother of all hypocrisy "Joe Brolly writes for the Male* on Sunday". He also works for RTE and appears to make a tidy living out of  GAA coverage himself. I would give his article more credibility if he donated his fee to a worthwhile cause every week. Come on Joe in my humble opinion you're not earning your fee - or maybe you're writing in the GL for free for the love of the game .......

* my spelling

believebelive

Just a quick question regarding the league structures. In an article in the Gaelic Life today it says that teams finishing in the bottom two spots in divisions 1a and 1b will be relegated to division 2. I thought that if you finished in the bootom two you go straight to division 3?
What is the story?

Greasemonkey

did anybody read that effort at humour in the middle of the paper bout the dubs v tyrone. sums up this paper. its probably not that bad all over but are they trying too hard to b different?  :-\ too much stuff about the same thing. agree with NKAB that brolly is a bit played out now as well and with the leagues now starting cud ave done somthing different than the overdone paid managers thing. BTW does anybody know is there any hope of getting dubs v tyrone tickets at this last minute stage? is there any point in just landing at croker and hoping for the best?

heganboy

Quote from: never kickt a ball on February 02, 2007, 12:07:35 PM
He also works for RTE and appears to make a tidy living out of  GAA coverage himself. I would give his article more credibility if he donated his fee to a worthwhile cause every week.

Joe makes a tidy living out of being a very successful barrister. This is his pocket money.
Do you give credibility to any piece you read in a newspaper, magazine or online? Or maybe they should all give their wages to charity.
What about the full time GAA employees- wages to charity too?
In your world who picks the worthwhile cause?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Turfsmoke

Ask Joe to speak at a GAA event and see what he charges ... ZERO!!! Unlike many of the others on that circuit who just rip off the GAA grassroots.

He's the real thing, not just in what he says but in what he does.

His article today in Gaelic Life for many of us just sums up what the GAA is about and should be about. Keep going Joe.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: heganboy on February 02, 2007, 07:01:25 PM
Quote from: never kickt a ball on February 02, 2007, 12:07:35 PM
He also works for RTE and appears to make a tidy living out of  GAA coverage himself. I would give his article more credibility if he donated his fee to a worthwhile cause every week.
Joe makes a tidy living out of being a very successful barrister. This is his pocket money.
Do you give credibility to any piece you read in a newspaper, magazine or online? Or maybe they should all give their wages to charity.
What about the full time GAA employees- wages to charity too?
In your world who picks the worthwhile cause?
Quote from: Turfsmoke on February 02, 2007, 07:07:12 PM
Ask Joe to speak at a GAA event and see what he charges ... ZERO!!! Unlike many of the others on that circuit who just rip off the GAA grassroots.
He's the real thing, not just in what he says but in what he does.
His article today in Gaelic Life for many of us just sums up what the GAA is about and should be about. Keep going Joe.
Thanks lads! Good to see Joe still has some friends. Look when I splash out my hard earned I'm entitled to my opinion and yes I do establish credibility on articles as you two have on my opinion. If GL want to pay Joe to rehash old news and allow him to take a swipe at the GPA every week that's up to them. Some readers might find that boring, others may not. Fine by me. Good to see he doesn't charge a fee for his functions. I didn't know that. I have heard him speak at a function and he can be very entertaining. His articles to date have not matched (in my humble opinion) the high standards he is capable of. 

Onlooker

The bottom two teams in Division 1A and 1B of the National League will definitely by in Division 3 in 2008 and the top two teams in Division 2A and 2B will play in Division 2 next year.

ClosetotheHarte

Quote from: Greasemonkey on February 02, 2007, 05:59:15 PM
did anybody read that effort at humour in the middle of the paper bout the dubs v tyrone. sums up this paper. its probably not that bad all over but are they trying too hard to b different?

I think the paper overall looks to be improving but I agree with you on that article in the middle of the paper. I don't think humour would be the right word to describe it.

Candyman

Team of the week in the magazine..... Stevie McDonnell etc and then 2 Ballymacnab players!!!!
Sean Hughes in goals (another ex-Harps man  ;)) and Kennedy????

Armagh Exile

What's the news with Gaelic Life weekly GAA paper?
The brother tells me that he has tried a number of Newsagents and they say that Gaelic Life did not arrive this morining.
Anyone know anything about this?