Tyrone v Kerry All Ireland Final 2008

Started by Seany, August 31, 2008, 08:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Uladh, in the 2 games (03/05) Tyrone put Kerry, and kept them throughout, on the back foot insofar that Kerry had to feed off and maximise their sporadic attacks. For me nothing has changed in terms of personell for the better from 1-12 for Kerry that leads me to think that Kerry'll suddenly find room vacated by Harte and Jordan. Fair enough point about the 3-pronged worry in the FF line but I cannot see them suddenly whipping high balls up on top of the twins with Cooper feeding off them unless Tyrone are well ahead and even at that it's simply offering Tyrone the springboard they so often make hay from. Walsh will not get the room to move as he did for the goal v Cork.

I still think that Tyrone's fitness and workrate (as in the past) coupled with Cavanagh at FF and the improving scoring dimension offered by McCullagh and McGuigan will be the winning of this game.

Many outside of the county seem to think McCullagh will be 'found out' at the highest level this Sunday. We'll see I suppose.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

The Tyrone team's fitness is my greatest confidence, simply exceeds anything I've ever witnessed before, and all credit must go to Fergal Mc Cann.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Hardy

This is the year of the comeback and the year of the shock result. No result would be a shock on Sunday, so I'm looking for odds on one team to lead by at least six points and lose or draw.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Interesting one Hardy, would hope that we wouldn't squander such a lead, should we establish it.

Uladh

Quote from: ONeill on September 19, 2008, 02:12:16 PM
Uladh, in the 2 games (03/05) Tyrone put Kerry, and kept them throughout, on the back foot insofar that Kerry had to feed off and maximise their sporadic attacks. For me nothing has changed in terms of personell for the better from 1-12 for Kerry that leads me to think that Kerry'll suddenly find room vacated by Harte and Jordan. Fair enough point about the 3-pronged worry in the FF line but I cannot see them suddenly whipping high balls up on top of the twins with Cooper feeding off them unless Tyrone are well ahead and even at that it's simply offering Tyrone the springboard they so often make hay from. Walsh will not get the room to move as he did for the goal v Cork.

I still think that Tyrone's fitness and workrate (as in the past) coupled with Cavanagh at FF and the improving scoring dimension offered by McCullagh and McGuigan will be the winning of this game.

Many outside of the county seem to think McCullagh will be 'found out' at the highest level this Sunday. We'll see I suppose.

i would disagree that nothing has changed with kerry. certainly the personnel is similar but under pat o'shea they have shown much more urgency in the middle third where teams (particularly tyrone) have been able to pressurise them, slow build ups down and turn ball over. that will be a vital facet of the game on sunday.

the problem i see with harte and jordan on sunday is not that they will leave gaps behind them but rather that they will have to deal, one on one, with their man running at them or even o'se and young overlapping and its not their strength. the help they normally get will be elsewhere.

i already said in my original post that i cannot see kerry starting to pump high ball on top of the "twin towers" now when they haven't done that all year

ziggysego

The thing about MH Uladh is, he can read Kerry's game and can counteract it. I've no doubt he'll have a plan in space to deal with the twin towers and the Gooch come Sunday. To date, Kerry have failed to read Tyrone's game and I can't see them being able to this Sunday either.
Testing Accessibility

Fear ón Srath Bán

Puckoon

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on September 18, 2008, 10:32:40 PM
Quote from: redcard on September 18, 2008, 09:57:18 PM
http://www.emapdigitalradio.com/emapdigitalradio/metafiles/highland_32.asx

Highland radio discussion on now. Brolly in good form

Listeners outside Ireland and the UK
Please use the following links:
Windows Media Player
http://links.fmstreams.com/audio/highlandradio.asx

Does Joe realise hes on the radio!  :D

My old man was at this last night - said that every time brolly opened his mouth the highland radio presenter was just cringing. :D

orangeman

Before Sunday, let me express my hope for a great weekemd, a good day on Sunday and no matter what the result, getting to this AI final has been a tremendous journey - from the depths of despair to the highs against Dublin and then into the final. Mickey Harte, the players and the backroom team must be congratulated and saluted for the efforts they have made in getting to the big stage on the 3rd Sunday in September.

No matter what the result this has been a real pleasure - it might be too much to ask of this team to take this All Ireland but in the year of a lot of shocks, would it really be that big of a shock if Tyrone were to win on Sunday. I don't think so.

So to all the posters here, I hope you enjoy the exprience whether youre in Dublin, Dalkey or Darwin.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

The big day is almost upon us, seems like ages since the Wexford match. I honestly didnt believe Tyrone would be in this position this year. I never lost faith in Mickey Harte or this group of players but I just couldnt see how we could get enough scores without SON and with Mugsy injured. 3-37 against the Dubs and Wexford proved me to be very wrong. Very proud of this team regardless of what happens on Sunday. People like Justy McMahon, Tommy McGuigan and Colm McCullagh have stood up and been counted at this level and for the first time since 2005 we've managed to keep the majority of the key men fit. Now we have a settled team and quality on the bench like SON, Mugsy, Mulgrew (and more).  

Can the team go on and finish the job? Despite not expecting to come so far it would be a sore one not to go on and win Sam now. So hard to guess what will unfold, in a perfect world Tyrone repeat the Dublin performance, Kerry get rattled and their discipline, which has been strangely suspect at times this summer, goes. Or will the Tyrone defence struggle to cope with that brilliant attack, better than anything they have faced, and cave in leading to a hammering? A cruel irony if the Beragh man Donaghy shoots us down on Sunday!

Anyway hope all those lucky enough to get tickets enjoy the weekend and game and fingers crossed its the right result for those clad in Red and White.

ziggysego

Correct orangeman, from the despair of Newry to the highs after the Dublin game with they exploded back on the trail for Sam, this has been a season of extreme highs and lows. The players had faith in themselves, Mickey saw the quality of the team and here we are in our 5th All-Ireland Final and 3rd in 6 years.

They are a credit to everyone in the county and indeed across country. Even in the darkest hours when there seems to be little light in the tunnel, with a sense of belief and a lot of hardworker they showed anything is possible.

Can they beat Kerry? Well after Down, so would have dreamt we would be in Croke Park on the 3rd Sunday of September? That same belief will get us over the finishi line.
Testing Accessibility

Puckoon

Quote from: ziggysego on September 19, 2008, 03:42:36 PM
Correct orangeman, from the despair of Newry to the highs after the Dublin game with they exploded back on the trail for Sam, this has been a season of extreme highs and lows. The players had faith in themselves, Mickey saw the quality of the team and here we are in our 5th All-Ireland Final and 3rd in 6 years.

They are a credit to everyone in the county and indeed across country. Even in the darkest hours when there seems to be little light in the tunnel, with a sense of belief and a lot of hardworker they showed anything is possible.

Can they beat Kerry? Well after Down, so would have dreamt we would be in Croke Park on the 3rd Sunday of September? That same belief will get us over the finishi line.

Obviously, and thankfully - that emotion didnt touch the players.

Yes I Would

Looking forward to this one. Two most talented, most consistent teams left standing.

Heart says Tyrone. Head says Kerry. Greater directness in delivery and greater options up front. Tyrone still struggling in winning clean ball i lar na pairce and cant see this changing on Sunday.  
All action performances will be required again from Harte, Jordan, Dooher Mc Guigan & Co to create space for the men inside. Cant see Kerry allowing them to build this momentum from deep, and any space in front of Cavanagh, if at FF will be well covered with the blanket.

Hopefully an entertaing encounter in store. Kerry by 4.
M.O.T.M - Tommy Walsh

KERRYMAD

Nice one rrhf and the same sentiments back re the good wishes, may the best team win and lets hope there is no bad call by a ref that will have either side moaning afterwards.

although alot of the media put kerry as favourites the tyrone team is an opponent we have alot of footballing respect for in kerry, this year especially and i dont think anyone expects tyrone to give up until the last whistle.

i think Galvin will make a huge influence when introduced and if the tyrone half back line get a bit of momentum i could see galvin on the pitch within the first 20 minutes if he doesnt start.

do team sheets matter who really thinks tommy griffin wont start sunday?? unless he has an injury.

up the kingdom and three cheers for tyrone we have enjoyed the ride

Uladh

I can't see griffen starting - who would he mark?