Tyrone v Kerry All Ireland Final 2008

Started by Seany, August 31, 2008, 08:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Good luck tyrone on Sunday and may you bring Sam back up North. From an Armagh man. C'mon Tyrone ;) :D
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

KERRYMAD

surely his fielding at fullback would be better than tom o'sullivans remember corks late goal, and padraig reidy is not renound for his speed although i think he is a fine footballer?

i guess pat o shea has the inside line but from an observor point of view i think since he has come into defence for kerry fewer questions have been asked.

His phisical presence alone makes a big difference, i bet tyrone would prefer to have reidy rather than griffin.

ardmhachaabu

This Armagh man can't bring himself to wish Tyrone anything but the biggest hiding they have ever had in championship football.  I have no love for kerry either but having played against Tyronies when I was at school etc, there is no way I want to see them win anything, not even the McKenna Cup.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Yes I Would

Kerrys full back will have little or no fielding to do!! Tyrone wont be kicking aimless ball.

Like previous games the running game will employed to work the free man within range where all are adept at taking the score.

maddog

Good luck Tyrone in both minor and senior, do the double. I'll be there.
If you do normal hostilities are resumed as of Monday morning ;)

downredblack

County then Province . Good luck to the Beards on Sunday .

KERRYMAD

Tyrone may have to adapt their game if the kerry half back line holds up whitch i feel they will so the next option is a high ball.

tyrone have played a running game up until now as have kerry but come sunday the quickest route may win out as the half backs on both sides are able footballers.

his holiness nb

Well this is it, the last breath of the intercounty year, its been a good one imo with many good games and plenty of shocks. This year is one where we can definately say the best two teams in the country have made the final.
All thats left to say is best of luck to both teams and may the best team win.

Oh yeah, and up the Dubs  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

J70

Quote from: downredblack on September 19, 2008, 05:06:26 PM
County then Province . Good luck to the Beards on Sunday .

Indeed. Can't help but shout for the Tyrone boys on Sunday. Hope its a good tight game though.

mournerambler

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on September 19, 2008, 05:00:44 PM
This Armagh man can't bring himself to wish Tyrone anything but the biggest hiding they have ever had in championship football.  I have no love for kerry either but having played against Tyronies when I was at school etc, there is no way I want to see them win anything, not even the McKenna Cup.
For jasus sake would you catch a grip of yourself & give them a bit of support, isn't it the unique thing in Ulster that when a team from the Province reaches an All-Ireland Final that the whole province is rooting for them.
Wishing both Tyrone teams success in Sunday's final's.

ziggysego

Christ Almighty, even Tony wants to see Tyrone win!!
Testing Accessibility

Fear ón Srath Bán

Some great sentiments there folks.

The first All-Ireland Final I was at was that of the 'Twelve Apostles' in 1983, standing as a solitary Nordie in a heaving sea of Dubs on Hill 16, as they dished out unholy abuse on the referee (John Gough, Antrim) who was doing his level best with the bunch of gurriers and muck savages  ;) he had to mediate between. A losing battle if ever there was one. "What da fcuk whould that nordie bollix know about foo'ball?" was one of the more frequent refrains, at least to these nordie ears. I believe they regulated the entry to the Hill after that year.

Then to Croke again in 1984 to see Tír Eoghain  (for the first time at that stage of the competition) against Áth Cliaith, although the omens weren't good, and the result wasn't either. The great Frank Mc Guigan hardly saw the ball, but Tyrone were fatally rattled when they chose to 'put it up' to the Dubs and decided to warm up into the Hill 16 end. So did Dublin. 3-0 in the psychological warfare.

Not back again until '95. After the game I wandered up to Cassidys on Camden Street, where a friendly Dub told me that I might be better off heading up to the Portobello, where there'd be more Tyrone or Ulster lads; it seems that even though we'd lost, we were still a threat (premonitionary perhaps?), but he did only have my best interests at heart.

2003. Script torn asunder, in our favour, for a change. Michael O'Sullivan (ex-Garda) trying to flatten Páidí, not a sight for sore Kerry eyes. But were we happy! We headed straight for O'Shea's The Merchants on Merchants' Quay -- the greatest and best Kerry pub in Dublin. "I wouldn't go in there if I was you mate", said the Cockney at the door to the three of us in our Tyrone tops. But in we went, for it wasn't mischief we were up to, quite the reverse. It ended up where one of our number was on stage, and we couldn't get him off it. Great night, and to be fair the Kerry folk embraced us with open arms, despite their emphatic and bitter disappointment.

2005. Script adhered to. No more shall we appear in Croke and assume the role of the submissive. Three points to spare, and could have been more. Is this Heaven or am I still on Earth?... Whatever... Whoooooooo.....

2008. Minors and Seniors both appearing for the first time in our history. A massive credit to all involved in this achievement thus far. Hopes high, but nothing assumed. Here's for a great occasion, match and spectacle.

Go n-éirigh an bóthar le Ciarraí, Maigh Eo agus Tír Eoghain!

Slán to all.

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

red hander

Quote from: rrhf on September 19, 2008, 04:12:00 PM
On Sunday Tyrone play their 5th all ireland senior final in 22 years.  My first game following Tyrone was November 84, V Armagh Frank Mc guigans last game for his county.  After winning a great Ulster that year and with a settled Mc Guigan in all star form, it was probably hoped that Tyrone could challenge again and stronger the following year and pick up another coveted Ulster Championship - only 3 having come our way before that year.   Mc Guigans car accident smothered that hope.  Derry took Tyrone in a muddy Balinascreen battlefield the following May
In 86 a Tyrone team that were failing again in a dour championship battle to Derry produced a magical late goal by centre half back Noel Mc Ginn to stop the demise continuing.  The ripple of hope led to the most memorable season in Tyrone football history culminating in an all ireland final and a Mc Cabe penalty to win the game with 20 minutes to go.........
There was something there though and by 89 we had unfinished business and we hadnt our heads right to play Mayo.
By 95 we had hope a promising new team and momentum was rolling but we didnt realise how much more it was important it would be for the GAA if the Dubs could only win...
By 96 we were arrogant again and we thought we could win it without taking hits, without being cynical...
In 2002 we had a national league but we needed to beat Sligo to take out Armagh and have a go...
In 2003 we floated to an all Ireland win many lessons learned along the way, many tweaks, but a great win
In 05 we learned to tamper with and develop our system  along the way to await inspiration, to take our chances when they came, to play champagne football.
In 2008 Tyrone face their biggest test,.  The county is preparing 2 teams for 2 all irelands on one day.  This is the systems they put in place, this is the stuff club Tyrone told us could happen and would happen.  This is Tyrones greatest day.  Its been a journey for us all whether your first all Irelanmd was in 05 or your looking forward to your 5th - the message is the same.  Good luck to these incredible people from Tyrone who have kept the dream alive and who keep bringing us back to the table.  Good luck also to Mayo and Kerry men themselves with their own dreams for the day.        

Great post RRHF ... nobody (i.e the so-called experts) gave us a hope in 2003 ... nobody gave us a hope in 2005 ... These same experts aren't giving us a hope in 2008 ... know what I say ... F*** EM!!!!!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Here, suck on some of these:

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

under the bar

QuoteThis Armagh man can't bring himself to wish Tyrone anything but the biggest hiding they have ever had in championship football.

Spoken like a true buckfast-swilling cider monkey, as opposed to  a true GAA supporter............