2008 Ulster Club Championships

Started by Our Nail Loney, August 22, 2008, 11:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidelineKick

Quote from: amigo on December 04, 2008, 11:50:07 AM
I am talking about Kernan's yellow card !!

Did you ever think that Conor started this as he was annoyed at not getting a free? Kernan struggled with him and ended up getting a slap on the mouth during it? It can happen amigo!  My point is, we know Conways didn't happen.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

full back

Quote from: amigo on December 04, 2008, 11:50:07 AM
Quote from: full back on December 04, 2008, 11:48:32 AM
Quote from: amigo on December 04, 2008, 11:47:07 AM
Quote from: full back on December 04, 2008, 11:42:58 AM
Quote from: amigo on December 04, 2008, 11:27:58 AM
BOth players tangled and one went down feigning injury!! I am not saying there was no contact made in either incident Sideline. What i am saying is that neither of the players were injured improve.

So everytime a player goes down he is injured??
I would say a player would be hurt rather than injured.
If a true injury was the case every time a player goes down it would end up 5 a side

BTW, is this your interpretation of the Tony K incident?
Kernan tackled Wilkinson & he went to ground
Wilkinson complained to ref & got nothing.
Wilkinson ran after Kernan, when he got beside Kernan, Kernan dropped to the ground 'feigning injury' ???

Well he hardly received the yellow card for diving on the ground !!!

What are you on about then FFS?

I am talking about Kernan's yellow card !!

You said he 'feigned injury'
Either he did or he got hit, from what you are saying Wilkinson ran over to him and that was that ???
Im confused, I think perhaps so are you............

amigo

BOth players tangled and one went down feigning injury!! I am not saying there was no contact made in either incident Sideline. What i am saying is that neither of the players were injured and were merely trying to get their opponent sent off. Is their much of a difference in that and Darren Conway's actions. I don't think so!! I must say as a neutral at the game on Sunday i thoroughly enjoyed it!! I might settle for the TV this weekend all the same if the weather doesn't improve.

I said both players tangled and one went down. What i am saying is there is no way he was hurt!! There was nothing in it, he ws trying to get his opponent sent off !!

full back

Quote from: amigo on December 04, 2008, 11:59:20 AM
BOth players tangled and one went down feigning injury!! I am not saying there was no contact made in either incident Sideline. What i am saying is that neither of the players were injured and were merely trying to get their opponent sent off. Is their much of a difference in that and Darren Conway's actions. I don't think so!! I must say as a neutral at the game on Sunday i thoroughly enjoyed it!! I might settle for the TV this weekend all the same if the weather doesn't improve.

I said both players tangled and one went down. What i am saying is there is no way he was hurt!! There was nothing in it, he ws trying to get his opponent sent off !!

You said he 'feigned injury', how do you know he wasnt hurt?

SidelineKick

Quote from: full back on December 04, 2008, 12:01:17 PM
Quote from: amigo on December 04, 2008, 11:59:20 AM

You said he 'feigned injury', how do you know he wasnt hurt?

My point exactly.  We seen clearly from video footage Conway definitely wasn't hurt (not where he was holding anyway).

You seen an incident for a few seconds amigo and have based your opinion on that. Tony Kernan could have got a box to the mouth and been hurt by it.  To state so clearly that he definitely wasn't hurt cannot be accurate in any way!
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Final Whistle

amigo in talking about things he does not have a clue about shocker!!!![/u]

fool, your the boy who comes out and slaps the back off them late september. bet you were one calling for harte's head in may!! then hailing him as messiah in september.

come on amigo, talk about the price of lamb or the weather implications on a rural and backward community-something you at least known something about!!!

corn02

Quote from: SidelineKick on December 04, 2008, 11:48:03 AM
Quote from: corn02 on December 04, 2008, 11:44:40 AM
Absolutely and I totally agree, it has to be punished much more severly. But my point is that people a re making out as if Conway is the devil here. I am simply saying that he shouldn't neccesarily be chastised so severly as it happensin nearly every game.

I see where you're coming from corn but my point is, if we can't start to stamp this out by using the televised games with actual non-debatable evbidence, then when and how can we expect to stop this rot?

Yeah good point, Conway knew the cameras were there, you face the consequenxes, or you should, I have a bit of sympathy for him in this witch hunt. Not because he was innocent, but because there is no structure in place to deal with it. As Hardy says there is a rule, I think it is in the sportsmanship bracket, it needs to be enforced.

amigo

Quote from: Final Whistle on December 04, 2008, 12:10:35 PM

fool, your the boy who comes out and slaps the back off them late september. bet you were one calling for harte's head in may!! then hailing him as messiah in september.

come on amigo, talk about the price of lamb or the weather implications on a rural and backward community-something you at least known something about!!!

You really are showing your immaturity FW!! ;D ;D ;D ;D I love it !!! Why not tell us the SON story again. LOL

WolfeTone

Quote from: screenexile on December 01, 2008, 03:34:58 PM
Quote from: WolfeTone on December 01, 2008, 03:11:48 PM
Quote from: amigo on December 01, 2008, 03:09:57 PM
Oisin's goal should have been disallowed for taking nine steps!!!

Neda watch the tape 2nite to make sure of that one, but im nearly certain he fouled on the ball by switching hands? Neda watch it tonight to be certain, but i thought it at the time

Where did this changing hands myth come from? Utter nonsense!

Utter nonesense?

RULE 4 - TECHNICAL FOULS

4.10 (a)  To change the ball from one hand to the other without the original holding hand maintaining contact until the change is completed.

(b) To change the ball from one hand to the other more than once - unless the ball is bounced or toe-tapped between the changes.

Good job I'm here to keep ye right screen  ;)
Dougal: What's going on?
Priest: I think Ted has a plan
Dougal: No. I mean in general.

Hardy

Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 04, 2008, 11:52:39 AM
Quote from: Hardy on December 04, 2008, 11:12:29 AM
No need for the video - you can take my word for it.

I disagree completely that feigning injury has long been a part of the game, unless Paddy joined the army in this millennium. It was unheard of altogether before the eighties. Spillane was the first to flirt with it on one celebrated occasion. It was celebrated because it was new and unheard of. Barney Rock stayed down a few seconds too long once and was famously hauled to his feet by Mick Holden. You'll struggle to find anyone who can give you a third example from the eighties or any at all before that. It was rare enough to be remarkable through the nineties, with only a few notable exponents plying their trade (Martin Lynch comes to mind). But it's out of all control now.

I'm happy enough to give you Lyons. My memory in this case isn't correct.

So did Paddy join the army in the 80s? Anyone who watched Spillane's footballing career would know that was an integral part of his game from before he ever played for Kerry Seniors. Ask Brendan Tully who was sent off in an under-21 semi-final in '74 for allegedly striking Spillane. Ask Gabriel Bradley how Spillane behaved in the AI semi-final of '76. To say that it is recent is wrong. The MacRory Cup final in 1965 was decided by a controversial penalty when the attacking player dived (something he happily admits to know). Greater coverage of games, more camera at games catching more incidents means that it appears more prevalent. Do you think incidents like Conway's or O'Mahoney's are more common now than they were in the 70s. Would Conway's antics even merit a mention here if it hadn't been caught on camera?

One of the main problems is that some of the greatest exponents of such practices (i.e. the biggest cheats) are lauded as some of the all-time greats of the game.

SS, you seem to be conflating two entirely separate kinds of  cheating - feigning injury and feigning being fouled in order to get a free. Neither is acceptable, but one is an order of magnitude more heinous than the other. The incidence of both has increased massively in recent times, but especially the injury feigning.  I stand by my assertion that feigning injury was practically unheard of before the 80s and quite rare until recent times. In fact it was complete anathema to the culture and ethos of the game, where to even admit injury was to exhibit weakness and vulnerability. I can assure you that I saw and participated in more games in the seventies than I do now, even when most of what I see I see on television. I can't recall ever seeing a  player pretend to be hurt in a game I watched and definitely never saw it in a game I played in.

I do acknowledge one influence of television as I mentioned in a previous post - television is instrumental in the rapid spread of the tendency.

QuoteFor a middle-aged man, you are being incredibly naive. Is it because I shouted at your mate yesterday?

No need to get personal. I'm far from naive. I don't understand the last question.

corn02

Quote from: WolfeTone on December 04, 2008, 12:14:50 PM

Neda watch the tape 2nite to make sure of that one, but im nearly certain he fouled on the ball by switching hands? Neda watch it tonight to be certain, but i thought it at the time

Utter nonesense?

RULE 4 - TECHNICAL FOULS

4.10 (a)  To change the ball from one hand to the other without the original holding hand maintaining contact until the change is completed.

(b) To change the ball from one hand to the other more than once - unless the ball is bounced or toe-tapped between the changes.

I remember QUB LALALA and a housemate having a massive arguemnt about McConville's goal against Dr Crokes in the final. One of them, can't remeber which one, was insistent that it was a foul and should have been a free out.

Final Whistle

QuoteQuote from: Final Whistle on Today at 12:10:35 PM

You really are showing your immaturity FW!!     I love it !!! Why not tell us the SON story again. LOL

id rather let you take the plaudits for revealing that "top class inside source" ;D ;D ;D

Bogball XV

Utter nonesense?

RULE 4 - TECHNICAL FOULS

noticed that myself when looking through the rule book, it'd be a hard one for the ref to call all the same - bit like square ball

screenexile

Utter nonesense?

RULE 4 - TECHNICAL FOULS

4.10 (a)  To change the ball from one hand to the other without the original holding hand maintaining contact until the change is completed.

Good job I'm here to keep ye right screen  ;)

Sorry but this stems from an agument I had with someone about Mulligans goal against the Dubs a few years ago. To have committed a foul by "switching/changing hands"  means you have to effectively throw the ball up with one and and catch it with the other... I have yet to see an instance of this in any game I've watched this year. It is not a natural movement and occurs EXTREMELY rarely in our games.

I am well aware of the rule above having cited it before but it clearly states that you are allowed to switch hands as long as both hands are in contact with the ball at the point it is switched!

the green man

Watched McConvilles goal again. No foul, as he only changed the ball from hands once.