All Ireland Senior Hurling Final - Port Láirge vs Cill Chainnigh - 7/09/2008

Started by dodo, August 17, 2008, 07:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodo

Waterford have finally managed to get to the AIF again for the first time since 1963, in doing so they will have most neutrals hoping that they can go on and win it. They will definitely start as underdogs following on from Kilkennys most impressive win over Cork last weekend. This will suit Waterford as the favourites tag doesn't rest very comfortably on their shoulders like against Limerick in last years semifinal loss. In Davy Fitzgerald they seem to have an astute manager that can get the best out of them, but will their best be good enough to take Kilkenny ? It would be fantastic if they produce one of the fairytale wins that would crown the careers of such class hurlers like Ken McGrath, Tony Brown and Eoin Kelly.
Big Dan will have to up his game considerably, his movement today looked very cumbersome but he has 3 weeks to get himself sorted. There will be great craic along the county border now for this AIF. If the Déise do manage to lift the Liam McCarthy cup I'd say it will be celebrated like no other AI win going on the scenes from today's semi.

orangeman

Waterford are there on merit - I thought their defence was very good today, albeit helped by some rather favourable reffing decisions - Big Dan has lost form completely - I wonder is he feeling guitly about what he did to Justin ?.

Defnsively Waterford can hold Kilkenny - can Waterford score enough to win the game ?

slow corner back

Waterford lifted a huge weight off their shoulders today. All the semi final losses must have weighed like a millstone round the neck for the players. Perhaps now they can relax going into the final. They will be underdogs of course which takes pressure off so perhaps they can go and play with some of the freedom of expression which they have played with over the last 6 or 7 years. The only fly in the ointment and it is a rather large one is that the cats are well used to being favourites for an AIF. A tantalising final in prospect with waterford trying to bridge a 40+ year gap and the cats trying to bridge a 90+ year gap since they did 3 in a row. Lots to play for and for us neutrals to enjoy, should be a cracker.

imtommygunn

I have a sneaky feeling big Dan is due a big game and the final could be the time he'll do it.

I would actually say OM that I felt the referee, in my eyes anyway, favoured Tipp a little bit.

I could point to a few examples - Corbett not seeing red, Eoin Kelly(WF) not even touching the FB coming out and still the ref giving Tipp a foul, Eoin Kelly(Tipp) fielding the ball and then falling from what seemed like his own momentum and getting a foul, Eoin Murphy getting shouldered when going down on the ball and Tipp scoring the point.

They have nothing to lose in the final. Everyone expects them to take a beating. If everyone clicks on the day they can put it up to KK. Everyone will need to click though.

AZOffaly

My initial thoughts on this are that Kilkenny will stand with Waterford for 20 minutes, let them blow themselves out, and then strike for 2 quick goals either side of half time and go on to win by about 8 or 9 points. Yesterdays game was great, but the difference in quality with the semi final last week was stark. Waterford, especially, and Tipp took an age to get the ball up in their hands, and there was some poor striking. Kilkenny and Cork lifted the ball first time, most of the time, and were far crisper.

Waterford are in a great position. They have good forwards, a (now) good half back line, and Brick Walsh starting to motor. They are big underdogs and have nothing to lose, so they'll have a right go.

For them to win, though, Kilkenny will have to be 'off', and Waterford will have to be seriously 'on'. I think Kilkenny are 8 points a better team at least, but you don't win games on paper.

seafoid

Did Offay ever win an all Ireland where they started as favourites ?

I am really happy for all the good hurling people in Waterford - especially Deiseach and Deise girl. This  all-ireland final has been a very long time coming.  It seemed that true laochra iomanaiochta like Paul Flynn , Tony Browne and Ken McGrath would never get their day  in the sun. There were so many heartbreaks - I was in Porky Corky in 2000 when Tipp beat them and even then it was hard to stomach.

In terms of emotional impact I think only Mayo breaking the duck would be equivalent.   

If they stick with KK until the final 10 mins and are within 6 points then a Dooley style goal from a free and a couple of high balls into the full forward would be enough to make a 5 point win.

I am delighted for Eoin Kelly as well. As some fella from Mount Sion said about him, he's a fecker but he's their fecker.

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on August 18, 2008, 04:49:01 PM

I am really happy for all the good hurling people in Waterford - especially Deiseach and Deise girl. This  all-ireland final has been a very long time coming.  It seemed that true laochra iomanaiochta like Paul Flynn , Tony Browne and Ken McGrath would never get their day  in the sun. There were so many heartbreaks - I was in Porky Corky in 2000 when Tipp beat them and even then it was hard to stomach.

In terms of emotional impact I think only Mayo breaking the duck would be equivalent.   

If they stick with KK until the final 10 mins and are within 6 points then a Dooley style goal from a free and a couple of high balls into the full forward would be enough to make a 5 point win.

I am delighted for Eoin Kelly as well. As some fella from Mount Sion said about him, he's a fecker but he's their fecker.

I'm happy for them too, and I'd say Offaly may have been favourites in 1994, but I can't remember. But as you say, and as I alluded to, favourites don't always win. Waterford have the hurlers in key positions to take advantage of Kilkenny if they have an off day, and they are only human after all.

Finally, as for Kelly, he's not Mount Sion's fecker any more :D

seafoid

Didn't Kelly move to Passage where the fiancee lives or something like that ?

Waterford have leaders all over the field and if they can get the rhythm going one more time they must be in with a chance. They must have 6 or 7 hurlers that would walk onto any team when they are on form.  Winning that semi might lift a lot of pressure off them. It's only 70 minutes of hurling for a chance at eternity. The Kilkenny lads would hardly miss one all Ireland either.   

KK look very good but this is the third year on the go and it's theirs to lose. It looks like the Liverpool-Wimbledon cup final of was it 1988 before the FA cup got all dull and predictable. 

It's very refreshing to have Cork out of the Championship by the middle of august too. Give me Waterford's electricity  over Donal Og Cusack's meticulousness any day. 

Seeing the thread header -all Ireland final- port lairge... does a lot of good.

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on August 18, 2008, 05:24:32 PM

Waterford have leaders all over the field and if they can get the rhythm going one more time they must be in with a chance. They must have 6 or 7 hurlers that would walk onto any team when they are on form.  Winning that semi might lift a lot of pressure off them. It's only 70 minutes of hurling for a chance at eternity. The Kilkenny lads would hardly miss one all Ireland either.   

KK look very good but this is the third year on the go and it's theirs to lose. It looks like the Liverpool-Wimbledon cup final of was it 1988 before the FA cup got all dull and predictable. 

It's very refreshing to have Cork out of the Championship by the middle of august too. Give me Waterford's electricity  over Donal Og Cusack's meticulousness any day. 

Yeah, he's Passage now. I think they're a junior or intermediate club?

I agree with all of what you say, apart from maybe the 6 or 7 walking onto the Kilkenny team. I think Kilkenny have 3 or 4 substitutes that would walk onto the Waterford team. But anyway, I agree it would be great to see the win it. It would be some session in Waterford.

dodo

Quote from: seafoid on August 18, 2008, 05:24:32 PM

I know what you mean in the David vs Goliath comparison but the Wimbledon comparison is a bit tough on Waterford. Waterford light up the championship with their style and passion, Wimbledon were journeymen footballers who played a dull, boring system to win 1-0. If Waterford win it will most definitely not be dull and boring, hell, even if they lose it will be highly enteraining.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 18, 2008, 04:52:27 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 18, 2008, 04:49:01 PM

I'm happy for them too, and I'd say Offaly may have been favourites in 1994, but I can't remember. But as you say, and as I alluded to, favourites don't always win. Waterford have the hurlers in key positions to take advantage of Kilkenny if they have an off day, and they are only human after all.

Finally, as for Kelly, he's not Mount Sion's fecker any more :D

Did Mount Sion not get rid of him after a row ?

Galforever

QuoteDid Mount Sion not get rid of him after a row ?

The version I heard was that he was getting fed up of people from Mount Sion spying on him al the time. He would be in the pub drinking a lucozade for a few minutes and it would get back to Mount Sion that he was out on the tear all night. and so he left. Dont know how true that is though

Galforever

QuoteI have a sneaky feeling big Dan is due a big game and the final could be the time he'll do it.

You might not be far off the mark here. He didnt have a terrible game in the semi. He seemed to be the one laying off the ball for a lot of Waterfords scores. He could be on fire in the final.

orangeman

Quote from: Galforever on August 21, 2008, 04:08:34 PM
QuoteDid Mount Sion not get rid of him after a row ?

The version I heard was that he was getting fed up of people from Mount Sion spying on him al the time. He would be in the pub drinking a lucozade for a few minutes and it would get back to Mount Sion that he was out on the tear all night. and so he left. Dont know how true that is though

Probably had a couple of vodkas in the lucozade !  ;)

milltown row

and if he had vodkas in it fair play. i dont think Eoin has had too many bad games for club and county.