All Ireland Senior Hurling Final - Port Láirge vs Cill Chainnigh - 7/09/2008

Started by dodo, August 17, 2008, 07:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Lads, if Kilkenny operate at 100%, then whether Waterford are bouncing or not is a moot point. Kilkenny at 100% are 5-10 points better than any other team in the country, at least. However, they are only human. Waterford need to make sure they are operating at 100% themselves, and if they are, they have the hurlers to take advantage of any Kilkenny off days. I don't think Kilkenny will have an off day because of complacency, but they may just have 'one of those days'.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 26, 2008, 10:17:22 AM
Lads, if Kilkenny operate at 100%, then whether Waterford are bouncing or not is a moot point. Kilkenny at 100% are 5-10 points better than any other team in the country, at least. However, they are only human. Waterford need to make sure they are operating at 100% themselves, and if they are, they have the hurlers to take advantage of any Kilkenny off days. I don't think Kilkenny will have an off day because of complacency, but they may just have 'one of those days'.
[/b]

It's a long time since Kilkeeny had one of those off days - it took a magnificent Cork team t deny them before and Waterford, with respect are not on a par with the Cork team of a few years ago.

AZOffaly

I agree about Kilkenny's consistency, but I would have a bit more grá for the ability of the Waterford team than you. I think they have the hurlers to take advantage of any Kilkenny mishap, but I agree they won't win if both teams hurl 100%.

orangeman

I suppose we'd like to see a real thriller on 7th September but Kilkenny won't be interested in providing entertainment - they're coming to Dublin to win an AI and it doesn't matter on jot to them how they achieve it or whether or not it's part of 3 in a row or 10 in a row !

sligeach

Anyone would have to agree with a lot of previous comments here.

Waterford HAVE to play at their best, if not beyond it to even stand a chance against this Kilkenny team operating at 90%.

man for man, you'd be very hard pressed to come up with a single name on the Waterford 15 that would be better then his Kilkenny counterpart.

If Waterford are going to win this they will need to play out of their skins, they will need Kilkenny to NOT play at their best and they need about a gallon of luck sprinkled on top.

Some people have said that this Kilkenny team don't have the hunger, that they don't have the physical fight in them. bs, any team that has tried to outclass Kilkenny have been shown what class really is, any team that has tried to physically dominate this kilkenny team have gotten thrown round the field twice as hard back.

This Kilkenny team will be remembered for a long, long time.

imtommygunn

Unfortunately I see as a problem that in talking about off days if Waterford had one from ,for example , Eoin Kelly they're scuppered. In the Leinster final Richie Power was the man - the last day he'd a bad day as did Comerford but they've the backup to pull them through. This ,I think, will be a big problem. If one big scorer is poor another one will stand up.Waterford, IMO, don't have enough big scorers and Dan the man needs to get the finger out.

bannside

First AIF itis would be a big problem. Lots of teams have crumbled under the pressure of the occasion. It would be exceptionally rare if at least three or four dont get lost completely, especially in the first half. I know of players who admitted that they missed scores they would have put over at under ten level, but due to the occasion they lost the power of their arms completely. And quite a few of the same team mates admitted to the same problem.

Kilkenny by 5 normally, but because of above, I reckon kilkenny by 10. Handicap betting i reckon will be kilkenny at evens minus 6 or 8.

Bacon

I'd love to see waterford win it simply because hurling needs a new face. But I agree with the lad above - The Cats can win it easy if they want. 10 pts + i'd say. Look at Limerick last year!
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

dodo

Comparisons with Limerick in final last year don't stack up IMO. Limerick surprised most people by coming from nowhere to reach the '07 AIF. Waterford have been there or thereabouts for the last decade, having the ability to beat Cork in the championship but of course have yet to beat Kilkenny. Kilkenny are hot favourites, but maybe having reached the final will liberate the Déise lads as so many people are writing them off. You can imagine Davy Fitz screeching at them that nobody thinks that they're up to it and them going hell for leather for the 70+ minutes.

orangeman

Can't see there being 10+ points in it - maybe 5 to Kilkenny. Waterford aren't a bad side - what kind of weather is forecast ? A bad day is a great leveller.

thejuice

Really looking forward to it. Fingers crossed Waterford can pull it off. Was reading a few posts on different sites from Deise around the world. A lot of them flying home for the occasion. It will be quite the party if they do it. This for me is the highlight of the sporting year. Even if Kilkenny win it will be historic in the sense of them winning 3 in a row but I dont think it will create the hysterical reaction like we saw after the semi.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

the Deel Rover

looking forward to the match myself really hope that waterford do it would especially like to see john mullane get his hands on a medal. Anyone know what odds waterford are to win it ?  I'd say there will be no one left in waterford on sunday bound to be a few stirring songs been released now  :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Minder

Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 04, 2008, 10:27:33 AM
looking forward to the match myself really hope that waterford do it would especially like to see john mullane get his hands on a medal. Anyone know what odds waterford are to win it ?  I'd say there will be no one left in waterford on sunday bound to be a few stirring songs been released now  :D

I think Waterford are about 11/4, Kilkenny 10/11 (-5)
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Lecale2

The weather forecast for the weekend is very bad so that could level things a bit.

Are the teams being announced tonight?

EddieMerx

Quote from: Lecale2 on September 04, 2008, 10:52:57 AM
The weather forecast for the weekend is very bad so that could level things a bit.

Are the teams being announced tonight?

Well I don't know about rain being the great leveller, Rain tends to favour the players with good first touch and physical strength. Kilkenny in my books come out on top in both of these