All Ireland Senior Hurling Final - Port Láirge vs Cill Chainnigh - 7/09/2008

Started by dodo, August 17, 2008, 07:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

I think Waterford have no choice but to persist with Big Dan and hope he comes good.
However with Kelly going so well at full forward, then there isn't much point in putting Shanahan near the square.
So wing forward is the place for him for the moment.
However he looks very slow this year, his striking is cumbersome and he is hitting the ball while standing still most times.

If Hickey is getting the better of Kelly or dispatches him to the Mater decapitated ;D then maybe you could throw Shanahan up there to vary it.

under the bar

From the outside looking in I'd expect that Davy Fitz biggest challenge will be preventing players freezing on the big occasion.  If Waterford play at their best they can do it but they have to treat it like a league final and not get bedazzled by one eye on Liam McCarthy.    One thing in their favour unlike last year v Limerick is that they are the underdogs and everyone thinks its the Cats to lose.

orangeman

Quote from: milltown row on August 22, 2008, 08:41:33 AM
and if he had vodkas in it fair play. i dont think Eoin has had too many bad games for club and county.

Maybe they help alright. Which club do you mean ??

What about tickets down there Milltown ? Is there a scramble ?

orangeman

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on August 22, 2008, 08:45:14 AM
I think Waterford have no choice but to persist with Big Dan and hope he comes good.
However with Kelly going so well at full forward, then there isn't much point in putting Shanahan near the square.
So wing forward is the place for him for the moment.
However he looks very slow this year, his striking is cumbersome and he is hitting the ball while standing still most times.

If Hickey is getting the better of Kelly or dispatches him to the Mater decapitated ;D then maybe you could throw Shanahan up there to vary it.

In all the matches this year, plan B if Eoin Kelly is not going well, is to bring him to wing forward and put Big Dan inside - they persisted with this until he got the goal against Wexford - it took a long time and probably other managers would have had Dan off long before he scored the goal - but Davy obviously has faith in him ( maybe he has to have faith in him or else Big Dan and co. could lead a revolt ) so he kept him there and the rest is history.

meathie

cant wait for this game, have been a big fan of Waterford for many years. How are tickets going around there? I suppose the Decies will out number the Cats by 2 to one....

NAG

Find this a very hard match to call, up until the players shafted mccarthy earlier in the year i would firmly behind them no matter who they played but now i find it hard to support them.
Found myself shouting for tipp last weekend, not sure if that was due to a dislike for waterford now or a dislike for the qualifiers.

As has been said I think waterford will live with them up to half time and then kilkenny can go into another gear and blow them out of the water. Hope it is close for the excitement factor but cant see it somehow.

Minder

To me "Dan The Man" as the commentators infuriatingly call him does not seem as fit as previous years, last year on top of his skill levels and catching ability he was a fantastic athlete.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

orangeman

Quote from: Minder on August 22, 2008, 02:05:19 PM
To me "Dan The Man" as the commentators infuriatingly call him does not seem as fit as previous years, last year on top of his skill levels and catching ability he was a fantastic athlete.

Someone on this thread earlier said that he had eaten too many prize giving dinners !

Minder

Quote from: orangeman on August 22, 2008, 02:08:46 PM

Someone on this thread earlier said that he had eaten too many prize giving dinners !

Thats exactly what i thought, he must of overdid it a bit on the prizegiving circuit. Still owns the best quote in years, took a point off Clares Seanie Mc Mahon and roared at him "ye arent f*cking marking Seanie Mc Grath now".........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

orangeman

Quote from: Minder on August 22, 2008, 02:45:38 PM

Thats exactly what i thought, he must of overdid it a bit on the prizegiving circuit. Still owns the best quote in years, took a point off Clares Seanie Mc Mahon and roared at him "ye arent f*cking marking Seanie Mc Grath now".........

I'd say Seanie Mac could mark him out of it even though he hasn't played as past few years.

heffo

Quote from: orangeman on August 22, 2008, 03:06:10 PM

I'd say Seanie Mac could mark him out of it even though he hasn't played as past few years.

That was Anthony Daly that 'Dan the man' said it to..

orangeman

Quote from: heffo on August 25, 2008, 10:29:07 AM
Quote from: orangeman on August 22, 2008, 03:06:10 PM

That was Anthony Daly that 'Dan the man' said it to..

I'd say Daly had some "form" of an answer for him !  ;) ;)

EddieMerx

The Cats by a margin of over 5 points, If they are on song we could see a bit of a mauling

orangeman

Quote from: EddieMerx on August 25, 2008, 06:35:24 PM
The Cats by a margin of over 5 points, If they are on song we could see a bit of a mauling

Don't think it - Davy has them bouncing and they'll be very hard to break down.

EddieMerx

"Don't think it - Davy has them bouncing and they'll be very hard to break down."

Limerick were bouncing last year but got a mauling, Cork were bouncing for the first 25 minutes this year against the cats, Wexford and Offaly were also bouncing for 35 mins against the Cats... I honestly don't believe Waterford are close to a Kilkenny team operating at near to 100%