Who will the new Dublin Manager be so?

Started by Uladh, August 16, 2008, 05:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

his holiness nb

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 09, 2008, 05:24:30 PM
Vincents have some power.

nail on head. I'd definately have taken Deegan. But if this does go ahead all us Dubs can do is accept it and throw our support behind the manager, no matter who he is.
Ask me holy bollix

paddypastit

I don't think that comparisons with Stan / Ol(oops)Bobby are fair at all.  To me this is clearly a new approach where Whelan is the head coach and somebody else manages and co-ordinates the whole set up.  The reality is that running a county team set up these days is much more like running a business than it is about football which is why a lot of good football people get washed away or fall foul of the CB and / or related politics. I say that with experience of both and I see merit in this approach.  I have also met and conversed with Whealan on a number of occasions in the past and he always struck me as somone that has a huge heart for the ball game, and no little ability in coaching in that regard - but neither the appetite or capability for the biiger circus that goes around it.  I honestly don't know if they are up to it but I think it is a very interesting and possibly revolutionary move.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

sean og

Gilroy same experience as Staunton in managing

INDIANA

on that basis whelan should be in charge paddy, because i cannot see whelan taking orders from anybody and lets face it i know more about them than anybody else here. I can't understand why they didn't simply nominate whelan and put him forward to see what the clubs thought. would have saved all the hassle, as being a club member i'd behind them , but i can see where other fans are coming from and its once again been extraordinarily badly handled by the incompetents that are the DCB.

liihb

anybody know anything about the other 2 lads, Paddy O'Donoghue and Paul Nugent?
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Doire abú

Quote from: INDIANA on October 09, 2008, 09:42:30 PM
on that basis whelan should be in charge paddy, because i cannot see whelan taking orders from anybody and lets face it i know more about them than anybody else here. I can't understand why they didn't simply nominate whelan and put him forward to see what the clubs thought. would have saved all the hassle, as being a club member i'd behind them , but i can see where other fans are coming from and its once again been extraordinarily badly handled by the incompetents that are the DCB.

You're going to have to remove that, I believe we've copyrighted any sentence including the words incompetence and DCB, in Derry.

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Doire abú

Has Pat Gilroy any managerial experience? Seems a strange appointment from the outside.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

heffo

Quote from: Gnevin on October 10, 2008, 10:01:09 AM
Quote from: Doire abú on October 10, 2008, 09:56:57 AM
Paul Nugent is from Thomas Davis' and Paddy O'Donoghue is from Kilmacud Crokes apparently.

http://www.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Other-sports/2008/10/09/GAA-Gilroy-confirmed-as-Dublin-boss/?facets/ireland-locale/sport-space/gaa/

Apparently but have never heard of them managing even minor county team.

Nigger Nugent was a feature of Dublin panels around 93/94 IIRC, never a stalwart - he won Division 1 as manager with Davis last year..

O'Donoghue won an AI with Crokes in '95 and is heavily involved in the Crokes juvenile section

orangeman

This appointment may not be as audacious as it seems - there is a lot of experience in this set up even if Pat himself hasn't much by way of managing teams -

It's a great name for a manager all the same isn't it ? Pat Gilroy !! There's a nice ring to it.  ;)

Dinny Breen

QuoteNigger Nugent was a feature of Dublin panels around 93/94 IIRC

Only in Ireland  :o
#newbridgeornowhere

his holiness nb

with all the experienced managers in the set up, you would really have to wonder why none of them are no1.

Maybe they have more cop on, after all, if things go tits up, its Pat that will be the fall guy.
Ask me holy bollix