Who will the new Dublin Manager be so?

Started by Uladh, August 16, 2008, 05:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

tyronefan

Gnevin

Interesting that Bealin is gone in Carlow

Paul Bealin has expressed his interest in the vacant Dublin senior football manager's position after he quit his role as Carlow boss on Monday night following just one year in charge.

Bealin, who has considerable club management experience in Dublin and Cavan with his own club, Ballyboden St Enda's and Mullahoran cited immediate work commitments as the main reason behind his departure from Carlow.

"I'd certainly be interested in talking to Dublin about the job," Bealin is quoted as saying in the Irish Independent.

"It's one I would always have loved a crack at.

"I'd sit down and listen to what Dublin have to say. I wouldn't hide my interest in that job."

Carlow are now facing the unenviable task of looking for their sixth manager in just over four years following on from Mick Condon, Luke Dempsey, Liam Hayes, John Kearns.

http://www.setantasports.com/en/Sport/News/Other-sports/2008/10/08/GAA-Bealin-on-Dublin-/?facets/sport-space/great-britain-locale/gaa/
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

INDIANA

I think this could be a good decision by the Dublin CB.

its too big a job in my view with no experience. but its his unless somethiing goes astray in the official ratification process. huge difficulty selling this to the public, obviously i'm biased so i'll exit the debate now, but the non-vins fans aren't happy. they see whelan as having failed the last time he had it, and gilroy with no experience. after the hiding by tyrone it won't inspire any confidence. I can see where they are coming from but as i said i'm not a neutral on it so i'll stay out of it.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Gnevin on October 08, 2008, 09:26:41 PM

Paul Bealin has expressed his interest in the vacant Dublin senior football manager's position after he quit his role as Carlow boss on Monday night following just one year in charge.

Bealin, who has considerable club management experience in Dublin and Cavan with his own club, Ballyboden St Enda's and Mullahoran cited immediate work commitments as the main reason behind his departure from Carlow.

"I'd certainly be interested in talking to Dublin about the job," Bealin is quoted as saying in the Irish Independent.

"I'd sit down and listen to what Dublin have to say. I wouldn't hide my interest in that job."

Carlow are now facing the unenviable task of looking for their sixth manager in just over four years following on from Mick Condon, Luke Dempsey, Liam Hayes, John Kearns.

http://www.setantasports.com/en/Sport/News/Other-sports/2008/10/08/GAA-Bealin-on-Dublin-/?facets/sport-space/great-britain-locale/gaa/

How can any journalist let him away with the work commitments arguement when he's publically touting for an even more time consuming intercounty post?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Declan

This is the text I got last night - Pat Gilroy new manager. They must be taking the piss. No ambitions to win Sam obviously.

On the face of it an unreal choice - Still in shock

heffo

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on October 08, 2008, 11:50:44 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on October 08, 2008, 09:26:41 PM

How can any journalist let him away with the work commitments arguement when he's publically touting for an even more time consuming intercounty post?

The same journalists don't exactly question other inter-county managers when they claim to be not receiving a penny, while sticking a six figure cheque in their pocket..

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

ildanach

i heard on the radio that micky whelan would be part of his  team. Maybe it will be like stan & bobby robson!!
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Hound

Gilroy will certainly be a surprise choice and a gamble.

Nobody has the faintest idea whether he'll be fantastic, useless, or somewhere in between.

Assuming Mickey Whelan is fit and well and hungry, he'll clearly be a very important man to have in the mix.

Many have mentioned the Stan & Robson comparisons, and its easy to see why. But its a bit of a cop out and you have to judge these things on their own merits. I would hope that Gilroy has more intelligence, influence and presence that Staunton ever had, and that Whelan will bring a lot more to the table than Robson did. There'll also be one or two more selectors to help them out.

his holiness nb

But has Gilroy ever managed anyone ever??

This is a crazy decision if it goes ahead. He may be intelligent, he may not. So why not pick someone who has proven to have intelligence as a manager, someone with a proven track record, some experience???

This is almost surreal.
Ask me holy bollix

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: his holiness nb on October 09, 2008, 03:49:27 PM
This is a crazy decision if it goes ahead. He may be intelligent, he may not. So why not pick someone who has proven to have intelligence as a manager, someone with a proven track record, some experience???

It seems to me no one with these qualities wanted the job. I could be wrong but did any proven manager want this job?

under the bar

Gilroy to take up the Dublin reins as Whelan returns

PAT GILROY will be unveiled as the Dublin football manager at noon tomorrow in Parnell Park. The county board secretary, John Costello, and chairman Gerry Harrington - after consulting such luminaries within the capital's GAA scene as Kevin Heffernan and Dr Pat O'Neill - are to put Gilroy's name before the county board delegates for ratification at a specially-convened meeting tonight.

Mickey Whelan is to be included on the management ticket as team trainer, completing a neat full circle since his acrimonious departure as Dublin manager midway through the 1999 league campaign, a position he held since replacing O'Neill in 1996.

Whelan (69) was Dublin minor coach when they reached the AllIreland final in 2003 and returned to the limelight last season guiding St Vincent's to the county, Leinster and All-Ireland titles.

Gilroy featured on that team, initially as an impact substitute but eventually becoming the starting full forward in the March decider against Cork champions Nemo Rangers.

The 36-year-old managing director of Dalkia Ireland, an environmental services company, has decent, if unheralded pedigree as a player having featured off the bench in the 1995 All-Ireland final victory over Tyrone - the last time the Sam Maguire Cup resided in Dublin.

He also came to prominence last year off the football pitch when included in a three-man shortlist to replace Liam Mulvihill as the director general of the GAA.

Although the position eventually went to Paraic Duffy, a member of the interview panel noted Gilroy's "sharp intellect" to the extent they considered overlooking his obvious lack of experience regarding the association's internal workings, in contrast to the long-serving administrative talents of Duffy.

The partnership with Whelan appears to bring complementary positives; Gilroy, a natural leader, communicator and clearly ambitious, while Whelan brings a vastly experienced (he won All-Ireland medals in 1958 and 1963) coaching background that even crosses into collegiate soccer in America.

The Dublin panel are to switch their permanent training base from Artane to Dublin City University in Glasnevin, a familiar environment for the panel anyway due to previous conditioning work with Prof Niall Moyna - a senior lecturer on campus in exercise physiology.

Whelan, Gilroy and Moyna also made up this year's DCU Sigerson Cup management team.

Brian Mullins had been the initial favourite to land the position and perhaps redirect the training base to University College Dublin, where he is head of sport while other members of the 1995 team, Mick Deegan and Paul Bealin, also threw their hat into the ring but the St Vincent's combination has proved the preferred option for Costello's selection committee.

The new management team can get right down to business on Monday evening with a host of current and prospective Dublin players on show in Parnell Park as defending champions St Vincent's face Kilmacud Crokes and Oliver Plunketts/Eoghan Ruadh meet Ballymun Kickhams in the county semi-finals.

On the Galway hurling front, the fate of Ger Loughnane will be revealed this evening as delegates vote to ratify or reject him for a third season in charge.

If Loughnane is not retained, or decides to withdraw, Michael Bond or a joint ticket of Anthony Cunningham and Jimmy Heverin will contest for the managerial position. Bond would include Joe Cooney, Steve Mahon and Michael Coleman as his selectors.

Damien Cassidy has replaced Paddy Crozier as Derry football manager. An All-Ireland winner with the county in 1993, Cassidy was previously a coach under the late Eamonn Coleman at Cavan and Derry.

Martin McConnell, Brendan McCrory and former Antrim footballer Kevin Madden make up the backroom team.

magpie seanie

Its an awful kick in the teeth for the likes of Mick Deegan. Vincents have some power. All that said it might work and I think it would not be difficult to be better than Pillar's regime.

ExiledGael

Quote from: his holiness nb on October 09, 2008, 03:49:27 PM
But has Gilroy ever managed anyone ever??

This is almost surreal.

Would you take Jason Ryan?