Who will the new Dublin Manager be so?

Started by Uladh, August 16, 2008, 05:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

paddypastit

Quote from: INDIANA on October 09, 2008, 09:42:30 PM
on that basis whelan should be in charge paddy, because i cannot see whelan taking orders from anybody and lets face it i know more about them than anybody else here. I can't understand why they didn't simply nominate whelan and put him forward to see what the clubs thought. would have saved all the hassle, as being a club member i'd behind them , but i can see where other fans are coming from and its once again been extraordinarily badly handled by the incompetents that are the DCB.
Again, and I respect that the point is being made with an obvious regard for both, I don't know that I'd agree. To put a context on that, I could personally see myself taking on a role as a 'manager' as I have extensive experience of football (playing, coaching, training and a little managing at all levels up to and including senior and intercounty and over a significant period) and of managing people... but have limited experience of managing football teams - the opportunity didn't present itself.  I could definitely transfer my experience of managing people back into the sporting world but I would happily defer to a more talented football coach than I could ever hope to be on the basis that he knows more than me and if I let him at it we have a better chance of success between us. That of course all depends on the realtionship between he and I and that I trust his methods and his judgement but take it as read that I wouldn't even approach the idea unless a relationship of trust was there in the first place.  What would be in it for the coach?  someone to deal with the board, the sponsors, the supporters, the media, the gear manufacturers, the organisation of the rest of the backroom team, the transport, the pitches etc... but who is doing so in a partnership and not as a suit or a 'jobsworth'.

I would liken this model to the way the IRFU have Kidney and McNaughton?... although that in fairness does lean back to your point about who is the main man on football.  My interpretation of the model is really 'head coach' and 'manager' in which case your point is that the head coach should be seen as the head and that isn't an unreasonable shout?  In any case good luck to them.  Whelan got shat upon the last time he was there and he desrves the opportunity to be successful in the face of that.  Gilroy I've only met once in a business context and he seemed a thporoughly decent and ordinary guy in the best sense of that word.  

come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

magpie seanie

paddypastit

Easy will ya... that's how rumours start and anyway who would be the coach...?

EDIT... please not SLIGONIAN!!!
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

lynchbhoy

Quote from: INDIANA on October 09, 2008, 09:42:30 PM
on that basis whelan should be in charge paddy, because i cannot see whelan taking orders from anybody and lets face it i know more about them than anybody else here. I can't understand why they didn't simply nominate whelan and put him forward to see what the clubs thought. would have saved all the hassle, as being a club member i'd behind them , but i can see where other fans are coming from and its once again been extraordinarily badly handled by the incompetents that are the DCB.
Gilroy is given the head job to ensure that whelan doesnt get the title of manager again after what the DBC term as his fiasco tenure as boss previously.
Whelan can run the show all he wants, and I think he kind of will, with Gilroy doing the PR and jointly managing the side fromthe inside.
Outwardly he will be seen to be the main man.
Obv the two get on well and have some kind of agreement, otherwise this would never have come about.

From a Dubs perspective, its a good result, as imo there was no one else that can match whelan for exp, leadership and strategy inside the county right now.

INDIANA

Do you not think though that the shambolic handling of the affair by the DCB has put undue pressure on the management? because the reaction in dublin is extraordinary

paddypastit

Quote from: INDIANA on October 10, 2008, 07:13:43 PM
Do you not think though that the shambolic handling of the affair by the DCB has put undue pressure on the management? because the reaction in dublin is extraordinary
How do you mean - extarordinarily negative (sorry I haven't left the desk all day)

INDIANA

unbelievably negative paddy, the process itself and the way it was conducted by the DCB hasn't helped.  they really have put the new management through the ringer to the extent that the first couple of NFL games have to go well otherwise the shit will start at that stage before we get near june. thats why i hope that tyrone game falls by the wayside.

lynchbhoy

it will all be forgotten in early 2009 and the expectation starts to kick in again. wouldnt be worried about it.