If you were giving out All Stars at this stage, who would be shoo ins ?

Started by orangeman, August 11, 2008, 02:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Quote from: Hardy on August 11, 2008, 04:13:13 PM
Semi-finalists will nearly always get at least one. If journalists are giving one to Wexford, who do you think will  get it? Also, rightly or wrongly, beaten quarter-finalists don't get All-Stars.
Derry got 2 last year ;)

DFS, I think Forde is a superb player and have done since I first witnessed him play in the flesh a few years ago, I just think that this year Wexford have found a few more players to go with him, that whole ff line carry a threat and Barry has been superb too, you are probably right though, if wexford get one, Forde will probably be the recipient and will probably be deserving of it, I mean his 2-8 in the semi-final victory over dublin will guarantee it anyway ;)

orangeman

JMohan

I think to date it's in the air

Marc O'Se is probably under pressure to hold his All Star.

Ryan is in on pencil for now. McGrath will be up against hard competition with O'Neill form Cork a driving force so far, even though Dara O'Se might be coming good once more at the right time. Has McGrane earned one? Lennon may get nominated but probably isn't in the reckoning.

Fracnie did well this year and perhaps exclduing the gaol would be probably leading the pack so far? An interesting suggestion would be McCusker for fullback. In the first League game 1 Donaghy was held ineffective, he tied him up in the League final, Vinne Corey was held scoreless in Clones, McFadden was snuffed out when he went back on him in both Donegal games and McBarron was taken off too.

Cussen is looking good at Full Forward along with Donaghy too. McFadden will be nominated, but hasn't done enough.
Walsh is probably a year young yet and might lose out to Meehan.

O'Mahony is probably in a CHB, with Tomas O'Se looking good on the wing, though Aaron Kernan will probably get a nomination I think he'll miss out on it.

Wods from Monaghan will get a nomination, and McQuad and Finaly would also have joined them if only for the games they were suspended for taking playing time away from them. I don't think freeman did enough this year to hold on to his.

I'll have to nominate one of the O'Rourkes just to show I'm not biased! :)

Funny for Tyrone it's been a real team effort to date with no one person shining through fully, everyone has chipped in a various times with big contributions, though Cavangh has been good.

If you look at the way they usually give them out NFL winners usually get one at least so Paddy Bradley (or Eoin who got 3 goals in 3 championship games) has a good chance. Provincial winners should get one or two nominations each minimum - meaning ONeill and Cussen, Clarke and Stevie, Joyce and Meehan, Ryan and Cullen?

After that it's open season with Kerry (should they win) to get a few too .... interesting times ahead!

ONeill

From the teams that have exited, I'd have McElroy, McGrath and the keeper from Fermanagh, Clarke and McGrane from Armagh and Dan Gordan as nominees. From a Tyrone POV, Sean Cavanagh and Enda McGinley.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

orangeman

Quote from: JMohan on August 11, 2008, 05:50:06 PM

Ryan is in on pencil for now. McGrath will be up against hard competition with O'Neill form Cork a driving force so far, even though Dara O'Se might be coming good once more at the right time. Has McGrane earned one? Lennon may get nominated but probably isn't in the reckoning.

Fracnie did well this year and perhaps exclduing the gaol would be probably leading the pack so far? An interesting suggestion would be McCusker for fullback. In the first League game 1 Donaghy was held ineffective, he tied him up in the League final, Vinne Corey was held scoreless in Clones, McFadden was snuffed out when he went back on him in both Donegal games and McBarron was taken off too.

Cussen is looking good at Full Forward along with Donaghy too. McFadden will be nominated, but hasn't done enough.

O'Mahony is probably in a CHB, with Tomas O'Se looking good on the wing, though Aaron Kernan will probably get a nomination I think he'll miss out on it.

Wods from Monaghan will get a nomination, and McQuad and Finaly would also have joined them if only for the games they were suspended for taking playing time away from them. I don't think freeman did enough this year to hold on to his.

Funny for Tyrone it's been a real team effort to date with no one person shining through fully, everyone has chipped in a various times with big contributions, though Cavangh has been good.

If you look at the way they usually give them out NFL winners usually get one at least so Paddy Bradley (or Eoin who got 3 goals in 3 championship games) has a good chance. Provincial winners should get one or two nominations each minimum - meaning ONeill and Cussen, Clarke and Stevie, Joyce and Meehan, Ryan and Cullen?

After that it's open season with Kerry (should they win) to get a few too .... interesting times ahead!

I think O'Se is a cert -

Mc Cusker - interesting and I know where you're coming from but can't see it myself.

ross matt

Francie for an allstar me hole!

Finian Hanly was poor v Ross & Leitrim but had an excellent connacht final & marked Donaghy out of the match on saturday. The best full back so far.
Joyce had a brilliant connacht championship & whilst he was forced to go deep on saturday he still put in some great passes to meehan and scored a fine point.
O'mahony and Tomas O'Se look good at the moment.....winning breaks and driving forward.
Shane Ryan definite. Totally under rated and agree with Mid Louth that his move out of the middle and substitution handed the semi to mayo 2 years ago
Meehan gave one of the best individual displays ever in croker yesterday but up to that is season has been only ok. Dont think he should get allstar for one match
Ronan Clarke another definite for me. Great ball winning and point taking all season.
Mattie Forde should be there too. Magnificient footballer who has performed all year especially when the chips are down.
Redmond Barry chipping in with some great scores and strong running would also be a contendor.
Brogan also should be one. Cluxton too.
Dara o'shea was back to himself on saturday but his performance v Monaghan was over rated and he was very poor before that so he has more to do to win one.
Dermot early has been very impressive in the last 2 matches for Kildare.
Tommy walsh has scored 5 points in the last 2 championship matches and hasnt finished either. I think he's improving all the time and will go on to win one.
Anthony Lynch (excellent for years) should win one.

Alot depends on the remaining matches though.

JMohan

Quote from: orangeman on August 11, 2008, 06:22:16 PM
Quote from: JMohan on August 11, 2008, 05:50:06 PM

I think O'Se is a cert -

Mc Cusker - interesting and I know where you're coming from but can't see it myself.

I think O'Se is good, but then there is not great competition for corner back.

You'll probably be right about McCusker
One thing is for sure anyway the Full back All Star won't be going to Kerry

Jinxy

Redmond Barry is Wexfords most consistent player. Very intelligent footballer. Reminds me a bit of Trevor Giles.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

DUBSFORSAM1

JMohan - You have Keane/Henry as two top contendors for corner back roles as O'Se has already had a lot of problems already this season...

JMohan

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 11, 2008, 07:41:26 PM
JMohan - You have Keane/Henry as two top contendors for corner back roles as O'Se has already had a lot of problems already this season...
Peronsally I think O'Se has been troubled on a few occasions (e.g. Michael Meehan).
I think Keane is very good (and has been for a few years too) but I don't see hime getting one simply because of the fact Westmeath are out a little earlier than a few other teams, Henry can make it his in the next few games.

Dinny Breen

QuoteAny of the Kildare lads in with a shout ?

We're not flavour of the month in the media so definitely not, Earley and Doyle (The Top Scorer in Ireland) should get nominations though.
#newbridgeornowhere

erne bhoy

Marty Mcgrath must be deserving of a nomination at least after completely cleaning monaghan, derry and armagh out, none of whom are any slouches!

On a co mpletely unrelated matter does anyone else think that tyrone have seriously beefed up this year or is it just the new jerseys. Dooher, mcginley, cavanagh and gormely look to have done some serious gym time.

Jinxy

Quote from: erne bhoy on August 11, 2008, 07:59:45 PM
Marty Mcgrath must be deserving of a nomination at least after completely cleaning monaghan, derry and armagh out, none of whom are any slouches!

On a co mpletely unrelated matter does anyone else think that tyrone have seriously beefed up this year or is it just the new jerseys. Dooher, mcginley, cavanagh and gormely look to have done some serious gym time.

The jersies are definitely tighter but Tommy McGuigan is definitely no stranger to a gym.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: orangeman on August 11, 2008, 03:24:37 PM
Is Marc O'Se out of the running at this stage ???? Last years player of the year !

Finnian Moriarty ?

f**k he must have improved from when I last seen him!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?