If you were giving out All Stars at this stage, who would be shoo ins ?

Started by orangeman, August 11, 2008, 02:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yes I Would

Players who could justifiably feel hard done by come selection time.

Eoin Lennon, Michael Meehan, Dermot Early, Ryan Mc Cluskey,Keane from Westmeath, Redmond Barry,Enda Mc Ginley

GalwayBayBoy

Donaghy had an assist for the Kerry goal alright but there was very little Hanley could have done about that. The problem was that the goalscorer ran in behind the corner-back and he wasn't tracked at all so all it took was a simple handpass from Donaghy to put him clear in on goal.

In interests of objectivity Hanley had a tough time of it from Declan Maxwell in the Leitrim game but in the two biggest games he played he was excellent.

I expect though that one of the full-backs from the semi-finalists may put in a decent performance or two that may get them the nod yet.

never kickt a ball

Young Walsh from Kerry must be one of the front runners for Young Player of the Year. Anyone due a "must have" one like Bradley last year?

tyrone86

Quote from: never kickt a ball on August 11, 2008, 11:30:38 PM
Young Walsh from Kerry must be one of the front runners for Young Player of the Year. Anyone due a "must have" one like Bradley last year?

Walsh and Alan Smith would be the main contenders to date, maybe PJ Quinn if Tyrone get past the Dubs. Frankly though, if Walsh doesn't get it I'll be very surprised.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Couldn't see any Armagh man in with a chance apart from Clarke. Would be amazed if Francie was even close.

Clarke has a decent shout, but no more so than Johnny Doyle. Donaghy or Forde has the chance to do a bit more in the games to come and Meehan may well come close so you've 5 possibilities for 3 spots and someone from Cork or Dublin could challenge with a couple of big performances.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

never kickt a ball

Quote from: ONeill on August 11, 2008, 11:36:13 PM
Canavan shouldn't be ruled out.

McGuigan is "owed one" from last time. A big game against the Dubs..........who knows?

ONeill

Clarke has scored 1-11 as an out-and-out FF for Armagh. Sean Cavanagh has scored 1-12 as a makeshift FF with some time on the wing and in midfield. I think sometimes the standards you've set in previous years dwarfs what you're currently doing.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rav67

Johnny Doyle definitely hasn't done enough for an all-star and there's too much competition for midfield so Earley won't get one, if Kildare are to get one it will be McLoughlin at corner-back.  From the other 2 beaten quarter-finalists, only Clarke is a shoe-in with possibilities for Hanley, Sice, PJ and Meehan.

I can't see Keane (although he is fantastic), or anyone else who's county failed to make the last 8, getting one.  Fermanagh of course have had a lot of media attention so McGrath is a shout for them but there's strong competition there, possibly Ronan Gallagher in goals as well.  In the pre-qualifier days the National League Champions could often get one (Tohill's all-stars in 95 and 2000 are testament to this) but with more Championship games to look at performances from this doesn't happy now, there's no chance Derry will get any although we might get a nomination or two.

From those still in the competition it will of course hinge on the remaining games and one outstanding performance can catapult anyone into contention as it has done for Meehan.  The front runners though at this stage would be McGinley, Cavanagh, Cluxton, Henry, Ryan, A Brogan, Lynch, P O'Neill, Cussen, Barry, Forde, O'Mahoney(the biggest cert of all), T O'Se, D O'Se, Donaghy and Walsh.  And then Cooper and Declan O'Sullivan will more than likely be awesome in the next 1 or 2 games and make themselves shoe-ins!

DUBSFORSAM1

John Doyle - Top scorer in the championship with 2-26 and with only Forde/Sheehan/Brogan possibly able to beat him to the mantle of top scorer and thats not enough with guys like Clarke with 1-11 being said to be great chances???

Keane close due to both league and championship performances....

Rav67

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 12, 2008, 01:11:27 AM
John Doyle - Top scorer in the championship with 2-26 and with only Forde/Sheehan/Brogan possibly able to beat him to the mantle of top scorer and thats not enough with guys like Clarke with 1-11 being said to be great chances???

Keane close due to both league and championship performances....

Clarke's probably scored more from play, although Doyle's free taking is accurate and he deserves credit for this.  I think he's a class player and has been for a long time but I was disappointed with him against Cork, and for a defeated quarter-finalist to win an all-star he needed a big performance in the QF like McCloy and Bradley last year.

RedandGreenSniper

Aidan O'Mahony on his way to Player of the Year at the minute.

I thought Meehan was awesome the last day but he was only average against Roscommon and Leitrim and poor enough against Leitrim. I don't think his performance on Saturday is enough to get an All-Star in the most competitive line of the fifteen. In fact I'd say Padraig Joyce is closer to getting an All-Star than him (but I don't think he'll get one either)

At the minute this would be my All-Star team

Ronan Gallagher (Fermanagh)

Anthony Lynch (Cork)
Finian Hanley (Galway)
Aindriu McLochlainn (Kildare)

Tomas O Se (Kerry)
Aidan O'Mahony (Kerry)
Adrian Morrisey (Wexford)

Martin McGrath (Fermanagh)
Shane Ryan (Dublin)

Redmond Barry (Wexford)
Kieran Donaghy (Kerry)
Sean Cavanagh (Tyrone)

Alan Brogan (Dublin)
Ronan Clarke (Armagh)
Matty Forde (Wexford)

However of those I would say the only definites at the minute are Aidan O'Mahony, Shane Ryan, Alan Brogan and Matty Forde. Everyone else is in a position where someone else left in the competition might overtake them. There'd be a few Kerry, Dublin and Cork players not far off it who could certainly come into the reckoning. I've only one Corkman but Pearse O'Neill will go close and perhaps John Hayes or Donncha O'Connor. Their problem though, from an All-Star point of view, is they've a lot of very good players but few stand out lads.
Dan Gordon is gonna be very unlucky and so too P Joyce, Enda McGinley and Johnny Doyle
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

orangeman

How many games has Walsh played for Kerry to suddently be in line for player of the year ???

blanketattack

Quote from: orangeman on August 12, 2008, 09:50:16 AM
How many games has Walsh played for Kerry to suddently be in line for player of the year ???

He's already played 2, so will have played 4 if Kerry get to the final, more than enough to qualify for Young player of the year.

Kieran Donaghy got Player Of The Year in '06 based on his 4 performances from the qualifiers onwards.

belleaqua

QuoteI thought Meehan was awesome the last day but he was only average against Roscommon and Leitrim and poor enough against Leitrim. I don't think his performance on Saturday is enough to get an All-Star in the most competitive line of the fifteen.

Only average by Saturday's performance perhaps but he kicked some great scores against Leitrim. Roscommon was his quitest game to date while I thought he had a very good Connaught final considering the job Higgins usually does on him. I still think he will be squeezed out however after the semi-finals.