Georgia/Russia

Started by ONeill, August 09, 2008, 09:36:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

full back

Quote from: Rav67 on August 11, 2008, 02:50:14 PM
What an idiot the Georgian president is, he would have been aware how a Putin-led Russia would react.  Has the US government made any statement on the conflict yet?

Bush said

"I'm deeply concerned about the situation in Georgia," Bush said in a statement to reporters while attending the Olympic Games in Beijing. "The attacks are occurring in regions of Georgia far from the zone of conflict in South Ossetia. They mark a dangerous escalation in the crisis.

"The violence is endangering regional peace, civilian lives have been lost and others are endangered. We have urged an immediate halt to the violence and a stand-down by all troops. We call for an end to the Russian bombings, and a return by the parties to the status quo of Aug. 6."

If there wasnt a pipeline running through Georgia would he give a fcuk?

Zapatista

It's not the pipe line he is after as much as the position of Georgia in relation to Russia and China. It's prime land to have on the side of the USA. You would think he would be happy with Afganistan- how's that working out anyway?

scud

Surely 'prime land' is only prime land due to the pipeline and its link to the caspian?

The same argument about not caring but for energy supply routes applies equally to Russia, as it showed to devastating effect in the Chechen wars.... It too wants to exert its influence in the region. Bush though has lost all moral authority to act. The Russians will exploit this and veto any UN resolution at odds with their interests in the current situation

Rufus T Firefly

Check out the photos of the war zone on the BBC - the second photo with the gent on the tricycle - is that a Tyrone away jersey with WJ Dolan on the front?   :o

The simple explanation might be that I'm blind of course!  ::)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7559270.stm

ONeill

Flip, I didn't realise that was where that photo came from. They must really worship Peter out there.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Carmen Stateside

:D :D  :o
I thought it was a joke picture!

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on August 13, 2008, 10:55:56 PM
:D :D  :o
I thought it was a joke picture!

But that is a WJ Dolan / Tyrone away top, right?

ONeill

Definitely. Great PR for Willie Joe
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Carmen Stateside

Tony Baloney

I've studied all the photos very carefully and from the harrowing scenes of deprivation, violence, looting and street crime, reinforced by the man in the tyrone jersey can only lead me to believe that the photo was taken in strabane.

tyssam5

Quote from: Loughers on August 11, 2008, 10:51:33 AM
So a majority of a people in a province of a soverign state want to be allied to it's much bigger and more powerful neighbour.  Interesting!!

Yeah that is interesting. Now the question is were the Russian's always there or were they 'planted' during the Soviet/Tsarist era of the last 200 years?

Some of the Baltic countries have huge Russian minorities, that are pretty well discriminated against. Though they mostly arrived during th Soviet era, the similarities are there.

Maiden1

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on August 13, 2008, 10:51:52 PM
Check out the photos of the war zone on the BBC - the second photo with the gent on the tricycle - is that a Tyrone away jersey with WJ Dolan on the front?   :o

The simple explanation might be that I'm blind of course!  ::)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7559270.stm

Using the blanket defense to keep out the Russians?
There are no proofs, only opinions.

magickingdom

i love to know where all the anti-war protesters have gone, i know patrica mckenna is busy in failte towers but what about the rest of them? maybe its the non stop rain or they cant cant find the russian embassy or maybe its just american wars they have problems with. their silence says it all...

Yes I Would

Saw that plank Bush on earlier. He really hasnt a f**king clue where Georgia is, never minds whats going on.

My God, have they not enough f**king strife in the world without going and starting another feckin conflict. Really should have feck all to do with them

J70

Quote from: Yes I Would on August 14, 2008, 10:51:18 PM
Saw that plank Bush on earlier. He really hasnt a f**king clue where Georgia is, never minds whats going on.

My God, have they not enough f**king strife in the world without going and starting another feckin conflict. Really should have feck all to do with them

So this is all America's fault? ??? ::)

Despite the Georgian president's pleas, the US has done  sweet FA so far to support him except call for a ceasefire and fly in two planes full of aid. There are lots of people in the states calling for a much, much tougher response from the Bush administration, basically saying that Putin has called his bluff.