Viva espana - new FIFA rankings

Started by Our Nail Loney, August 06, 2008, 07:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

There is no getting away from the simple fact that the 0-0 draw at Wembley in 1985 which qualified the North of Ireland for the 1986 World Cup Finals was a contrived result. This is a widely accepted and acknowledged fact, has England required to win they would have done.

The beauty of it was that without it, we wouldn't have had the pleasure of Butregano, Josimar etc whipping their asses in Mexico the following summer ;D

PS It would be constructive if yyou refrained from using sectarian phrases in your post

Evil Genius

Quote from: Main Street on August 14, 2008, 03:28:15 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on August 14, 2008, 11:09:45 AM
Quote from: Main Street on August 14, 2008, 10:56:23 AM
I understand Dual Nationality
Go on, then:
Is Tony Cascarino "Irish and British" or "Irish and English"?
And is Ray Houghton "Irish and British" or "Irish and Scottish"?
For the intellectually slow/impaired, I will spell it out again.

Obviously Tony and Cas are British nationals as they are that by birth.
They have British and Irish nationality

Cas used "we" when he talks about England, I presume he sees himself as English.
I have never heard him call himself British maybe he has maybe he hasn't.

Houghton uses we in reference to Scotland, I know he regards himself as Scottish and Irish
Is that an earth shattering revelation?
John Hartson is called a Welshman, Ryan Giggs is called a Welshman,
Do I need to go on?
If anybody wants to be called Northern Irish, that is their privilege.
Right, so Houghton is "Scottish" and Hartson is "Welsh", but Cascarino is "British", not "English".

Hmmm, so from these three constituent parts of the UK, Scotland is a Nation, Wales is a Nation but England isn't. Fine, I'm not sure how that works, but no matter, since I am neither English, Scottish or Weslh

Problem is, I'm from Northern Ireland. Is Northern Irishness a Nationality, like that of our Celtic cousins, or is it not, like the Englishness of our Bastard Saxon Oppressors?  

I need your help, Main Street, for as you say, you understand Nationality...

Quote from: Main Street on August 14, 2008, 03:28:15 PM
BTW, have you removed this scurrilous accusation against GAA members from the OWC board that you wrote with your poison pen?

"Consequently whilst there are no doubt many GAA heads in places like Pomeroy who happily endorse ruthless would-be murderers, equally there will be many more elsewhere who are appalled by such events."

So which part of the above post - even taken out of context - should I remove?
That there are people in Pomeroy who were happy to endorse Seamus Woods? After all, they were holding a commemoration for him in, ahem, Pomeroy.
Or that none of those taking part were GAA fans? Strange, but the Parade ("with childrens' activities and an entertainment slide show") started off from Pomeroy Plunkets GAA Club.
Or that Woods wasn't "ruthless"? I'd say firing off Mortars in a small town was a pretty unambiguous way of making your point. After all, innocent people could get killed. Such as the guy operating it.
No? Not those?
Oh, I get it, it must be the definition of "murder" I used which was wrong. I mean to say, it was only RUC men the IRA were trying to kill. It's not as if they were good old community Bobbys, like those nice young chaps in the PSNI, who seem to spend half their time playing Gaelic Games with their new best chums in Sinn Fein...

Anyhow, as I said elsewhere, when I requoted my entire post in context for all to see (not just heavily edited extracts, carefully selected to give a misleading impression), I stand by every word of what I wrote.

If you don't like it, then fine. If you want to discuss it further, that's equally fine. But may I suggest you open up a separate thread for it, since this one is dealing with soccer. You know, the other football game, with FIFA Rankings etc, as played by the likes of "Wee Jock" Houghton, "Dai the Pie" Hartson and Tony "Da Brit" Cascarino... ::)

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Main Street

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 14, 2008, 04:05:47 PM
I need your help.
You need help all right.
You write some twisted and perverted posts.

Evil Genius

Quote from: T Fearon on August 14, 2008, 03:51:56 PM
There is no getting away from the simple fact that the 0-0 draw at Wembley in 1985 which qualified the North of Ireland for the 1986 World Cup Finals was a contrived result. This is a widely accepted and acknowledged fact, has England required to win they would have done.

The beauty of it was that without it, we wouldn't have had the pleasure of Butregano, Josimar etc whipping their asses in Mexico the following summer ;D

"A widely accepted and acknowledged fact" - the length and breadth of Poyntzpass...

"Had England required to win they would have done". Of course. They didn't need a win, because they'd already got three points in Belfast...

"The beauty of it was", Romania getting cuffed home and away by Northern Ireland, which would almost make you think it wasn't fixed...

Anyhow, how was your summer in 1986? Spend it with your fellow ROI fans in Bundoran did you? Or Donegal? Kerry maybe? Ah well, whichever it was, I'm sure it was a lot more fun than slumming it in Mexico, alongside all those fit young Brazilian girls, as they tanned themselves each day on the beaches of Cancun and Playa Del Carmen, before going to a match in the evening...

PS It would be constructive if yyou refrained from using sectarian phrases in your post
Can't help it. Sure amn't I only a Hun?  :o
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

his holiness nb

Theres me saying people shouldnt put any pass of the fifa rankings as they arent important. Next time I peep in its up to seven pages and going strong  :o
Ask me holy bollix

nifan

QuoteThis is a widely accepted and acknowledged fact, has England required to win they would have done.

Its not. Its widely spread by eejits like you. That doesnt make it a fact.

Main Street

Ooops there Nifan that's a very aggressive manner of speech there.

That's personal abuse.

Solomon Kane

Any proof (as opposed to opinions) then?

nifan

It isnt aggressive. I did call him an eejit, for which ill take a warning if deemed necessary.

Ive been called worse than an eejit here lately without a word.

Niall Quinn

Quote from: Solomon Kane on August 14, 2008, 05:18:08 PM

Any proof (as opposed to opinions) then?

If proof did exist, do you think they'd replay the Tournament? I'd like to see Mexico 86 22 years on.
Maradona might have lost some of his mobility, so I'm not sure Argentina would be the threat they were. My money would be on France. Peter Shilton would be some age at this stage.
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

Main Street

I could well believe that Hoddle practiced the routine with Jennings  ;D

Nobody actually cares about that but I see that it is always good for a wind up

Already 3 OWCers demanding a reply from Tony.

nifan

Main Street

Quote from: nifan on August 14, 2008, 05:34:55 PM
What 3 are demanding a reply?
Sorry Nifan
to pedantically spell out the full and proper meaning of my message to those posters who may have been grossly misrepresented

One OWC took the time to reply but did not ask a serious question
One OWC  asked for a reply
One OWC got so upset that he just blurted out something

nifan

Thank you

I still dont understand why replying to a post of fearons is newsworthy

Evil Genius

Quote from: Main Street on August 14, 2008, 05:40:05 PM
Quote from: nifan on August 14, 2008, 05:34:55 PM
What 3 are demanding a reply?
Sorry Nifan
to pedantically spell out the full and proper meaning of my message to those posters who may have been grossly misrepresented

One OWC took the time to reply but did not ask a serious question
One OWC  asked for a reply
One OWC got so upset that he just blurted out something

Am I one of "The OWC Three"? Maybe the one who sought a reply? If so, here's my query again, since you somehow seem to have overlooked it. Again. For the umpteenth time.

Right, so Houghton is "Scottish" and Hartson is "Welsh", but Cascarino is "British", not "English".

Hmmm, so from these three constituent parts of the UK, Scotland is a Nation, Wales is a Nation but England isn't. Fine, I'm not sure how that works, but no matter, since I am neither English, Scottish or Weslh

Problem is, I'm from Northern Ireland. Is Northern Irishness a Nationality, like that of our Celtic cousins, or is it not, like the Englishness of our b**tard Saxon Oppressors? 

(To make it easier, I've highlighted the relevant bit in bold)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"