The gap between Munster and Leinster hurling

Started by The Wedger, July 28, 2008, 08:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EddieMerx

The gap is still pretty evident is it ??? ??? ??? If the best Munster can offer is Cork and Waterford both getting their pants pulled down and sodomized by Kilkenny then frankly I think this Munster Leinster debate is pointless.......... fact is everybody else is at the same level with Kilkenny in a position that they could beat the pick of the rest.

orangeman

The thread should read - the gap betweeen Kilkeeny and the rest of the teams in Ireland -
personally I think Cork are 2nd - anyone think that Clare are up and coming ??

EddieMerx

Nope, Clare are on the decline! their better players are quiet old now

AZOffaly

I think Clare might be in a bit of trouble actually. I think their minors won their first minor MATCH in about 5 years this year. Lads like Frank Lohan, Gerry Quinn, Colin Lynch, Tony Griffin, Niall Gilligan etc are getting on a bit, and it's hard to see who's going to replace them there. Jonathan Clancy and Flaherty, the corner forward, might be useful enough, but I think if Lynch and Gilligan go, or Frank Lohan, Clare will be in real trouble.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 10, 2008, 11:40:38 AM
I think Clare might be in a bit of trouble actually. I think their minors won their first minor MATCH in about 5 years this year. Lads like Frank Lohan, Gerry Quinn, Colin Lynch, Tony Griffin, Niall Gilligan etc are getting on a bit, and it's hard to see who's going to replace them there. Jonathan Clancy and Flaherty, the corner forward, might be useful enough, but I think if Lynch and Gilligan go, or Frank Lohan, Clare will be in real trouble.

You're probably right there but I though they played well against Cork in Thurles and should have beaten them.

Bord na Mona man

Interestingly, next year's Division 1 will have 4 Leinster teams in it (Kilkenny, Wexford, Dublin, Offaly) and Galway from the Leinster Championship. There will only be 3 Munster teams in it. 

Munster hurling is clearly in crisis, is a disgrace, is on its knees, needs outside coaches from Leinster, needs something drastic!  ;D

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on May 10, 2010, 07:39:38 PM
Interestingly, next year's Division 1 will have 4 Leinster teams in it (Kilkenny, Wexford, Dublin, Offaly) and Galway from the Leinster Championship. There will only be 3 Munster teams in it. 

Munster hurling is clearly in crisis, is a disgrace, is on its knees, needs outside coaches from Leinster, needs something drastic!  ;D

this is a job for Diarmaid Healy

EddieMerx

Munster hurling will only improve when they get pay for play

Bord na Mona man

Something must be done!
Maybe set up a facebook group for starters.

ormondeboy3

Tipp bet Dublin by 25 points on Monday night, both teams nearly full strength. That settles it then?

bottlethrower7

Quote from: ormondeboy3 on May 12, 2010, 01:55:07 PM
Tipp bet Dublin by 25 points on Monday night, both teams nearly full strength. That settles it then?

Kilkenny bet waterford by 11 points on sunday.

munster is definitely better so.

deiseach

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on May 12, 2010, 02:18:28 PM
Kilkenny bet waterford by 11 points on sunday.

munster is definitely better so.

Remember: home advantage. With the ash cloud, the journey overland to Mooncoin was a killer

awfulynice

Hard to believe that next seasons division 1 will hold 5 leinster teams with 3 from munster....I really think Galway & Antrim being allowed into Leinster has really tipped the balance of this debate. Galway & Kilkenny are always going to be contenders...Offaly, Wexford & Dublin seem to be back competing if not at the top table...then the stools of the top table!!

In Munster there are contrasting fortunes, Tipp certainly are contenders that are here to stay, however, Limerick & Clare will be stuck in division 2 next year and look to be quite a bit off the pace, whilst Cork & Waterford have some aging stalwaths that will be big boots to fill when they do hang up the boots in the next year or two. Cork possibly could have been helped to this end during the strike which forced them to field their third strengh squad.

I think without doubt, in the coming 4-5 years, its the leinster championship that will prove the most competitive, the Introduction of Galway and the increasing competitiveness of Dublin has noted with concern in Offaly and Wexford, long the two counties fighting over the number two slot, they can no longer take their chances on the draw and expect a leinster final appearence every two to three years.

seafoid

Offaly and Wexford are going straight down again.  Offaly need Jose Mourinho and Wexford need a good strawberry season.