The gap between Munster and Leinster hurling

Started by The Wedger, July 28, 2008, 08:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

If Aidan Kearney comes back from the appendix deiseach, where will he play I wonder? Eoin Murphy is solid, and David Prendergast hasn't done too much wrong, although I think Eoin Kelly would give Prendergast fits. Will they move Prendergast in full back, and allow Ken McGrath move out to 6, with Tony Brown moving to the wing, or will they put Kearney into wing back instead of Sullivan or the Bull?

deiseach

I would put Kearney on the wing. I thought Jack Kennedy was hard done by to be dropped and Shane O'Sullivan has done well, but it would be folly to take to the field without a player of Kearney's quality. I'd hold my nose and plunge into the Tipp match with the same back line. I know Ken McGrath isn't really a full back and we've missed him out the field but we've tried everyone else in that position since Sean Cullinane retired and it would be quite a volte-face to try something different after three games when something else should have been tried if it was obviously not working. Sink or swim time.

AZOffaly

I think you're right. At this stage it's gone beyond the point of no return I think, because to move Ken back out the field would require at least 4 switches I'd say. (Prendergast in full back, Kearney in the Corner, Ken to Centre Back, Browne to the wing, Sullivan or Bull off).

That would be a major reshuffle before a semi final.

I think it's a mistake to put Ken McGrath in there, but sure the proof of the pudding will be in the eating now.

Galforever

QuoteWay off? Really? Is Offaly beating limerick and losing by 6 points (4 in the last 5 minutes) and Wexford missing a penalty in the last couple of minutes before losing by a point 'Way off'?

If that's the case, what are Galway?

I think the gap has been narrowed significantly. I'm not claiming a miracle has happened since May, but it's not as bad as you seem to think.

I see your point but Limerick were a very poor team this year compared to last year. Waterford too are not flowing like they did in the last few years (They may be able to change it around yet). However, to really see that the gap has narrowwed, I would want to see Wexford or Offaly genuinely challenge for the all-ireland, neither of which did this year.
Its exactly the same with Galway. We all have thoughts of challenging for an all-ireland at the start of the year down here but we havent in the last few years. In fact, We are way off Tipp (as proved earlier in the year) & Cork (as proved last week).

AZOffaly

Ok. Maybe your definition of 'Way Off' and my definition of Way Off is different. I would say Offaly are 'way off' challenging for an All Ireland, but we are not 'way off' competing with, and beating a lot of the other teams, including a good few of Munster's. Not there yet, but not 'Way off'. Same for Wexford, Dublin and Offaly. Galway should be a bit further along, but in all honesty don't seem to be.

turk

Quote from: deiseach on July 28, 2008, 02:15:29 PM
That might be it - we've had a bellyful of the Langers over the last few years - but the animosity towards Clare is still quite palpable among many Waterford fans (I'm happy to report that I'm well over it now) so I don't think that's it either.

Good man deiseach! I hope you are over it and this trauma isn't triggered again for you!

deiseach

Quote from: turk on July 28, 2008, 04:29:06 PM
Quote from: deiseach on July 28, 2008, 02:15:29 PM
That might be it - we've had a bellyful of the Langers over the last few years - but the animosity towards Clare is still quite palpable among many Waterford fans (I'm happy to report that I'm well over it now) so I don't think that's it either.

Good man deiseach! I hope you are over it and this trauma isn't triggered again for you!

Ten years is a long time to be bitter. You gotta go there to come back again though

EddieMerx

Quote from: deiseach on July 28, 2008, 02:58:42 PM
Quote from: EddieMerx on July 28, 2008, 02:46:47 PM
Wtaerford I still think unless they unearth some fine 23 and 24 year olds are screwed until these teenagers become men.

Last year Stephen Molumphy and Aidan Kearney - I'll set the absence of the latter for the whole year against any of the temps who came on for Wexford yesterday - emerged into the senior ranks. Unless you saw them coming, in which case you would have some insight into underage hurling in Waterford, then you're not in a position to say that Waterford have nothing coming through.

Point taken, I have limited knowledge of Waterford underage and perhaps I have been led by the pundits and their view that there is a lack of quality coming through in Waterford. Honestly I hope that Waterford do have talent coming through

Zulu

Quote from: EddieMerx on July 28, 2008, 05:16:04 PM
Quote from: deiseach on July 28, 2008, 02:58:42 PM
Quote from: EddieMerx on July 28, 2008, 02:46:47 PM
Wtaerford I still think unless they unearth some fine 23 and 24 year olds are screwed until these teenagers become men.

Last year Stephen Molumphy and Aidan Kearney - I'll set the absence of the latter for the whole year against any of the temps who came on for Wexford yesterday - emerged into the senior ranks. Unless you saw them coming, in which case you would have some insight into underage hurling in Waterford, then you're not in a position to say that Waterford have nothing coming through.

There are plenty of young hurlers in Waterford and they will be a force for many years to come of that, have no doubt, likewise Cork will have no problem replacing the likes of the 'rock' and Sean og. I don't see Leinster getting a whole lot more competitive any time soon I'm afraid.

Point taken, I have limited knowledge of Waterford underage and perhaps I have been led by the pundits and their view that there is a lack of quality coming through in Waterford. Honestly I hope that Waterford do have talent coming through

Zulu

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 28, 2008, 03:43:31 PM
I think you're right. At this stage it's gone beyond the point of no return I think, because to move Ken back out the field would require at least 4 switches I'd say. (Prendergast in full back, Kearney in the Corner, Ken to Centre Back, Browne to the wing, Sullivan or Bull off).

That would be a major reshuffle before a semi final.

I think it's a mistake to put Ken McGrath in there, but sure the proof of the pudding will be in the eating now.

Waterford won't win the AI with Ken at full back, they may not anyway but to have any chance they must bring Ken back out.

INDIANA

i've seen waterford minors 3 times in the last 4 yeas against Dublin in challenge matches, if they have all this talent , they are keeping it quiet because i haven't seen it.They may not go back to the days of the hammerings by Tipp , but they'll fall back for  a while anyway. it'll take 3-4 years to rebuild it.
Clare will struggle to replace lynch and gilligan, without gilligan up front how will they score heavy? Griffin isn't a patch on what he was.they'll always be competitive but can anyone see them winning silverware? I can't. But at last they have a good u21 team this year, its taken so god damn long.
I think Cork's demise is overstated a bit. They have replacements, but they will fall back a bit when sean og and deane etc go. you can't replace once in a lifetime players with a few young lads. The Cork youngsters have very good , pat horgan,naughton,shane o neill,cronin excellent hurlers, but they'll have a hard line to follow and i don't think their minors ar as good as Tipp's. Again i've seen a lot of both counties at underage level, and Tipp's youngsters are the best in the country by a mile. I think Tipp will rule Munster for a few years. Forget about Limerick they wouldn't beat Dublin never mind wexford and offaly.
The likes of Wexford aren't that far behind. With Rossiter and Lambert , wexford would have won its as simple as that. if there was any justice they'd have won because they were the better team in my view. Wexford are as good as clare and waterford in my view, offaly as wella re not far behind. cork and tipp are ahead of those. But the cats are a mile ahead.
Talking to a limerick man recently who saw the kilkenny A vs B match, said it was better than a lot of all-ireland finals. Unfortunately thats the standard in Leinster, its like playing the all blacks for the leinster championship. and if anyone thinks the cats wouldn't win munster as well they are dreaming.

The Wedger

All the evidence suggests that it isn't a problem with just the Leinster championship.
Kilkenny would destroy everyone in Munster on the evidence of today and every other match they play.
Today proved this beyond all doubts!
There can't be too many people who still believe in the magic of the Munster championship.

slow corner back

The closest anyone has got to the Cats this year is nine points ( Cork in the semi ). Did anyone get any closer last year or the year before?

Gnevin

Wexford got within 10, Limerick within 7 last year
Wexford got within 8,Galway within 5 ,Clare within 8 and Cork within 3 the year before .

So the gap appears to be widening
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Reillers

I don't know, I think the gap between Munster and Leinster is still there and still pretty evident.Wexford and Ofally did well, but lets put into context. Before any Leinster team play Kilkenny they have expected they've lost, and they go out there with the attitude of not winning but keeping the score down. It's a formality, they went into Leinster and gave it absolutley everything.
But Waterford, though they got to the final weren't grear, know where near as good as they were last season.
Cork were shite against Dublin, as simple as that, they were another machine all together against Galway and Clare.
And well, to be honest, Limerick were awful.

Now this isn't to take away from what's been a great season for them, but it really should be put into context, they went in to those games giving it absolutley everything, with nothing to loose and hoping they'll win, they don't have that attitude against Kilkenny. That and, the state the teams that they were playing were in, a great year for them put things should be put into context. Lets not get too caried away.