Down v Wexford

Started by interested, July 27, 2008, 08:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

interested

Lecale2

In the Onion Bag

Without Dan this is as far as we go.  Still, its great to be playing in August.

stew

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

orangeman

No contest - Down have rode their luck and fair play to them - the last 8 beckons.

whyarerefssobad

this is as good as we could have got but as said before big Dan will be a massive miss he is the one player that we did not want this to happen to its going to be a tight game if Gordan was playing i would say down but now i would say wexford would be favs     
always look on the bright side

full back

Is Gordon appealing the sending off?
The best draw Down could have got - maybe a replay of the Ulster semi final is on the cards ;)

Leo

How is  this guy Fegan making the panel - never mind the team?
Bad call on the side line after Gordon was sent off - that was clearly the time to pull Benny to midfield as it was obvious the extra man was going be deplyed by Laois to stop him up front. Exactly what happened.
Would have been a good time to push Hughes up there with Clarke and let Laois crowd the middle going after Benny  - as we were bound to lose this sector after Dan went off.
Ambrose showed he is not a leader in this sector and Lynch is not a county player - full stop. Would not get into the 30 for any of the other Ulster counties left in the cship. Without Gordon we have no chance.
Liked the look of Tuley when he came on.
Murtagh did enough to redeem himself.
For McGuigan, read as for Lynch (above).
Fierce tame altogether

PatDaly

and the best draw Armagh could get in the 1/4 final would be Down. Wexford already beat Down in the league earlier this year so I better not get ahead of myself thinking Down are a sure thing to reach their first ever 1/4 final. lol

Pangurban

Without Dan its hard to be other than pessimistic, but if we can somehow get enough ball to forwards we have a punchers chance

Down Gael

Leo, I would agree with most of whay you have said above, but I feel you are being a bit harsh on McGuigan, he has done ok over the last 2 games. I have been a fan of Jack Lynchs, but last night proved he is punching above his weight.
Dan is going to be a massive loss and I am sure he more than anyone else regrets what he did, but the team have shown a lot of spirit and determination since the Armagh defeat and they stood up to be counted last night. There are going to be some enforced changes for the next game. I would bring in Colgan in place of Dan and Dan McCartan in for Monk if he isnt fit enough for next week.
We are playing football in August for the first time in 14 years and that has to be a bonus. No one expected this after the Leitrim game, so we cant really complain. These lads have worked hard to get where they are today and they have put a bit of pride back in the county. Wexford destroyed us in the league, but that is history. Wexford have just been humiliated, embarassed in front of 82,000 in Croke Park. Will they be able to lift themselves for this game? We probably couldnt have got a better draw and this game is very winnable.

Gold

Good draw for Down, should win this handy enough
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

SCENTOFSAM

Sorry Down Gael, but at this level of football the likes of Dan McCartan, like Lynch are found terribly wanting. Only wish now that likes of Duffin had been called up earlier. No doubt Cole may be missed but he had been a bit off the pace before he went off any way.
I agree that to be looking forrward to playing Championship football in August would have been way beyond our wildest imaginations 2 months ago but Ross etc have given a buzz back to the county. A buzz that has been missing for a decade at least now.
Up to this point I would have been looking at Dan as our player of the year but Luke Howard is starting to give him a run for his money now

southdown

Where will this be played?? Luke Howard will hopefully do to Mattie Ford the same job he did on Stevie McDonnell.  Wexford will be no pushovers, though I still expect Down to win.

spiritof91and94

Quote from: SCENTOFSAM on July 28, 2008, 12:06:50 AM
Sorry Down Gael, but at this level of football the likes of Dan McCartan, like Lynch are found terribly wanting. Only wish now that likes of Duffin had been called up earlier. No doubt Cole may be missed but he had been a bit off the pace before he went off any way.
I agree that to be looking forrward to playing Championship football in August would have been way beyond our wildest imaginations 2 months ago but Ross etc have given a buzz back to the county. A buzz that has been missing for a decade at least now.
Up to this point I would have been looking at Dan as our player of the year but Luke Howard is starting to give him a run for his money now

Is Duffin in the panel? Only right that he is.