Down v Wexford

Started by interested, July 27, 2008, 08:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miss mess

exactly.  why is kevin mcguigan on this team?  total mystery.  glad to see kevin mckernan getting a chance too.  really felt for monk, him only back as well

miss mess

well theres no chance of me coming up against him apart from at the dentists. i think he's just way too slow in that back line.

thewobbler

Daniel is a rarity in football in that he has pretty much made the best out of what he was given on entering this world.

He is never going to have the size or athleticism to become an All Star, and there are players on the county circuit that he just wouldn't have the acceleration to stay with, to the point that it might be better option playing a useless defender with bags of pace. But he's a useful player to have around the squad as he is technically sound, will always give 100%, and unlike a lot of Down defenders, if asked to do nothing else but mark a man, he will stick by that duty for the full 70 minutes.

But although defenders can get away with being limited players as long they have application and intensity, midfielders can't, and if Big Dan isn't available for the next round, we would have to play someone in there who provides athleticism and drive, who can get the ball into Coulter and Clarke as early as possible...which with the greatest respect in the world, isn't Jackie Lynch.

Minus15

Down are one game from an All Ireland Quarter Final! Down have played 5 championship games this year with 3 wins, a draw and a defeat aginst Armagh which there is absolutely no shame in. Fair play to every man on that panel for the effort and work put in to reach this stage and to beat Wexford would put Down in the last 8. Surely this is not the time to be debating the value of different players to the team. They have already performed above expectations and lifted the spirits of the county. Lets talk about this weeks game and not about gripes with different players. The time for that is when Down's championship is over. Judge these players then!

southdown

Murphy should be the man for midfield if Dan cant play

imdagaffer

T O Hare

I would play murphy at midfield if Dan play play, Murph has came on leaps and bounds this year and is one of our leaders... l Peter caught two balls near the end and fair dues to him but if you look and the goal Kingston got and one of the Offally goals last week, you will see that he came out and missed the ball and a goal was a result!!! Dan Mc Carten would be a better man for full back!
if we have Dan Gordon i expect Down to win but if we dont, we are in trouble!!

Also does anyone know the exact number of championship goals that Benny has, i think its 16 but would like clarifiaction!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Leo

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on July 28, 2008, 01:19:12 PM
why do people let their unexplainable hate for Dan Mc Cartan and at times his family let that cloud their judgement as to his worth as a footballer and value in the Down Squad. Sorry miss mess but he certainly deserves his place on that panel way ahead of some of the other guys on it. If you have ever been marked by Dan or come up against him on the field of play you would surely realise that.

I have reservations about Daniel but to some extent he has answered these by his sheer spirit and I'd keep him in the frame but certainly not at No. 3. His foul-a-minute approach is edgy but we do need the combative quality he shows and (except aginst big quality players like Clarke) he can certainly man-mark. Any of our backs will struggle against a good tall full forward which is why we should have given priority to manufacturing a full back long before now. If this approach was good enough to win an All-Ireland for Tyrone (the late Cormac McAnallen) then it will do for us. Too late this season but it remains our biggest priority.

Cannot understand selections of McGuigan, Fegan or Lynch but they are now seen by management as an integral part of the squad so have to live with it.

Looking ahead, whatever way this season pans out there has been progress and there are players in the wings who should come in - Duffin, Walsh?, maybe Maginn and King from B'ford - what about Andrew Sloan od Attical - worth a look - the return of Niall McArdle at Castlewellan could be worth considering.
Feeling optimistic already.
Fierce tame altogether

Mickey Linden

Apologies lads, Down game croker 2pm sat!

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Quote from: Leo on July 27, 2008, 09:53:52 PM
How is  this guy Fegan making the panel - never mind the team?
Bad call on the side line after Gordon was sent off - that was clearly the time to pull Benny to midfield as it was obvious the extra man was going be deplyed by Laois to stop him up front. Exactly what happened.
Would have been a good time to push Hughes up there with Clarke and let Laois crowd the middle going after Benny  - as we were bound to lose this sector after Dan went off.
Ambrose showed he is not a leader in this sector and Lynch is not a county player - full stop. Would not get into the 30 for any of the other Ulster counties left in the cship. Without Gordon we have no chance.
Liked the look of Tuley when he came on.
Murtagh did enough to redeem himself.
For McGuigan, read as for Lynch (above).

Why all the doom and gloom, I take it you won't be going to the match this weekend then?

The present squad are giving us a decent not to metion highly entertaining run this year in the c'ship, lets just support them and see if we can make it to Croke park.  This team is still learning - they are now fighting for thier lives and playing some decent football into the bargain which lets face it is just what we expect of them.

T O Hare

Quote from: Mickey Linden on July 28, 2008, 01:45:12 PM
Apologies lads, down game croker 2pm sat!

where are you getting this info mickey
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

islandboy

down gael - you are saying that mc cartan and colgen should be brought in yet they did not even feature as one of the 5 subs brought on during the game on saturday? mc cartan is not good enough while colgen is no replacement for dan. just lets hope dan's appeal is successful. only option is rooney if he is fit enough.
if dan plays down will win

bridgegael

Quote from: Mickey Linden on July 28, 2008, 01:45:12 PM
Apologies lads, Down game croker 2pm sat!

who are we doubled up with then mickey?
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

spiritof91and94

GAA will confirm today at 3.30pm the fixtures for weekend.

Mickey Linden

I know one of the events co-ordinaters in croker Tommy.

12pm Ballymurphy Cup Final
2pm Down v Wexford
4pm mayo v Tyrone.