Down v Wexford

Started by interested, July 27, 2008, 08:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brick Tamlin

another great win to get taking into consideration we only just hung on.

the next day out will be the real test, wexford arent as bad a team as they showed against Dublin and will be looking to prove alot of doubters wrong after a dismal display, they didnt get to the leinster final by fluking it (although admittedly Leinster isnt what it used to be) and they have already beaten this Down team this year so as far as i can see they have little to fear from Down.

im hoping im wrong though and that we can continue a decent run and scrape through to the next round where hopefully someone sees us as the soft touch or easy draw and we get either Kerry or Armagh (love another crack at them).

as for current panel personnel its no secret that there are several passengers on that panel and even some on the team. How anyone can justify 4/6 any shamrocks players on that panel is either stevie wonder or completely crazy and again i refer to the Hugh Davey issue even though he isnt the only one. Big Jackie is a trier but has been found wanting several times at this level, end of story. Dan mc Cartan is one of the best club full backs in the county and definitely deserves his place on the panel/team, if we had a few more fellas with the comittment, drive and dogged determination that Dan has it would do no harm at all.

Mickey Linden

looks like Parnell park on Sunday lads!

SCENTOFSAM

No, I do not think he is but only expressing a wish that he had been called up early on particularly after U 21 campaign. would be difficult to expect anyone else to step up to the required intensity if they had not been training at this level all year.

SCENTOFSAM

Quote from: Mickey Linden on July 28, 2008, 09:44:04 AM
looks like Parnell park on Sunday lads!
where are you getting your information re venue

Mickey Linden

A friend working in Croker emailed me with the following,

"Tyrone v mayo with tommy Murphy cup game and one other is here on sat and the Monaghan v Kerry and Kildare v Fermanagh and Christy ring cup here on Sunday hasn't been fully confirmed yet but thats the way its looking."

Reckons Down match in Parnell park on Sunday!

Mickey Linden

Was hoping the Down match would have been the one other on Saturday in Croker but she reckons it wont be. But as she says it has yet to be confirmed!

Maximus Marillius

Fcuk i was praying ye Down men would draw Kerry. Just to end the long and well over due run ;) I'm syre the Kerry men were hoping that also..ye know what i mean

western exile

Yes, it is a good draw for Down.  But it is also a good draw for Wexford !
Wexford would not have wanted either of Tyrone or Monaghan, and probally  not another Leinster team (Kildare) after reaching the final themselves. So Wexford wanted Down, and they got them !!

Wexford played Down off the pairc in Wexford Town earlier this year and will have no fear of playing them again.  And the loss of Dan Gordan cannot be overstated. But perhaps Down have that little bit more confidence at the moment and might just shade it.

behind the wire

Quote from: Mickey Linden on July 28, 2008, 10:01:24 AM

"Tyrone v mayo with tommy Murphy cup game and one other is here on sat and the Monaghan v Kerry and Kildare v Fermanagh and Christy ring cup here on Sunday hasn't been fully confirmed yet but thats the way its looking."

she mentions one other game. sure the down wexford game is the only game not mentioned!! not unless they put on a nicky rackard match or a minor match or something.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

western exile

Quote from: Mickey Linden on July 28, 2008, 10:01:24 AM

Mickey, are Fermanagh not guaranteed a 13 day break before their round 3 game?

bridgegael

sure down had to play the saturday after their defeat to tyrone in 03.  they def play this weekend. 

as for the match,  would howard notbe a bit small for mattie forde??  if gordon is missing t will be very hard for Down to win the midfield battle,  its hard to know who will be in there.  more of the same of the first half in laois is required.  hopefully we get the match in croke park!!
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

mournerambler

Quote from: Down Gael on July 27, 2008, 10:24:29 PM
Leo, I would agree with most of whay you have said above, but I feel you are being a bit harsh on McGuigan, he has done ok over the last 2 games. I have been a fan of Jack Lynchs, but last night proved he is punching above his weight.
Dan is going to be a massive loss and I am sure he more than anyone else regrets what he did, but the team have shown a lot of spirit and determination since the Armagh defeat and they stood up to be counted last night. There are going to be some enforced changes for the next game. I would bring in Colgan in place of Dan and Dan McCartan in for Monk if he isnt fit enough for next week.
We are playing football in August for the first time in 14 years and that has to be a bonus. No one expected this after the Leitrim game, so we cant really complain. These lads have worked hard to get where they are today and they have put a bit of pride back in the county. Wexford destroyed us in the league, but that is history. Wexford have just been humiliated, embarassed in front of 82,000 in Croke Park. Will they be able to lift themselves for this game? We probably couldnt have got a better draw and this game is very winnable.
Not sure if you were @ this game Down Gael, but we completely outplayed them in the first half, then whatever happened in the dressing rooms @ HT changed the game in the second half.
I would be fairly optimistic of a Down win here.

miss mess

i wouldnt give dan mccartan the time of day on that team or jackie lynch (with those socks!)  Thought Peter Turley played very well and i think he deserves to start.  dan is a very big miss but as someone earlier posted there, could this be overturned by this weekend?

stiff breeze

Quote from: miss mess on July 28, 2008, 01:12:14 PM
i wouldnt give dan mccartan the time of day on that team or jackie lynch (with those socks!)  Thought Peter Turley played very well and i think he deserves to start.  dan is a very big miss but as someone earlier posted there, could this be overturned by this weekend?

or kevin mc guigan

Brick Tamlin

why do people let their unexplainable hate for Dan Mc Cartan and at times his family let that cloud their judgement as to his worth as a footballer and value in the Down Squad. Sorry miss mess but he certainly deserves his place on that panel way ahead of some of the other guys on it. If you have ever been marked by Dan or come up against him on the field of play you would surely realise that.