Free GNEVIN

Started by Tankie, July 22, 2008, 04:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quotethe difference is one got a life time ban when O'Neill just let himself off without even offering an appolagy!

tankie says this on another thread, surely Gnevin isn't banned for good?  That would be a bit much!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

magickingdom

missed the post by gnevin and if he was out of order and told to remove it he should have. but he can now come back imo.

tankie - did they give out gold stars in tallaght when you went to school for exclamation marks? can you post a sentence without an exclamation mark?!!!!!

pintsofguinness

Farrandeelin

Don't know what he did, don't understand the thing with GG, but free Gnevin, he's not a bad ol chap.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Dinny Breen

Gnevin had an opportunity to take down what was an offensive picture to posters and to GG himself, it was also potentially libelious. He refused to do so, the moderator was within his rights to ban Gnevin, the ban I believe was has harsh and should only be temporary and we need to be consistent in the application of these bans.

I actually think Gnevin is a valued poster if somewhat sensiitive as regards all things Dublin.

MCD brought legal action against Boards.ie for defamation, there is no such thing as free speech on the internet in Ireland or the UK even Google were sued for defamation last year, our defamation laws are very draconian so common sense has to be applied.
#newbridgeornowhere

The Real Laoislad

Despite what he was or wasn't suppose to have meant i think the ban is ridiculous to say the least and if you say he deserved to be reprimanded i will accept that despite the fact i think its wrong to ban someone on a presumption but the ban should be only temporary.
He isn't a bad lad,he goes off on rants where it really would take Einstein to work out what he meant but apart from that and the more than occasional spelling mistake  :P he is a decent poster who can have some very valid opinions on certain topics..
Right thats my piece said,thats my yearly quota for taking a Dubs side used up
You'll Never Walk Alone.

pintsofguinness

I can't believe the ban is permanent!

That's not in the rules. 

Quote2. Libellous/insulting posts about a real person
   In this day and age, many more people are becoming aware of the existance of boards such as this. While this is generally a good thing, it also means that the posts are
   more likely to be read by a casual visitor to the site. In these circumstances, the board must protect itself against allegations of libel, or defamation and so any posts
   which make derogatory remarks about a named, or clearly implied, individual, are a serious breach of the rules, and dangerous to the board itself. This particularly applies
   to individuals' private lives, finances, legal issues etc etc. This also applies to unwarranted abuse of GAA players and officials.

Penalties - 1st Offence - Warning, Second Offence  - 5 Day Ban, Third Offence - Permanent Ban

WTF?

ludermor

Apart from Tankie, has anyone (MOD?) said that the ban is permanent? I certainly didnt think it was permanent ( or should be) and i think tankie is just looking for attention again
LL when Gnevin comes back and says that he did mean what some think it meant would you accept that a ban was merited?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: ludermor on July 22, 2008, 09:59:15 PM
Apart from Tankie, has anyone (MOD?) said that the ban is permanent? I certainly didnt think it was permanent ( or should be) and i think tankie is just looking for attention again
LL when Gnevin comes back and says that he did mean what some think it meant would you accept that a ban was merited?

Yes i would accept it
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Minder

The thing that i think needs cleared up is are posters getting treated more harshly when they speak of "one of our own" i.e. a GAA player or someone from this island,there have been posters alluding about Peter Robinson the exact thing Gnevin was getting at about GG, on the Maddie Mc Cann there have been a few very distasteful jokes from Double Cross and Scud but sure the Mc Canns are not likely to read this board so its ok. There needs to be a uniform application of the rules.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Chrisowc

Quote from: hardstation on July 22, 2008, 08:56:31 PM
Well, I hadn't a notion until ChrisOWC pointed it out. Ban him.

:-\
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

muppet

Quote from: Minder on July 22, 2008, 10:13:06 PM
The thing that i think needs cleared up is are posters getting treated more harshly when they speak of "one of our own" i.e. a GAA player or someone from this island,there have been posters alluding about Peter Robinson the exact thing Gnevin was getting at about GG, on the Maddie Mc Cann there have been a few very distasteful jokes from Double Cross and Scud but sure the Mc Canns are not likely to read this board so its ok. There needs to be a uniform application of the rules.

Minder this site is registered in some one's name, he/she is the owner. If any action is taken against the site the owner would be liable for any offense committed and for any penalty due.

An Irish person who is a star in the subject matter of the board is more likely to take such action than some unconected person from a foreign country. Therefore it is reasonable for the owner to be more aggressive against posts more likely to send him to court that any others.
MWWSI 2017

Minder

Quote from: muppet on July 22, 2008, 10:37:16 PM
Quote from: Minder on July 22, 2008, 10:13:06 PM

Minder this site is registered in some one's name, he/she is the owner. If any action is taken against the site the owner would be liable for any offense committed and for any penalty due.

An Irish person who is a star in the subject matter of the board is more likely to take such action than some unconected person from a foreign country. Therefore it is reasonable for the owner to be more aggressive against posts more likely to send him to court that any others.

Why have a set of rules that are not enforced then?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

dodo

Hang the fuckereen !

Pangurban