Free GNEVIN

Started by Tankie, July 22, 2008, 04:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tankie

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 23, 2008, 12:59:00 PM
QuoteI think we all know what is being said there!

I genuinely don't know what you are talking about and I doubt I'm the only one.

Or is it another "hilarious" bit of banter/wind up?

Quotewhat post of yours? i don't remember reporting one but if you tell me what it is i can verify!

Thanks for the confirmation.

how can you have confirmation if i havent verified it?

Grand Slam Saturday!

Tankie

Quote from: ludermor on July 23, 2008, 12:58:33 PM
Tankie them 2 threads were dealt with at the time. Treat this case on its own merits.

One thread was only dealt with after a poster acted to highlight the sickness of what was been posted by many posters in regards to teh crushing to death od innocent Dublin peopel!
Grand Slam Saturday!

brokencrossbar1

Tankie, the reasons that people are banned are valid, not just for the integrity of the board but also potentially to save their own asses.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2006/mar/23/digitalmedia.law

Read this article and you will see that Gnevin for instance could very easily be sued by GG for his under handed accusation as could others who have been banned on this board.

There is a current case going through the appeals court in America whereby AOL I think are being forced to make the details of the users of chat rooms available as there have been a number of actions brought against them but they are hiding behind the argument that they are simply a facilitato and not the "owner" of the libellous comments.

We live in a very small gold fish bowl in the GAA world, I have been approached by people who you would never imagine being anywhere near a discussion board who know who I am on here.  I have been "named" on this board at least twice by people who I do not know.  Now, I don't particularly care about that but the point is that we are an agent that is available to billions of people if they so desire.  We can maybe get away with making a smart , close to the bone remark about George W as I doubt the White House staff have us in their favourites list but it would be very easy for either an individual themselves or someone they know to become aware of a comment that went to far and next thing the site is closed.  It happened to Rebel GAA, to orchardcounty.com and I am sure others and if we are not strict about comments about individuals it will happen here.  

Also each issue must be seen in isolation as there are many different kinds of statements made here.  Gnevin was on a warning and he should have known better.

Also stop being a MOPE, no one is out to get the "poor" Dubs.  If you get banned it doesn't matter if you're from Glasnevin or Grenagh if you post something stupid you deserve it.

Yes I Would

Lar Naparka

I have googled and wikied and I still haven’t a clue!
Obviously, Gnevin implied/hinted/suggested, or whatever you’re having yourself, something about Graham Geraghty and the Mods didn’t like it.
They seemed to have deemed it serious enough to ban him. That’s about as far as poor Lar can go without getting a headache; same as I do when I go on about John O’Mahony.
But I did have reason to PM the chief mod recently as I was having trouble accessing the board and thought I might have been shown the gate or something like that.
I got a very prompt, helpful and good humoured reply.
Based on his reply I’d consider him a reasonable and sociable type of individual, contrary to what some other posters on the board had led me to believe.
I’d be inclined to think this man had to have serious and genuine concerns about the subject matter of Gnevin’s post before taking the action he did.
Like I said, I still don’t get the joke and it really won’t bother me if I never will; I just feel gaaboardmod3 believed the matter serious enough, to him at any rate, for the red card to be produced.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

brokencrossbar1

Lar, there is a new idiotic thread started by sausilto bay and the last line of the first post will give you an idea of what the nickname of Stella is

Tankie

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 23, 2008, 01:07:13 PM
Tankie, the reasons that people are banned are valid, not just for the integrity of the board but also potentially to save their own asses.

Read this article and you will see that Gnevin for instance could very easily be sued by GG for his under handed accusation as could others who have been banned on this board.

There is a current case going through the appeals court in America whereby AOL I think are being forced to make the details of the users of chat rooms available as there have been a number of actions brought against them but they are hiding behind the argument that they are simply a facilitato and not the "owner" of the libellous comments.

We live in a very small gold fish bowl in the GAA world, I have been approached by people who you would never imagine being anywhere near a discussion board who know who I am on here.  I have been "named" on this board at least twice by people who I do not know.  Now, I don't particularly care about that but the point is that we are an agent that is available to billions of people if they so desire.  We can maybe get away with making a smart , close to the bone remark about George W as I doubt the White House staff have us in their favourites list but it would be very easy for either an individual themselves or someone they know to become aware of a comment that went to far and next thing the site is closed.  It happened to Rebel GAA, to orchardcounty.com and I am sure others and if we are not strict about comments about individuals it will happen here.  

Also each issue must be seen in isolation as there are many different kinds of statements made here.  Gnevin was on a warning and he should have known better.

Also stop being a MOPE, no one is out to get the "poor" Dubs.  If you get banned it doesn't matter if you're from Glasnevin or Grenagh if you post something stupid you deserve it.

I can see what you are saying but i guess people don't mind reading about the joy in the crushing to death of innocent Dublin people at a GAA match. Maybe if action had of been taken before the board was alloud to go down the tube two weeks ago poster wouldnt have felt so free to post whatever they want.

Many people who though that thread was sick pointed out that a new standard had been set by the MODs and we all know the only reason the thread got pulled down was because Gnevin took some maybe miss guided action but it had the desired effect!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Billys Boots

QuoteIt happened to Rebel GAA, to orchardcounty.com and I am sure others and if we are not strict about comments about individuals it will happen here.

It happened the Longford GAABoard about five years ago too.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Tankie on July 23, 2008, 01:16:23 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 23, 2008, 01:07:13 PM

Also stop being a MOPE, no one is out to get the "poor" Dubs.  If you get banned it doesn't matter if you're from Glasnevin or Grenagh if you post something stupid you deserve it.

I can see what you are saying but i guess people don't mind reading about the joy in the crushing to death of innocent Dublin people at a GAA match. Maybe if action had of been taken before the board was alloud to go down the tube two weeks ago poster wouldnt have felt so free to post whatever they want.

Many people who though that thread was sick pointed out that a new standard had been set by the MODs and we all know the only reason the thread got pulled down was because Gnevin took some maybe miss guided action but it had the desired effect!

Tankie, you are completely missing the point.  The comments about the trampling of Dubs was wrong.  Whatever way the Mods dealt with that should stand alone.  However, Gnevin posted a "joke" with a very serious insinuation behind it.  GG would be within his rights to have this place closed down because of it.  No one could make the same argument about the trampling of dubs comment.  If i turned around and called a fellow poster a paedo or rapist or whatever or insinuated it, no matter how much of a joke I thought it would be my ass would rightly be ripped over the coals.  Don't underestimate what goes on in the world away from the "safety" of an anonymous handle on a chat room board.  We are liable for what happens here and if we dirty an individuals character we must take that on the chin.

Square Ball

I agree we need to be policed, I diddnt see the comments posted and think i understand what was being hinted at, but there are a lot worse on the board at the minute, and its not hinted at either.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Lar Naparka

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 23, 2008, 01:14:52 PM
Lar, there is a new idiotic thread started by sausilto bay and the last line of the first post will give you an idea of what the nickname of Stella is
Thanks, bc1. I get the “joke” now. I definitely still think the mod is a sound man.
BTW, a very good site (castlebar.ie) had to shut down because of something a lot less serious.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

stephenite

Here we go again.

The amount of people on this board that think they have some sort of right to free speech on here is crazy - you don't. You are here at the pleasure of the Admin and the mods - if they decide to ban you, you're gone.

They are the ones liable for the shite that gets posted on here - they give up their free time. If they decide that someone elses outbursts and potentially libellous comments are OK and others are not - tough shit, get over it.

Tankie - most people on here have posted happily for years without anyone having to be banned, warned or moderated, unfortunately an influx of clowns has resulted in this having to change.

If you don't like it - get fucked. Seriously, no one really gives a flying shit about you, me or Gnevin, or Hardstation or why Fearon gets away with more. Go elsewhere if you don't like it, complaining and moaning is not going to acheive anything.

I'd prefer a Gaaboard with out Gnevin, Hardstation, Drici or anyone else that has had little cry about being banned than having no Gaaboard at all.

his holiness nb

Seven pages of this shite  ::)
Tankie, if you are that appalled f**k off to another site.

The mods do a good job trying to keep us eegits in check. They put the time in, we play by their rules. If you dont like it, play elsewhere.
Ask me holy bollix

Tankie

stephenite all i'm trying to do is point out some serious issues with the board and hope it gets better, i think its the people who are alloud do what they want are the ones that are doing the damage, threads like O'Neills thread last week pissed alot of people off as it proved that the board only has standards when it suits.

O'Neill pointed out to me a few weeks back that i never post about threads to do with Dublins games and my answer was that i dont see the point as it is impossible to have any decent desission in regard to dublin as somebody just comes slagging and jeering or abusing so i have given up and just discuss Dublin on another board.

As for the board been find before clowns or muppets joined the board i am unsure what you mean, when i first joined this board it was an open free for all in abusing the dubs as scumbags or cheeky dubs or whatever so i am unsure how far back you are talking!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Billys Boots

Quotemy answer was that i dont see the point as it is impossible to have any decent desission in regard to dublin as somebody just comes slagging and jeering or abusing so i have given up and just discuss Dublin on another board.

So why are you here?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...