Darren Fay & Graham Geraghty........

Started by thejuice, July 21, 2008, 10:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

.......according to the Independant have both retired,

So I'd like to thanks them on their services to Meath football over the years and the huge part they played in bringing A-I glory to us in '96 and '99. Darren was the foundation of the best defense in the country during those years and even in more recent times was an immense figure. Even during the ensuing lean years his performances were still gutsy and determined as ever.

As for Graham, well theres no shortage highlights. His points against Cork in 99 or the way he tore through the Tyrone defense in 96 and again last year with his flick of the ball over the keepers head. His battles with the Dubs over the years and the 'affection' he recieved from Hill 16 was always amusing. Especially when he broke their hearts. His partnership with Ollie Murphy was also something special. Together they were the talking point of 2001, especially the way they scrambled a draw from the jaws of defeat against Westmeath with a goal from Ollie that was made on the understanding they had of each other.

So to Darren and Graham thanks for the memories and your always welcome back if you think you've got it in you!!!
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Onion Bag

2 of the finest in the country, loved watching Meath play when both guys were playing, Best of luck to them
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Jinxy

A sad end for two truly great footballers. Deserved better than to be associated with our most gutless championship defeat in living memory. :(
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

Two great players and two legends of the game. Best of luck to them both.
#newbridgeornowhere

magpie seanie

Its pretty sad to see two greats pack it in and these two were two of my favourites. The memories will stay with me forever of some of their performances. Thanks for them lads, ye were great.

meathie

gutted to see them finish this way. 2 of my favs over the last decade and more. The thoughts that I wont have to defend Geraghty ever again for his sly trip or verbal abuse is depressing! I am going to have so much free time now!
Seriously though, thanks to the 2 boys for some brilliant displays. I will always remember Fay scoring the goal against Kildare last year followed by a super stop on the his own line from the next kick out. I will also remember Grahams super points against the Dubs from almost the end line a few years back and of course his display vs Tyrone in 96. Best of luck lads, your always welcome back to the Royals!  :'(

rrhf

Would I be right in saying this is not the first time these guys have called it a day or had retirement threads written about them.  They were two very good servants for Meath football, fine charismatic footballers and their careers lasted longers than the others from their 2 all Ireland wins in the 1990s, as a Tyrone man the image of Geraghty in 96 skipping up the wing  away from  Logan and Mc Garrity  in particular will haunt me till I stop watching football.   Some good points there about Boylan staying too long, but surely theres a case for a return.  Is there also an arguement that too many players stay too long for their own and their countys good. 

Hardy

Sad news, no less so because it's inevitable. Both men can erase last Saturday from their career records as Darren acquitted himself heroically and Graham honourably.

Juice's highlights pretty much coincide with mine, except that my standout Geraghty moment was the goal that broke Louth's hearts in the qualifier in 2002 (also conceived in partnership with Ollie). I can't think of another player who wouldn't have punched the ball over the bar and be delighted and relieved to have got an unlikely draw. Not Geraghty. When nobody else in the stadium even saw the possibility, he saw the goal chance and didn't even think about the point. Sporting genius.

Darren Fay was possibly the best Meath full back ever. That's quite a statement, when you consider the men who have worn the golden 3 - Paddy O'Brien, Martin and Jack Quinn, Mick Lyons (all of whom I've seen, except O'Brien). He was certainly the most skilful on the ball of that group and probably the best reader of the game in an era when a full back had to be more than just a high fielder at the edge of the square. Darren's special talent was to understand that all the full back needs to do is deny the forward possession. Hence he concentrated on getting the hand, foot or anything else to the ball to avert the immediate danger and wasn't bothered about the spectacular high fetch and bursting clearance.

Thanks boys. Great, great days and memories for a lifetime.

(This will all sound a bit silly if the lads come back yet again under the new management).

T Fearon

Good careers in terms of longevity but sadly tainted in both cases. In Geraghty's case his shameful histrionics in getting Ger Reid sent off in the 1999 AI Semi Final, and Fay, albeit under the influence of copious amounts of alcohol, for his woeful rendition of "Beautiful Meath" live on national television after the 1996 AI Final Replay, when even Tommy Dowd knew to keep his mouth shut.

Hardy

T Fearon

Thats a bit harsh. I wouldn't have applied that term to either. Which one had you in mind?

PS With Geraghty gone peace might at last break out at Meath training sessions ;D

AZOffaly

Best of luck to both of them. Proud Meath footballers, and it's a pity to see them finish up in the circumstances they did. Neither of them, or their careers, deserved it. They've had plenty of highs though, and when the dust settles on the Limerick debacle, that's what they'll be remembered for, and rightly so.

meathie

Geraghty commented that he would love to end on a high but god knows how long more he'd be there then!

upthehoops

Quote from: Hardy on July 21, 2008, 11:37:31 AM
Tosser.
Well if Tommy Dowd knew when to keep his mouth shut its a pity that Tosser Fearon couldn't do likewise. Never seems to know when to button it with his innane mutterings

Hardy

Perhaps you'd like to explain, Gnevin?