Tyrone v Westmeath

Started by Fuzzman, July 20, 2008, 06:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Zapatista

Quote from: sam03/05 on July 20, 2008, 07:18:28 PM
I think Tyrone will be happy to have avoided Monaghan, Donegal and Down

I don't think they would have cared either way. There is no point hoping to avoid anyone at this stage. Down might have been a bad draw but it would've been equally or even worse for Down. Tyrone may have peaked and we might have to accept we have seen them at their best.

So Westmeath it is and the only thing to be happy about from the draw is that we are at home. The rest dosen't really matter.

rrhf

AI prediction
My favourites: Dubs / Cork
Equivalent chances: Armagh, Tyrone, Kerry, Galway.
Its there to play for:

Fuzzman

Yeah I'm happy enuf as think it will be a good challenge as would rate them around the same level of ourselves and from what I heard during the National League I believe they have really taken on board our style from 2003/05 where they play on the break with Glennon quite the target man

I think the home advantage will be a big bonus for us and a bit of a hindrance for Westmeath

If we do as well around the middle in this game as we did on Sat then I think we should come through alright.
We still have Mugsy, Mulgrew & a few other forwards to step in so moving Sean to MF would be possible.

It sure is a wide open AI this year with one of the earlier favourites Derry falling away on Sat and with Armagh looking very beatable now too.
How good the Dubs are is still in doubt and so if we can hang in there and get a run in the qualifiers then maybe we can make the quarters

Interesting how we seem to be following in Dublins footprints so far with Louth and now Westmeath.
Thank God Meath are gone but wonder could we get Wexford should we progress.

clarshack

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 20, 2008, 09:01:21 PM
Tyrone think they will thump Westmeath in fortress Omagh. Make no mistake about it.

tyrone's championship record at omagh is far from impressive. derry 91 & 06, armagh 93 & down 08 spring to mind. westmeath have been gutless in the past when it has been put up to them - who can forget dessie dolan missing a 14 yard free in front of the posts against meath and the derry farce in 04. however i think they have a bit more steel this year and it will be a close game.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: ONeill on July 20, 2008, 08:22:15 PM
Trying to think of recent meetings. I remember we hammered them in Omagh in '04 and again in Mullingar in '05. O'Neill was flying that day in Mullingar. Oh the memories....

I remember that all too well, tore us assunder...  >:(

Quote from: clarshack on July 21, 2008, 10:59:30 AM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 20, 2008, 09:01:21 PM
Tyrone think they will thump Westmeath in fortress Omagh. Make no mistake about it.

tyrone's championship record at omagh is far from impressive. derry 91 & 06, armagh 93 & down 08 spring to mind. westmeath have been gutless in the past when it has been put up to them - who can forget dessie dolan missing a 14 yard free in front of the posts against meath and the derry farce in 04. however i think they have a bit more steel this year and it will be a close game.

What was the Derry farce in 04??? Disclaimer: Never watched the replay of this game...

Couldn't have got a much tougher draw. Tyrone, genuine AI contenders, away from home, ffs... Someone in GAA land has it in for us, 4 games away from home in the NFL, 3 games out of 3 away from home in the Leinster Championship and so far 2 games out of 2 away from home in the AI Qualifiers.  >:( That added to the fact that our first 3 midfielders are on blocks puts us right up against it. We'll need a performance similar to the Dublin game with better point and free taking to stand a chance. Hopefully the miracle healers will be working round the clock in Westmeath this week...

Presume this match will be in Healy Park, will it be pay at the gate, close to sell out??? Also directions and parking tips coming from Donegal town would be appreciated...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Fuzzman

Bad road Croi but shouldn't be much traffic

You'll come in the Dromore Road into Omagh and then you're looking to get onto the Mountjoy/Gortin Road B48.
You might be better parking up near the town centre and walking out to the ground as traffic afterwards is usually brutal.

http://local.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=Donegal+Town&daddr=54.547774,-7.851105+to:Omagh&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=11&via=1&sll=54.592356,-7.660217&sspn=0.283259,0.598755&ie=UTF8&ll=54.56211,-7.617645&spn=0.283469,0.598755&z=11

Can't see it being all ticket for a Sat night match can we folks?

ziggysego

Fecking sister's wedding >:(
Testing Accessibility

sam03/05

id say the stand could be all ticket

clarshack

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 21, 2008, 11:56:10 AM
What was the Derry farce in 04??? Disclaimer: Never watched the replay of this game...

winning your 1st leinster title should have been a springboard for an assault on the all-ireland but instead westmeath just lay down against derry in the all-ireland 1/4 final.

Norf Tyrone

Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Zapatista

Quote from: clarshack on July 21, 2008, 12:47:54 PM

winning your 1st leinster title should have been a springboard for an assault on the all-ireland but instead westmeath just lay down against derry in the all-ireland 1/4 final.

Our else a huge sence of achievement and an excuse for a major pissup. Do you think if Fermanagh beat Armagh they will make an assault on the all Ireland?

clarshack

Quote from: Zapatista on July 21, 2008, 01:22:52 PM
Quote from: clarshack on July 21, 2008, 12:47:54 PM

Our else a huge sence of achievement and an excuse for a major pissup. Do you think if Fermanagh beat Armagh they will make an assault on the all Ireland?

100% yes they will. if they didnt they would be cheating themselves.