UMFC Final - Tyrone v Monaghan

Started by ONeill, July 15, 2008, 12:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone86

Quote from: tieroan on July 18, 2008, 01:48:16 PM
If I am correct they won Ulster last year and were beating by the eventual All Ireland champions the year before that. Perhaps the hype of all the underage talent in Tyrone is only a myth!!!!!!!!

They won an Ulster last year, but it could have been an All-Ireland. And the previous year they where beat by a decent enough Donegal team. If I'm not mistaken it was Roscommon won the All Ireland that year.

I've said it more than once and I'll say it again, man for man this team is more talented than the men of 98, yet on the field they haven't come near to reaching the heights of that side. Still a long time to the 3rd Sunday in September though.

loughshore lad

Quote from: tyrone86 on July 18, 2008, 02:07:29 PM
I've said it more than once and I'll say it again, man for man this team is more talented than the men of 98, yet on the field they haven't come near to reaching the heights of that side. Still a long time to the 3rd Sunday in September though.

Thats a bold statement given who good that team was in 98 and subsequently how many of them went on to perform at under 21 and senior level.  To be honest I have not seen enough of this years team to make a detailed comparison but from what I have seen this years team wouldnt be in any where near the same league.

Zapatista

Quote from: loughshore lad on July 18, 2008, 02:18:17 PM

Thats a bold statement given who good that team was in 98 and subsequently how many of them went on to perform at under 21 and senior level.  To be honest I have not seen enough of this years team to make a detailed comparison but from what I have seen this years team wouldnt be in any where near the same league.
[/b]

Perhaps not even the 97 team?

rrhf

I think theres a certain element of entrepreneurial luck attached to these teams.  If Monroe won an AI then hes entitled to move with that team up the ladder to under 21 level.  If he achieves at that level well then I think the apprenticeship has been well served and he deserves a chance at top dog with that team.  I think that Harte grew after 97 with that team, previous poor seasons went out the window.  He developed with the team and came through with his under 21s and then seniors, whatever magic Mickey has with his teams  its hard to define, similarly when the chemistry goes it becomes harder to realise what is missing.  Tyrone football made a mistake in the 90s by not bringing Danny Ball through until his players  were shot, having been  beat out the doors of Croke Park twice.  Mickey knew it was his era -fought for his chance, got it, justified it twice and now must see his team getting slower and older and relaise that his era may now be waning.  Regardless of when Mickey decides he needs to go I have no doubt he will take another Tyrone team infuse them with his magic and take them through to sucess again. The same should happen to any minor or under 21 management that delivers at both levels.   If they cant deliver say for example with an under 21 team what they delivered at minor level then they are certainly not fit for an additional step up.  Let monroe win or lose this year before we make our decisions but he and his team must deliver.

tyrone86

Quote from: loughshore lad on July 18, 2008, 02:18:17 PM

It is, especially as I consider the 98 team as one of the greatest ever.

But like the men of 98 they struggled to get past Down in the first round before kicking into gear. Like the men of 98 they had numerous Hogan and Vocational winners. Like the men of 98, their (original) captain has been injury hit. And also like the men of 98, there are 4 Ardboe panel  ;)

tyrone86

Balls, there are only 3 Ardboe men in the panel this year but they rest of the point still stands, talent and potential wise they're as good.

loughshore lad

Quote from: tyrone86 on July 18, 2008, 03:53:36 PM
But like the men of 98 they struggled to get past Down in the first round before kicking into gear. Like the men of 98 they had numerous Hogan and Vocational winners. Like the men of 98, their (original) captain has been injury hit. And also like the men of 98, there are 4 Ardboe panel  ;)

Funny just as I was typing that post the thought about McGuigan and McNabb went through my head. The 98 team won the all ireland with their best player in Brian McGuigan starting only 1 game from memory (Down game) and only playing a bit part role the rest of the way through.  It will be interesting to see if this years vintage can do the same.  By the way there are 3 Ardboe lads on this years panel and not 4!

sam03/05

cant see pickering playing despite being named

jaykay

Quote from: tieroan on July 18, 2008, 01:48:16 PM
If I am correct they won Ulster last year and were beating by the eventual All Ireland champions the year before that. Perhaps the hype of all the underage talent in Tyrone is only a myth!!!!!!!!

They won an Ulster last year, but it could have been an All-Ireland. And the previous year they where beat by a decent enough Donegal team. If I'm not mistaken it was Roscommon won the All Ireland that year.

Very true Tyrone86, after Connacht Roscommon beat Tipperary, Meath and then Kerry in a replay to win it out in 2006

ziggysego

Ulster Minor Championship Final
Tyrone Minor Team v Monaghan

1. Tim Harney   Gleann Eallaigh
2. Finbar McQuaid   Eochair
3. Gavin Teague   Ard Bó
4. Ryan Pickering   An Chorra Chriochach
5. Stephen McRory   Aireagal Chiaráin
6. Peter Harte   Aireagal Chiaráin
7. Ronan Tierney   Aireagal Chiaráin
8. Kyle Coney   Ard Bó
9. Niall McKenna   Domhnach Mór
10. Ciaran Girvan   Doire Lochain
11. Diarmuid McNulty   An Goirtin
12. Matthew Donnelly   Trí Leac
13. Sean Warnock   An Caisean Glas
14. Patrick McNiece   Oilean a'Ghuail
15. Conor O'Neill   An Droim Mhór

16. Ronan McAnenly   Aireagal Chiaráin
17. Ruari Keenan   An Goirtin
18. Kevin Mossey   An Goirtin
19. Brian McGarvey   An Goirtin
20. Martin Rodgers   Bearach
21. Sean Murphy   Cabhan a Chaoirtainn
22. Michael Slane   An Charraig Mhór
23. Ryan McKenna  An Eaglais
24. Brian Kelly   An Chorra Chriochach

My cousin, plus Greencastle's Sean Warnock is starting  ;D
Testing Accessibility

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

sam03/05

id say that Brian Kelly will come into defence and that Teague wull play CHB
is there anywhere to watch this game on TV???

orangeman

What time is the minor throw in ?