UMFC Final - Tyrone v Monaghan

Started by ONeill, July 15, 2008, 12:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

A repeat of the 2001 final, as well as the great 46-48 side!

Any thoughts on how good this Farney side are?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Looking at the stats, the 3 Mexican sides have an awful record at minor level - Monaghan have 3 titles, Donegal 4 and Cavan 5. Tyrone and Derry have more than those combined. Even Antrim have 8! Why is this? Is there something to do with school-leaving age or exams?

orangeman

Should be a great game - Tyrone all through the campaign have been getting by - who are favourites going into this final ?

ONeill

I'd say Tyrone are hot favourites with Monaghan a big price.

donelli

Monaghan havn't won an ulster final since 1945  :o

Jinxy

If the Leinster and Ulster finals go the way they're expected to, there could be another Meath-Tyrone rematch on the way. Anyone know what way the draw works for the minors?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mhacadoir

was a bit disappointed with tyrone the last day out. they should not have let cavan back into the game and could well have lost. having said that it seemed like they have a lot more to give. should be a good final

ONeill

To answer my own question I assume it's because of the competitive MacRory Cup that gives the college counties an edge. In saying that, Dungannon didn't win their first til '91 and Omagh were an inconsistent performer. You'd have thought Down, Armagh and Derry would be the heavyweights.

D4S

2/7 Tyrone
3/1 Monaghan
8/1 Draw

Tyrone were hotly fancied like this in their first 2games  also and down and cavan both ran them very close....I'd say down probably deserved a draw, but that's where the bit of experience from the like of Niall McKenna (one of the many hogan cup winners on the panel) in midfield who had a stormer shone and they were able to see out the result.  Tyrone to win by 6, they'll step it up a notch for this tie!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

Zapatista

Will Ronan McNabe be back? What was the outcome of the sending offs for Tyrone the last day out?

ziggysego

Looking forward to this game and I'm hoping that Greencastle's Sean Warnock will get a chance to show the rest of the county what he can do.
Testing Accessibility

Rossfan

Quote from: Jinxy on July 15, 2008, 03:46:00 PM
Anyone know what way the draw works for the minors?

Quarter Finals are Connacht v Ulster so based on recent years it should mean Mayo and Ros in the Semi finals. ;) to face Kerry and Meath/Offaly.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

FermGael

TYP is quite correct.  Monaghan have beaten 2 well fancied teams this year in Derry and Fermanagh.
Fermanagh started 13 out of the 15 starting players who played in the McRory cup final.  The 2 who did not start were D Keenan(overage) and M Donnelly(from Trillick and playing for Tyrone).  Derry had 5 or 6 members of the team who made the All Ireland final last year.
Seen Monaghan against Fermanagh and they were 5 or 6 points down at half time.  They did not panic, were extremely well drilled and seem to have a very good management team.  Also brought on a midfielder at half time who turned the game. 
Monaghan will give this Tyrone team a game of it.  They are used to being underdogs and there would not be too many who would have predicted them contesting an Ulster final this year.
So far Tyrone have not been firing on all cylinders and have found the favourites tag hard to deal with.  Tyrone have a huge depth of talent but it seems that the management do not know the best team.  Should be a good game and Monaghan look great value at 3-1
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

FermPundit

I think I read somewhere that the big full foward for Monaghan minors, Aaron McCarey plays international soccer for the Republic of Ireland youth teams. Is he a goalkeeper?
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

tyrone86

I hear McNabb is likely to be togged out and Pickering is a major doubt for Tyrone.

I'd have to agree with TYP and Noel McGinn, there have definitely some strange team selections to date, but surely the management have learned enough between club championship and the previous minor matches to be pretty close to their strongest team.