Muineachán v Doire 19/20 July

Started by screenexile, June 30, 2008, 09:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Well sportsfans a repeat of last year's Ulster Semi Final and the tie of the round as far as many are concerned.

I'm quite happy with this draw as it's a big team and a win against them would put our season back on track again. I always felt after last year that if we had to play Monaghan again we would beat them and now my theory can be tested. I think Monaghan played well above themselves with players like Dick Clerkin and Stephen Gollogly flourishing when reall I don't think they are that good. The wheels came off a bit for both sides against Fermanagh so it will be interesting to see who can put that behind them. A loss for either team would seem to indicate a new management team for next year but I think we have enough to beat them this time around.

timmyot501

Both teams had poor outtings against Fermanagh in Ulster but for this game Derry will be boosted by Doherty's return whereas Monaghan will be minus Gary McQuaid and Paul Finlay.  I think Monaghan needed a less difficult opener if they were to put a run together.  Add last years win by Monaghan over Derry (the revenge factor) and it all points to a Derry win unfortunately.  I think every Ulster team would have been praying to avoid another Ulster team and most of them did - leaving Monaghan and Derry as the unlucky ones

By the way - what a waste of time the hurling draws were!!

Real Talk

In the Qualifiers Home advantage is a big plus and Paul Finlay was't playing against Derry lasy year.  Derry players would need an 'injury free' run in their Club championship and considering they don't have a Championship Manager !! I think this game could go either way

lloyd christmas

Traditionally derry find Monaghan a tough nut to crack and I don't think it will be any different this time!  Think the full back line will need to tighten up a little and i think mccloy is drinking in the last chance saloon! I think this is a major problem at the moment, and Monaghan will be out to expose his lack of speed! Not an easy tie! ::)

Oakleafer1993

Great Tie. Do or Die. One game to rekindle Derry's fortunes or to put the nail in Paddy Croziers coffin.

If the Derry players can not get themselves motivated for this one they should hang up their boots. If we get passed Monaghan we are out in the open fields again.

donelli

Any chance this game will be moved forward a week.
The qualiifer is down for sat 19th July, but with the Ulster final on the following day, will the ulster council allow it be played 24 hours before their biggest game of the year???

lloyd christmas

Couldn't see it. Derry club championship games are this weekend so that would only give them a weeks preparation for monaghan.

Bogball XV

Quote from: timmyot501 on June 30, 2008, 09:28:23 AM
By the way - what a waste of time the hurling draws were!!
Not as big a waste of time as the Tommy Murphy draw was, glad to see Antrim avoided the big guns though :D

I think Derry will come through, provided Devlin and Doc start.

Oakleafer1993

Was over on the Monaghan hogan stand website and some poster says that Tommy Freeman is on clutches?
Any of you Monaghan lads know anything about that?
probably bullshit ......

Main Street

Shot himself in the foot with that nail gun :'(

Maguire01

Match at 3pm on the Saturday afternoon. I predict a very small crowd. It's too early for me. Why not 6 or 7 in the evening?

INDIANA

at the end of the day its two teams that aren't going to effect the business end of the championship or get anywhere near Kerry for that matter. I can't see Derry losing, doherty with one arm will win midfield and that will be enough.

Maguire01

Quote from: INDIANA on June 30, 2008, 06:09:38 PM
I can't see Derry losing, doherty with one arm will win midfield and that will be enough.
Yes, the way he did last year. Oh, wait...

southderryman

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 30, 2008, 06:21:22 PM
I can't see Derry losing, doherty with one arm will win midfield and that will be enough.

he suffered an injury in the first half and didnt reappear for the second half.............this might have a bearing on why he didnt win midfield!

Maguire01

Quote from: southderryman on June 30, 2008, 07:21:21 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on June 30, 2008, 06:21:22 PM

he suffered an injury in the first half and didnt reappear for the second half.............this might have a bearing on why he didnt win midfield!
He was substituted in the 59th minute. Maybe because he wasn't winning midfield?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/6235252.stm

I'm not trying to be awkward - he may well win midfield in the next game, but the assumpton that he will clean up is a bit bold.