Muineachán v Doire 19/20 July

Started by screenexile, June 30, 2008, 09:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

Monaghan-Derry clash live on TV3
01 July 2008

Ulster rivals Monaghan and Derry will battle it out in a First Round qualifier of the GAA All Ireland Senior Football Championship, live on TV3, Saturday 19 July from 2pm.

GAA president Nickey Brennan pulled out the names of last season's All Ireland quarter finalists Monaghan and this season's National League Champions Derry, for a do-or-die match in Clones.

An average of 248,000 viewers tuned in to TV3's Championship Live for the Leinster Senior Football Semi-Final between Dublin and Westmeath, with a peak of 400,000 tuning in for the closing stages of the game at Croke Park.

TV3 Sports Editor, Kieran Holden said: "It shows how strong the Ulster Football Championship is that neither of these teams made the final, we're delighted to have first pick of the qualifiers and Monaghan versus Derry was the stand out game from the draw. With Fermanagh and Armagh contesting the Ulster Final the following day, it sets up a thrilling weekend of live GAA Championship action on TV3."

Monaghan v Derry; Live on TV3, Saturday July 19 from 2pm.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

ONeill

Should be a great game, albeit a war of attrition - 2 teams with lofty ambitions at the start of May, now staring into a depressing abyss of chronic underachievement. The losers will be distraught. Although Monaghan have home advantage, I think Derry will prevail simply because they have better footballers in most sectors and only lost to Fermanagh by 2 despite playing shite for 50 mins. Doherty's return will reinvigorate the side. 3 point win for the in-breds.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

bingobus

Can't see Monaghan getting within 5 points of Derry. Our squad was stretched for the Fermanagh game, with Banty showing he had little or no faith in the squad as a whole.

Well he is going to need to that squad now, 4 of the team that played against Fermanagh are gone with only one of those having any chance of playing. Eoin Lennon is still struggling for form and Dick Clerkin is not a Intercounty midfield or even half forward.

Where do Monaghan turn to? Only hope to is dour game and keeping the Bradleys quiet. Have to match Fermanaghs hunger and desire. In front of about 5/6,000 in clones, I don't think this will happen.

Will Hunting

Quote from: bingobus on July 02, 2008, 10:06:34 AM
Can't see Monaghan getting within 5 points of Derry. Our squad was stretched for the Fermanagh game, with Banty showing he had little or no faith in the squad as a whole.

Well he is going to need to that squad now, 4 of the team that played against Fermanagh are gone with only one of those having any chance of playing. Eoin Lennon is still struggling for form and Dick Clerkin is not a Intercounty midfield or even half forward.

Where do Monaghan turn to? Only hope to is dour game and keeping the Bradleys quiet. Have to match Fermanaghs hunger and desire. In front of about 5/6,000 in clones, I don't think this will happen.
So Bingo, what do you reckon the Monaghan team will be?

bingobus

What I think the team will be and what I would like it to be would be polls apart. Too early to be picking team and with the injuries hanging over the team there are a number of questions marks.

I would have liked to see Vinny Corey out of FF but with Ronaghan injured is their a replacement? JP moved to MF with Vinny or Paul McGuigan at FB. Dessie at wing back and Hanratty to start. Too many gaps in the forwards.

thebandit

I'd try Dessie at Centre Half, Hanratty is a cert to start - could get blown 3 times for overcarrying in the first 10 minutes, could run Derry ragged, who knows!

I would have liked to have seen Vinny at FB and JP at MF, but I think we will need Vinny in the forwards. Could Rory do the job at FF?

I'd try:
                Butsy

Morgan    Vinny     Flanagan
             D Freeman
Strimmer   Dessie   Darren Hughes

Lennon     JP

Jinxy        Paul McGuigan    Manzie
          Tommy       Rory         

Maguire01

Quote from: ONeill on July 02, 2008, 08:50:06 AM
Although Monaghan have home advantage, I think Derry will prevail simply because they have better footballers in most sectors and only lost to Fermanagh by 2 despite playing shite for 50 mins. Doherty's return will reinvigorate the side. 3 point win for the in-breds.
Monaghan played shite for a full 70 and only lost by 4, including 2 soft goals! We were the better losers against Fermanagh.  :P ;D
Do Derry really have better players? Make a combined starting 15 and see how many from each county.

Will Hunting

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 02, 2008, 01:07:40 PM
Quote from: ONeill on July 02, 2008, 08:50:06 AM
Although Monaghan have home advantage, I think Derry will prevail simply because they have better footballers in most sectors and only lost to Fermanagh by 2 despite playing shite for 50 mins. Doherty's return will reinvigorate the side. 3 point win for the in-breds.
Monaghan played shite for a full 70 and only lost by 4, including 2 soft goals! We were the better losers against Fermanagh.  :P ;D
Do Derry really have better players? Make a combined starting 15 and see how many from each county.
Probably a lazy assumption, but it would generally be recognised that Derry have more talent in their squad. There are players with AI U-21 medals, AI Minor medals, AI Club medals, Ulster Club medals, Sigerson medals etc. Not that i agree this makes Derry a better team, because as we seen against Fermanagh last week and Monaghan last year, talent and individual flair can be nullified by a hard-working, organised unit. But we're sick to the teeth in Derry of discussing that particular issue.

Anyway, based on the team against Fermanagh last week (and in no way indicative of my thoughts on what the team should actually be) here is a possible Derry starting 15 for you to compare against:

B Gillis
K McGuckin
K McCloy
M McGoldrick
G O'Kane
N McCusker
M McIvor
F Doherty
J Diver
M Lynch
P Murphy
E Muldoon
E Bradley
P Bradley
C Gilligan
-----

Others:
SM Lockhart
J Conway
C Devlin
F McEldowney
B McGoldrick
L Hinphey

Real Talk

I think PC is going to shock everyone incuding the Derry panel and the team will be:
S McGuckin
K McGuckin N McCusker Eunan O'Kane
G O'Kane John O'Kane Joe O'Kane
F Doc and J Diiiver
E Muldoon E Bradley Patsy Bradley
Paul Bradley Paddy Bradley Seamus Bradley
There something about the O'Kane's and the Bradley's that PC likes  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ and that's about as much preparation as the actual starting team will get.   It'll give the TV3 pundits something to figure out (I don't think the other PC ...... Canavan that is !!!! will worry much about it)

ONeill

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 02, 2008, 01:07:40 PM

Do Derry really have better players?

In my opinion they do. Of the combined forward units available for the game, I'd only have Tommy as a definite starter, with the 2 Bradleys, Muldoon and Lynch. That'd leave the last place for either Gilligan, Murphy (Derry) or Corey.

In midfield it'd be Doherty and Diver for me.

Defensively, McCloy seems to have gone backwards since late-championship '07, but I'd still start him McGuckin, McCusker and McIvor with Damien Freeman and one of either corner back.

Maguire01

Quote from: ONeill on July 02, 2008, 11:26:07 PM
In my opinion they do. Of the combined forward units available for the game, I'd only have Tommy as a definite starter, with the 2 Bradleys, Muldoon and Lynch. That'd leave the last place for either Gilligan, Murphy (Derry) or Corey.
No place for Finlay or Woods in the forwards? I'd also consider McManus, although he has a lot of potential for the future, if not straight away - same with Hanratty.

In midfield it'd be Doherty and Diver for me.
Yes, Derry generally stronger in midfield. However, although Lennon is having a poor patch, he's usually pretty reliable.

Defensively, McCloy seems to have gone backwards since late-championship '07, but I'd still start him McGuckin, McCusker and McIvor with Damien Freeman and one of either corner back.
D Mone, JP Mone and McQuaid would have to feature at the back (in addition to Freeman). McGuigan also lookin good during the league as an attacking half-back.

ONeill

I didn't think Finlay was available for the game.

Uladh

I've only really seen him in the two championship games this year but am i missing what's good about michael McIvor?

Kentucky Blue

Like bingobus, the teams we want and the teams we think may start are polls apart.
What id like from a derry point of view (but know wont happen);

Deighan

McGoldrick
McCusker
Lockhart

McGuckin
G O'Kane
Hinphey

Doherty
Diver

Lynch
E Bradley
P Murphy

C Devlin
E Muldoon
P Bradley

the blanket defence could be bypassed by long high balls into Muldoon with Devlin and Paddy underneath him. Eoin Bradley running direct from CHF would be hard to stop without fouling.
Hinphey adds a bit of steel to the half back line. McGuckin is decent attacking and good height for kick outs. McCloy may have to bite the bullet for the good of the team.

whiskeysteve

Wouldn't have murphy at wing forward. Either CHF or on the bench
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w