Offaly v Down 19/20 July

Started by Down Gael, June 29, 2008, 09:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 09, 2008, 03:52:48 PM
Funny you mentioned that. When I was thinking of the lads living near us, I was going to mention Henry's. The grandparents lived there for years after we left as well, Dan Maher and Josie. I used spend a lot of my time there even after we left.

You're a Westmeath man so  :P
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

On holidays and Sundays :D I spend more time in Kerry these days, but I'm not a Kerry man either :D

Croí na hÉireann

Unlucky for you then the Offaly Westmeath game was put back to a Saturday  ;)
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

All things considered, I wouldn't swap :D

D4S

Down to beat Offaly in round 1, then get drawn against the winners of derry and monaghan in round 2, beat them and get great confidence.....then face Kerry in the final qulifier tie in Newry! Would be brilliant to get playing Kerry in Newry, would give us a great look at how much or little Down have progressed, and we'd see how Kerry would fancy a long trip up the road to Newry.  Considering we've never made the all ireland quarter finals since the change in structure there would be no pressure on Down, and a huge home support versus about 100 Kerry people....would be an interesting game!   I for 1 would love it!  ;)
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

Rossfan

Quote from: D4S on July 09, 2008, 06:48:24 PM
Down to beat Offaly in round 1, then get drawn against the winners of derry and monaghan in round 2, beat them and get great confidence.....then face Kerry in the final qulifier tie in Newry! !  ;)

Neutral venues in Round 3 I do believe... ;) Not that it will bother us too much :'(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

D4S

Oh no my dream of a tie against Kerry in Newry is shattered!!!!

Anyone confirm this that it is neutral venues for round 3?
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

umpire

Mary McAleese's brother Phelim Lenaghan play for Down Senior at right half back on number of occassion. When the Down team does well in 1960's there lots of supporters from Belfast area supporting Down.

Mourne Rover

My recollection is that Phelim Lenaghan was a full back when he played some NFL games for Down in the mid-1980s. He was a decent player, but probably too small for the position, so he would be well qualified for the present squad. If Declan Rooney, who has a bit more size, was released to play for Burren before the fixtures were cancelled, he must be pretty close to a recall. He might not be ready to start, but he would give us some options at half back or even midfield.

umpire

Mourne Rover

Phelim Lenaghan play mostly at centre full back for Rostrevor in club game but play at right half back on number of league games in mid 1990s for Down untill his injury, then he moved to Lucan Co. Dublin

Mourne Rover

Umpire, for the record, Phelim Lenaghan made his debut for Down in our NFL win over Kerry in Tralee on October 22, 1989. He definitely played at full back, and had the task of marking Maurice Fitzgerald. He was also named at full back for our next league game, which we lost at home to Dublin, but then seems to have faded out of the picture. This may have had something to do with his work commitments, as I seem to remember a plane ending up in the sea off Co Meath, fortunately without injury, when he was at the controls. However, I think we can all agree with your basic point that the extended Lenaghan familiy, including its most prominent member, all have red and black blood.

corn02

To the OffAlly men:

Whatever happened to the wee boy O'Hara (Johnny maybe?), did he not score 3-3 at the start of the year in the O'Byrne Cup or something. Haven't heard anything since?

Uladh

Quote from: Mourne Rover on July 10, 2008, 12:19:30 PM
I think we can all agree with your basic point that the extended Lenaghan familiy, including its most prominent member, all have red and black blood.

There must have been some sort of mass blood transfusion at some stage so.

western exile

Quote from: Uladh on July 10, 2008, 12:33:07 PM
Quote from: Mourne Rover on July 10, 2008, 12:19:30 PM
I think we can all agree with your basic point that the extended Lenaghan familiy, including its most prominent member, all have red and black blood.

There must have been some sort of mass blood transfusion at some stage so.
Next thing you will be saying is that Seán Og O'hAilpín is not a Cork man.  Wise up will ye.   :-\

umpire

Mourne Rover,

You seem have the details re Phelim Lenaghan and i have now been corrected.

I do not why i thought that Phelim play at right half back.

Thanks for correction