Offaly v Down 19/20 July

Started by Down Gael, June 29, 2008, 09:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

QuoteJust thought of one of the stewards in the main stand last Saturday night and how sporting he was , jeez it makes you proud to be a part of something like the GAA when you witness people who's team is after taking a hammering being so gracious and genuinely wishing us the best .

You'd know you were from Down then......... ;)

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Leo on July 22, 2008, 01:43:23 PM
Had the privilege of speaking after the game to an Offaly great, Phil O'Reilly, who played against Down in 60 & 61. A gentleman to his toes he was praising the Down team but still supporting Offaly and hopeful of better days ahead. Someone let Phil know he is a magnificent ambassador for his county.
Typical of the reception Down supporters got throughout Tullamore on Saturday and as is stated elsewhere in this thread makes you proud to belong to the GAA.
Fair play lads.
Don't be fooled into thinking we are nice to everyone though  ;D

I think Down have always been held in high regard down in Offaly.
A lot of it goes back to the great battles of the early 60s between the two counties.

Also I think both counties have similar traditions.
Neither are always consistently successful, or good even, but when Offaly or Down do get near the big stage, they traditionally don't doff their caps to teams like Kerry or Dublin. They have a certain irreverence without being bitter or edgy about it.

amallon

The crack was great in the pub before hand with a lot of Down heads getting behind Offaly against Waterford.  My only regret was that we hadn't booked to stay down.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.