Offaly v Down 19/20 July

Started by Down Gael, June 29, 2008, 09:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Quote from: umpire on July 10, 2008, 02:37:15 PM
Mourne Rover,

You seem have the details re Phelim Lenaghan and i have now been corrected.

I do not why i thought that Phelim play at right half back.

Thanks for correction

I played against Phelim at school and club level. Rostrevor had a few very good players in the early to mid 80s at minor level including Liam Heaney and Bleep Mooney....I think they went to Belfast and stayed there. Last time I saw them playing was for Carryduff
The Aristocrat Years

D4S

A good result last night for the lads. Drew with Monaghan in a challenge, both teams supposedly did a bit of experimenting but a very good challenge for both teams before next weekend.   3-11 to 1-16 and Benny Coulter scored 3goals, lets hope he can take this performance on to next weeks game with a bit more confidence!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

mournerambler

Quote from: D4S on July 12, 2008, 06:52:18 PM
A good result last night for the lads. Drew with Monaghan in a challenge, both teams supposedly did a bit of experimenting but a very good challenge for both teams before next weekend.   3-11 to 1-16 and Benny Coulter scored 3goals, lets hope he can take this performance on to next weeks game with a bit more confidence!
Is that not a one point win for Down then D4S?

Class of 99

I would like to see Colgan at number 6 to replace doyle. I think he could do a really solid job there with his size. Really hope the lads give a good account of themselves against Offaly. If they do I think they will have to much in a tight enough game. I think it is time for Paul Mc to start as it is asking too much for him to leap from the bench and adjust to the pace of a game everytime. Very encouraged by Bennys figures last night and I think if he can get somebody playing up top with him that will post 3-4 points a game he will have some of the pressure taken off him. Paul McCommiskey is that man.

time ticking away

canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

Down Gael

I`ve copied this from the Down thread in the Local GAA section. Sad news on McComiskey.

Severe injury for Down star
Terry McLaughlin
Paul McComiskey's footballing future in danger as MRI scan reveals collapsed disc in his spine

Down and out: McComiskey faces a lengthy recovery inphoDown's brilliant young corner forward Paul McComiskey has been diagnosed as suffering from a serious lower back injury. The Sunday Tribune can reveal that the 20-year-old Queen's University student, regarded as one of the most exciting attacking talents to emerge in recent years has a collapsed disc in his spine.

The injury will rule him out of playing any part in next Saturday's first round qualifier tie between Offaly and Down. The long-term consequences of the injury in terms of McComiskey's playing career are still unknown.

The initial treatment package for the injury will inevitably include a significant rest period before the prospect of any return to competitive sport becomes a reality. At this stage the chances of McComiskey being able to play meaningful football this season are bleak.

It also seems certain to put on hold the interest that has been expressed by a number of Australian Rules clubs in securing the services of McComiskey on a professional contract basis. His performances with Down and with Queen's University had been monitored over the past 12 months. It sparked a feeding frenzy from AFL scouts determined to secure McComiskey's signature.

Brisbane Lions have already held preliminary informal discussions with the player with a view to him travelling out to Australia to see what the club had to offer in terms of a full-time football career.

And former hawthorne AFL player Rickey Nixon, who is now regarded as one of the leading agents in Aussie Rules Football, and who has links with a network of top Rules clubs, has earmarked McComiskey as a leading candidate capable of transferring to the professional sphere.

Last month Nixon contacted the Dundrum clubman to ask if McComiskey would take part in a series of trial matches for potential AFL recruits to be held after the completion of the All Ireland championships. The player has consistently said that any decision on his future would have to wait until he completes his final year accountancy exams.

From a Down Gaelic football perspective McComiskey is viewed as an integral component in Ross Carr's squad. He came to national prominence when he won an All Ireland minor title with Down three seasons ago. His man of the match performance, which included a personal tally of 1-3 confirmed the astonishing potential he first displayed after breaking into senior club football at just 14.

That progress has been maintained as a member of the Queen's Sigerson Cup squad and when he joined Down's senior setup last season. His temperament under pressure was underlined when he converted the injury time leveller point against Tyrone in the Ulster championship epic last month.

Confirmation of the spinal complaint was given to the Down player after he had his MRI scan at a private Belfast clinic on Thursday afternoon. Further tests will be carried out on the player before a final decision is taken on what course of remedial action is to be followed.

The news will come as a devastating blow to Down's hopes of progressing in the All Ireland championship via the qualifiers. McComiskey's expected unavailability, coupled with the season-long loss of Liam Doyle with cruciate ligament damage will place further restrictions on Ross Carr's already tightly stretched options.

The plans for a new look front line attack formation Down had hoped to build between McComiskey and Benny Coulter are now in jeopardy. The chemistry between Coulter and the 20-year-old was one that many in Ulster believed held the key to reviving Down's fortunes.

It is understood that the spinal injury has been troubling the player for a number of months. Initially the Down medical team had hoped that physiotherapy might be sufficient to alleviate what was initially thought to be a muscle problem.
The use of McComiskey by the Down management as a second half impact substitute was also part of a conscious decision to protect the player as much as possible.

The sparing usage of the corner forward by Down had provoked criticism from sections of the media and from supporters. The consensus of opinion was that such a gifted individual was being wasted sitting on the bench.

It now appears that the limited involvement of McComiskey was more linked to protecting him from worsening the injury rather than any tactical motives.

In recent weeks the injury situation has become markedly worse. It was clear even in club matches and training sessions that the problem was significantly restricting McComiskey's acceleration and mobility. The increasing pain he was suffering in his lower back and in the nerves of his right leg triggered his inevitable MRI move last Thursday.

The devastating implications of the scan represent an unwanted chapter in Paul McComiskey's career.

However, those that know him are convinced it won't be the final chapter.

downgirl

Awful news about Paul, I really feel for him as a player since it is obvious just how talented he is.  Hopefully he can play again next year. 

Red Army

The GAA have excelled again with some bright spark having the Offaly hurlers playing in Thurles and finishing a half hour before the footballers in Tullamore.
Surely Dual supporters are livid at this. Id say a very poor turnout is expected in Tullamore on saturday evening.
Which will be good for Down as home advantage will be barely non existent.
Another great decision by the GAA. do they emply the old FAI muppets

Our Nail Loney

Think the earlier game might be on the tv but this probably won't be any consolation to those who attend most matches.

Ah well go to the football, everyone knows its better!

western exile

Also....
CHRISTY RING CUP QUARTER-FINALS -
Down v Derry, Newry, 3pm

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: downgirl on July 15, 2008, 06:11:19 AM
Awful news about Paul, I really feel for him as a player since it is obvious just how talented he is.  Hopefully he can play again next year. 
He should be ok after an operation to probably remove the collapsed disc and put on a proper rehabilitation program of weights etc but he wont play any competitive football for at least 3 - 4 months after an operation.  I had the same problem in 2001, had the disc removed, 2 vertabrae fused with a chip of bone from my hip and I was back playing senior club 4 months later.  The key to success is the correct rehabilitation program.  I wish him well, he sounds like an exciting prospect for Down football.

Down Gael

Quote from: western exile on July 15, 2008, 11:13:00 AM

Also....
CHRISTY RING CUP QUARTER-FINALS -
Down v Derry, Newry, 3pm

And the Nicky Rackard game, South Down v Louth 1pm. I wouldnt mind going to this game, but we already have a hotel booked in Tullamore, well done the GAA.  NOT.

D4S

Quote from: mournerambler on July 12, 2008, 08:33:59 PM
Quote from: D4S on July 12, 2008, 06:52:18 PM
Is that not a one point win for Down then D4S?

Apologies only back on after a busy long weekend, typo error the result must have been 3-11 to 1-17, irish news made similar mistake 2day, said it was a draw down 3-11 monaghan 0-17!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

Niall Quinn

Offaly Down will describe my mood if we fail to win this one - Down by 5.
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Niall Quinn on July 15, 2008, 06:26:50 PM
Offaly Down will describe my mood if we fail to win this one - Down by 5.

Ba doom tsssh!