Offaly v Down 19/20 July

Started by Down Gael, June 29, 2008, 09:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on July 06, 2008, 04:42:03 PM
Liam didnt captain Colmans to Hogan cup sucess, Declan Morgan (son of Ray) was the captain on that team which incidentally contained alot of leaders all over the field.

You tell him brick! The hogan final was some craic that year!

Brick Tamlin

the mc crory and hogan campaign was some craic that year, il never forget the hammering the team gave maghera in the ulster decider. Interesting that not alot of the guys went on to represent either down or armagh in years to come.

corn02

Quote from: Mourne Rover on July 05, 2008, 12:56:39 AM

In many ways, I would prefer to accept that Down lost the match but stand by the way we play the game. 

Typical loser talk.

Brick Tamlin

yet again an apple muncher breaks free and wanders onto the wrong thread....keep celebrating the defeat of Down if it makes you feel better, personally i cant see what glory can be taken from beating a mediocre division 3 side in an ulster semi final but hey as i said if it gives you great satisfaction then gloat away to your heart's content, but why not atick to the proper thread for it. Idiot.

corn02

So the fact that it was the Down man who mentioned it makes it ok but if i comment It is me posting in the wrong thread. The Down fans on this board have themselves up bigtime since Sunday, yourself included. I think youn really have the IQ of Brick Tamlin.

Mourne Rover

Corn02, I simply think that the best team won in Clones but I do not particularly like the way Armagh played on the day. I don't understand why you should be referring to `loser talk' a full week later, but I suspect that Armagh have the ability to to vary their approach as the summer progresses. They will certainly have to increase their scoring rate when they face more experienced sides than Down.

We are not really capable of using a blanket defence, as we do not have the players to work that kind of system properly. A couple of wins in the qualifiers would bring us on a long way, but our record in the back door, just like the Ulster championship, is not good. Finding a left-sided free-taker (Colgan ?) would be a big help in Tullamore.

corn02

No you were saying you would rather lose than play like Arnagh did. To be honest there is  way in hell i could believe that and deep down you don't either.

You are right regarding scoring rate - Spillane revealed yesterday that our scoring average since 02 is 12 points. Shocking.

Any team can work the blanket defence if they have the attitude and fitness. Down lost against us because they simply made poor choices throughout the match. Murphy and Carr are well capable of getting up and down the field and Hughes is as well. Start Carr at 15 and drop him back to between half back and midfield and you will see an improvement.

western exile

Quote from: corn02 on July 07, 2008, 10:14:07 AM
No you were saying you would rather lose than play like Arnagh did. To be honest there is  way in hell i could believe that and deep down you don't either.

You are right regarding scoring rate - Spillane revealed yesterday that our scoring average since 02 is 12 points. Shocking.

Any team can work the blanket defence if they have the attitude and fitness. Down lost against us because they simply made poor choices throughout the match. Murphy and Carr are well capable of getting up and down the field and Hughes is as well. Start Carr at 15 and drop him back to between half back and midfield and you will see an improvement.
Janey Mack, you are picking the Down team for us now  ;D ;D

The Armagh posters are so defensive (excuse the pun)   ;)   They are not satisfied with their team winning, they must follow their victims around like stalkers to pounce anytime their beloved Armagh team is ever mentioned. I wonder what subconsious guilt they suffer from. ???   Of course, on this board they are welcome to contribute to any thread if they have a genuine contribution to make the subject matter of the thread.  So, to all the Armagh gatecrashers in this thread, you are welcome to post about Offaly v. Down if you are able. If not, go annoy another thread.  8)

western exile

I read in a newspaper that Niall McNamee was the highest scorer in the league this year.  Does anyone know if that was in the whole NFL, or just in Div 4?
Also, what was his final tally?

AZOffaly

Probably in the whole league, because Division 4 would have included feeding frenzies against London, Kilkenny and Wicklow.

1-6 v London
1-6 v Carlow
0-8 v Tipperary
0-5 v Antrim
0-10 v Wicklow
0-4 v Waterford
2-7 v Kilkenny
0-3 v Clare

0-7 v Tipperary (Final)

Total of 4-46

western exile

Thanks AZ

That would seem to indicate that
1. He is the free taker, or
2. Offaly relay on one source for scores, or
3. Div 4 oppositon are easy to get a big tally

Would any one (or all 3)  of the above be true to say?

AZOffaly

1) He is the free-taker, despite it being patently obvious that he is not A free taker. (if you know what I mean). Against Westmeath he missed a couple of easy frees, and was taken off them, which is about 3 years too late. He is not a free taker, and doesn't need that responsibility, which hurts his confidence when he misses them. He may well be back 'on frees' against Down.

2) Sort of. He is certainly the main threat, but on occasion the likes of Deehan or Kellaghan can chip in with goals or points, but it's usually against the weaker teams. He is certainly the danger man.

3) Division 4 oppositions, some of them, are easy to run up scores against.

All three basically. He is a good player though, despite those extenuating factors. He can win his own ball, and he can score. He is a confidence player, and if he wins the first ball or two, and chips a score, he could have a great day. If he kicks a few bad wides, a lá Westmeath, he'll be trying too hard to kick from crazy places until he gets himself back on track. He very seldom 'hides' which is a credit to him, but you can sometimes see the confidence draining out of him, especially if he misses frees.

stiffler

Many Down men heading down?

Any reccommend a good spot for a post game pint?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Down Gael

One of the hotels is giving discounted rooms to anyone staying over after the football. Dont remember the name, but herself booked it last week, so there should be a few there after the game. Should be a decent Down support for the game, we have had a good enough support all year, with the exception of Leitrim and Wexford, both away league games.

mournerambler

Got a deal for Friday & Saturday night with Sunday night free in The Bridge House Hotel, think it's in the centre of Tullamore, looking forward to it i must say & hopefully we come away with a result.