Your Favourite Irish songs

Started by The Real Laoislad, June 18, 2008, 05:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Because folk music floats everyones boat of course ::)

Billys Boots

QuoteMicrodisney my arse.

Folk music my arse.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

peterquaife

Quote from: Feckitt on July 08, 2008, 01:15:43 PM
Quote from: peterquaife on June 20, 2008, 01:49:19 PM
tough one

1. how can I exist - frank & walters
2. michael - frank & walters
3. hatch 77 - giveamanakick
4. bone deep - the walls
5. sometimes - my bloody valentine
6. gone to sea - new amusement
7. rainy night in soho - the pogues
8. stop it you're killing me - therapy?
9. celebrate - an emotional fish
10. you've got my number - undertones

I think that Dave Fanning has a lot to answer for when you see some of the shite that is passing for the greatest irish songs of all time.  Microdisney my arse.
I was listening to the Dubliners this morning belting out The Hot Asphalt, and I despair at the lack of radio and tv coverage given to good folk music.

The Hot Asphalt, classic

Why dont you lay down your bails and tune into the wireless, broaden your horizon...contempory isnt a rash

PQ

Treasurer

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 19, 2008, 12:04:31 PM
I remember LABF alright, and saw them several times, but never really rated them.  They had a good song that went 'You can love a woman, but you can't be friends ...'.  I don't remember the Ann Lovett song though.

Had forgotten LABF, loved them at the time.

You Can Love A Woman http://video.aol.com/video-detail/light-a-big-fire-2-moons/257803620

Two moons http://video.aol.com/video-detail/light-a-big-fire-2-moons/257803620

balladmaker

QuoteI was listening to the Dubliners this morning belting out The Hot Asphalt, and I despair at the lack of radio and tv coverage given to good folk music.

Would have to agree with the above statement.  I can testify that folk music continues to be popular throughout Ireland, although the mainstream media and those trying to be cool or trendy would have you believe otherwise.  Just look at the likes of The Dubliners, The Wolfe Tones, Christy Moore...they still continue to pack out venues, with the former two on the road for 45 years plus.  I can't imagine many of the current froth of fashion in the charts at present being around in 5 years never mind 45!

But the begrudgers would have you believe otherwise.....

nic

Trip to Tipp
-More Power to Your Elbow
(not sure if many ppl know it)

qub la la la

westlife - home, us against the world, something right, i'm all ready there, uptown girl

boyzone - words, no matter what, life is a rollercoaster, picture of you

joe dolan - good lookin woman

Doogie Browser

Quote from: nic on July 08, 2008, 10:13:46 PM

Trip to Tipp

'Mothers grab your daughters, please put padlocks on their drawers'

Mayo4Sam

Peterquaife, u have two frank & walters songs and no mention of their best, colours, HQ song
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

stephenite

Quote from: balladmaker on July 08, 2008, 07:31:37 PM
QuoteI was listening to the Dubliners this morning belting out The Hot Asphalt, and I despair at the lack of radio and tv coverage given to good folk music.

Would have to agree with the above statement.  I can testify that folk music continues to be popular throughout Ireland, although the mainstream media and those trying to be cool or trendy would have you believe otherwise.  Just look at the likes of The Dubliners, The Wolfe Tones, Christy Moore...they still continue to pack out venues, with the former two on the road for 45 years plus.  I can't imagine many of the current froth of fashion in the charts at present being around in 5 years never mind 45!

But the begrudgers would have you believe otherwise.....

I am certainly not begruding folk music or it's followers anything, merely pointing out that this thread is all about poeples opinions, and to call other peoples opinions or music tastes shite is ridiculous

Feckitt

Ok, Maybe I shouldn't be calling his list shite, because to be totally honest I don't even know what Microdisney is!  But I have seen several of these bands on lists by Hot Press, Dave Fanning and other journalists greatest ever lists. 

But I have never heard any real people talk about or listen to Microdisney, The Blades, Killergoat,The Outpatients, Kerbdog, Junster.  Some of them might be ok, but I doubt it.
I don't just like folk music, but I like music to have a pair of balls, and I hate people putting down Irish music.  Some people would be afraid to listen to Christy Moore because it is not trendy, and god forbid he might sing a rebel song!  Oh I better listen to 'New amusement' or some other shite because Dave Fanning says that is cool.
Ye can take bands like that and shove them up yer arse for that is all they are worth. 

stephenite

And there you go again - disparaging other peoples musical taste on the basis that it doesn't agree with your own, and worse still you admit that you've never ever heard any of the songs. How's the air up there?

Just because you don't take the time to listen to music as espoused by people such as Dave Fanning or other music journalists, or even go to the gigs does not mean that they are not real bands that are listened to by real people, indeed any sort of play on commercial radios or articles in contemporary music magazines would indicate that real people are buying their music and going to see their gigs, or do you think only carboard cut outs attend Whelan's to see modern Irish music? ::)

Also Irish music cannot be limited to do or defined by traditional, folk, or any other style of music, that just f**king stupid. U2 would be as representative of Irish music as Microsdisney or Christy Moore or the Dubliners. This notion you have that Irish people have to get the OK from people like Dave Fanning before 'liking' someone is as offensive to Irish music and indeed the populace in general as it infers an inability to think for themselves and decide what they like to listen to.

Actually - I don't know why I'm bothering, you're either on the wind up or exceptionally arrogant.

Fishbat

Quote from: Doogie Browser on July 08, 2008, 10:50:58 PM
Quote from: nic on July 08, 2008, 10:13:46 PM

Trip to Tipp

'Mothers grab your daughters, please put padlocks on their drawers'

a very apt warning to the mothers in Tipp, considering the clientele mentioned in that song!

Billys Boots

QuoteBut I have never heard any real people talk about or listen to Microdisney, The Blades, Killergoat,The Outpatients, Kerbdog, Junster.  Some of them might be ok, but I doubt it.

Why do you doubt it, if you say you don't know the bands.  And what the f**k are 'real people'?  Are you real?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Shamrock Shore