Who is the best sportsperson of all time?

Started by screenexile, June 17, 2008, 11:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Zapatista

Quote from: corn02 on June 18, 2008, 12:54:50 PM
Tiger, there shouldn't even be an argument.

To Tyrone people actually think Canavan was the best footballer of all time, personally I would have Fitzgerald before him.

I think Tyrone folk are a taking into consideration Canavans work off the field as well, with him creating the universe and all that.

full back

Quote from: Zapatista on June 18, 2008, 01:29:40 PM
Quote from: corn02 on June 18, 2008, 12:54:50 PM
Tiger, there shouldn't even be an argument.

To Tyrone people actually think Canavan was the best footballer of all time, personally I would have Fitzgerald before him.

I think Tyrone folk are a taking into consideration Canavans work off the field as well, with him creating the universe and all that.

Sure he can walk on water as well......

Minder

Quote from: corn02 on June 18, 2008, 01:27:38 PM
Do you get tackled in basketball?

Well someone is trying to dispossess you........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Canalman

Teeling Gael

Actually serious here in saying that Donald Bradman gets my vote.Of all records in sport , think his is the most impressive and no one has ever got even close to it and indeed I think will struggle to get close to it in the future.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Uladh on June 18, 2008, 11:31:55 AM
football - Mossy Fitz
Hurler - Ciaran Carey
Soccer - Maradonna
Golf - Tiger Woods
Snooker - O'Sullivan
Cricket (Bat) - Tendalkar
Cricket (Ball) - Fatboy shane warne - truely unbelievable talent
Rugby Union - Steven Larkham / Richard Hill
Boxing - Lewis / Tyson at his peak / Jones at his peak / Mayweather
Basketball - Jordan
Tennis (Male) - Federer
Formula 1 - Senna - the man could get speed out of a go kart
Darts - Taylor
Horse racing - McCoy
can't include athletics cos i don't know for sure who was clean

Go with Jesse Owens then.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Doogie Browser

When I was growing up it was Carl Lewis, then when you get a bit older and cynical you realise there has to be some truth to the stories.

Woods has to be up there with the greatest, but for me the charisma of Ali puts him streets ahead.

heganboy

glad to hear that it wasn't just me that would prefer M Fitz over PTG in terms of footballing ability
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Fishbat

Ah Christ.....Here we go again - the Tiger/Jordan myth

Tiger Woods???  what about Jack Nicklaus? 18 titles with shite clubs and inferior greens - tiger woods me hole - he's a flukebag - the Man Utd of Golf

Jordan? There is no way that a basketballer can be classed as the greatest sportsperson of all time - forget it - I've played basketball, its not that difficult - actually quit cos all ye have to be good at is jumping - 3 pointers are easier than ye think

Federer? more jumping on the bandwagon - he's not fit to tie a bun in Borgs hair - lets see him play on a shite court with a wooden racket

Precision ye's want?  hows this for precision - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8cD74t4GQU
Without doubt a much tougher quest than Woods fluking a hole in one - yer man choked plain and simple

Cycling - lance armstrong?   anyone remember Pedro Delgado?  probably on drugs too though

Snooker - Stephen Hendry - end off story

Darts - i suppose Phil Taylor, but prefer Barney rubble

Ali?  a major figure in sports no doubt, an entertainer - but i would not class him the greatest boxer never mind sportsperson - boxing is all about preferences, is he any better a boxer than the likes of Dempsey etc before the TV era who knocked lumps out of each other for hours - Henry Cooper beat him and it took his corner to bluff their way out of it, A fat Foreman punched himself out, Ken Norton cleaned his clock....Smokin Joe?

Greatest boxers are in the 12 stone region - hard to see past Leonard/Hagler for me - Mayweather does not have the rivalry of the 80's men.

Is Michael Johnson a druggie?  the complete sprinter

Diego in soccer - almost Canavanesque

Steven Redgrave? more hype - what about the lads that crossed the tasman in a kayak - now thats a test of endurance, or thon hen that sailed around the globe on her own

Is longevity a factor? what about Mark Todd coming back for yet another Olympic games -  a tough assignment as there is an animal involved

What about the mind boggling precision and power involved with gymnastics? - much tougher than golf or basketball

In short there is no single greatest sportsperson - there is too much scope to label one person and definitely not the TV friendly pub chat favourite Tiger Woods.

..... but there is one man who we can say would come closest to covering all the corners, power, precision, athleticism etc..

Daley "The 'Tache" Thompson

laceer

Quote from: Fishbat on June 18, 2008, 11:38:45 PM

Jordan? There is no way that a basketballer can be classed as the greatest sportsperson of all time - forget it - I've played basketball, its not that difficult - actually quit cos all ye have to be good at is jumping - 3 pointers are easier than ye think

Quote from: Minder on June 18, 2008, 01:43:47 PM
Quote from: corn02 on June 18, 2008, 01:27:38 PM
Do you get tackled in basketball?

Well someone is trying to dispossess you........

Spoken like a true GAH man there   ;D

Basketball's actually a lot more physical than is made out - barring hitting a shoulder (how many times do you see this in gaelic now?) the tackling is similar enough to gaelic.When the ball comes off the backboard and 6 men are jumping for it there's plenty of contact - i used to love the physical side of the game.

1 - Jordan
2 - Woods (eventually 1)
3 - Hendry (didn't like him but was unstopable at a time)

Zapatista

5 Sams

Quote from: heganboy on June 18, 2008, 10:02:31 PM
glad to hear that it wasn't just me that would prefer M Fitz over PTG in terms of footballing ability

Agree 100%....Canavan wouldnt have been capable of some of the stuff Fitz did......legend
The Aristocrat Years

thejuice

To be honest i dont know much about sports other than GAA, Rugby and American Football but Ill throw in my 2cents for gridiron

I couldnt narrow it down to one player.

Best QB, its a toss up between Dan Marino or Joe Montana, with Peyton Manning and Tom Brady fighting for 3rd place.

Best RB Barry Sanders with Walter Payton a close 2nd, 3rd LaDainian Tomilnson

Best WR, Jerry Rice, 2nd Lynn Swann,

Best DL Laurence Taylor,

Best LB Ray Lewis

Best DB Champ Baily

Cant pick a best OL, which is a pity but its so hard to pick one, they're so anonymous

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

magpie seanie

I couldn't see how someone who had basically cheated death in recovering from cancer against the odds would pump themselves full of chemicals just to win some bike races. I tend to believe Armstrong's version of events in the absence of any proof to the contrary.

As for David Walsh - what did he win?