Áth Cliath vs Iarmhí

Started by AN other, June 11, 2008, 12:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Far from fine art indeed  :D Seems very focussed on the match, back in the day he just used to turn up and play, hell of a basketball player too...

According to the metro, Flan has the no. 28 shirt. That's another bugbear of mine with the GAA, u never bloody know who's on the bench till u get the programme. That website of theirs is a joke...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: heffo on June 27, 2008, 12:12:34 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on June 27, 2008, 11:59:23 AM
his holiness nb - Why do you say you obviously over estimated Louth then? Could it not possibly be that we are maybe better than you thought not that they were far worse?

AN Other - Yes Westemeath will be trying to outscore us but by trying to keep the scoring to a minimum rather than attacking us fully

Ah in fairness DFS, Louth were very very poor against us.

If we play against Westmeath like we played in the first half against Louth, and W/Meath play to their potential, there will be a few red-faced Dubs here Monday morning (me included!)

Louth were poor I think primarily because we made them poor.......If W/Meath play like they did against Offaly/Longford then we will win comfortably.....

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on June 27, 2008, 04:37:53 PM
his holiness nb - Why do you say you obviously over estimated Louth then? Could it not possibly be that we are maybe better than you thought not that they were far worse?

AN Other - Yes Westemeath will be trying to outscore us but by trying to keep the scoring to a minimum rather than attacking us fully

If we play against Westmeath like we played in the first half against Louth, and W/Meath play to their potential, there will be a few red-faced Dubs here Monday morning (me included!)

Louth were poor I think primarily because we made them poor.......If W/Meath play like they did against Offaly/Longford then we will win comfortably.....

You were bound to get something right eventually...  :D
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

heffo

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on June 27, 2008, 04:37:53 PM

I don't agree DFS - Louth threw in the towel and the second half was shooting fish in a barrel. Westmeath backs won't be anywhere near as generous on Sunday. I still think we'll win it in the last quarter though.

Iarmhí Abú

I hear the bookies have the Dubs at 2-9 and 1-5 with WH 9-2.  These are overwhelming odds.  A lot depends on how Donal and Duffy fare until Flan arrives.  We need to keep a close eye on Ryan as he runs out wide for Cluxton's pinpoint kickouts. We were cleaned out in midfield two years ago and as a result got a spanking.  Breaking ball will be crucial.  Denis also needs to keep a cool head when his inevitable goal chance arrives. If he tries to blast Cluxton into the net we'll have no joy. Place it Denis!!  I'm hoping the half backs will be as tight as ever.  Jayo cannot be allowed any space to pull the strings either. It's vital not to let the Dubs get daylight as they drive on with the crowd behind them.  The longer we keep the crowd edgy the better.  Most of the Dub fans that I meet are very confident.  Some have made comments to the tune that if they cannot overcome us without too much fuss they have no business meeting the likes of Kerry.  That may well be true but I'm hoping that there will be mass anxiety with ten minutes to go.

DUBSFORSAM1

To be honest while expecting Dublin to win I am hoping for a really tough match, ideally with Westmeath getting a 4/5 point lead and Dublin having to fight back....

I want to see the Dublin fullback line and Cullen/Fennell have good games to give confidence going forward.....I also want to see Vaughan/Connolly/Whelan/Griffen come on and prove themselves as serious contenders for starting positions....

heffo

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on June 28, 2008, 05:13:40 AM
To be honest while expecting Dublin to win I am hoping for a really tough match, ideally with Westmeath getting a 4/5 point lead and Dublin having to fight back....

I want to see the Dublin fullback line and Cullen/Fennell have good games to give confidence going forward.....I also want to see Vaughan/Connolly/Whelan/Griffen come on and prove themselves as serious contenders for starting positions....

That would be ideal!

AZOffaly

Be careful what ye wish for lads. I know ye are obviously adding 'and Dublin fight back to win', but if Westmeath get 4-5 points up on ye at any sort of middling-late stage of the game, Dublin will be in trouble. Westmeath won't give up scores handy if they get in that sort of position. Dublin's best hope of getting a good score is to start well and be 5 or 6 points up coming up to or just after half time. Westmeath will have to chase the game a bit then, and they might open up a small bit.

I wouldn't be relying on reeling them in if they have a decent lead though. That's exactly what they are set up for.

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteI hear the bookies have the Dubs at 2-9 and 1-5 with WH 9-2.  These are overwhelming odds. 

Seen those odds last night on that TV3 show and thought they were absolutely crazy. I'd tip Dublin to win but to quote a team at 1/5 when they were beaten by the opposition in a reasonably big game a couple of months ago is crazy. Westmeath -5 at 10/11 (I think) seems like great value and worth a punt.

Our experience against Westmeath was that there are a very difficult team to play against, although our style probably suited their tactics on the day. As AZ pointed out, if Westmeath get ahead by a few points they'll make it very difficult for Dublin.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

DUBSFORSAM1

Tacadoir - The Dublin team a couple of months ago was missing McConnell, Shocko, Griffen, Whelan, Fennell, Brogan, Brogan, Quinn, Flynn, Connolly etc and were still only 2 points down with 2 mins to go....

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

Fear ón Srath Bán

Start delayed by the customary 15 minutes, due to feverish hordes of drunken Dubs  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Maguire01

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 29, 2008, 02:09:40 PM
Start delayed by the customary 15 minutes, due to feverish hordes of drunken Dubs  ;)
The sooner the GAA draw a line under this, the better.  All it will take is for the Dubs to miss half a match. They'll be on time the next day.

joemamas

why only one minute of injury time. I would have thought closed to five with Ryan, Dolan, westmeath corner forward. only half time not a big deal, however

in my mind another decision that should not be ref's.

Mike Finnerty (commentator) has mention o shaughnessey more than once . Have Dublin bought on two forwards.

Decent game.

Hardy

Dublin can thank the ref for most of their first half scores - a series of ridiculously soft close-in frees. It's outrageous that most referees at this level don't know the rules. This is at least the third game when players have been penalised for handling on the ground because refs don't know you're allowed to play the ball away with your hand when you fall or are knocked down in possession. Sometimes amateurism has its drawbacks. Is there any professional sport where the top referees don't know the rules? Then he announces two minutes extra and plays 1:14.

Level at half time. "It's far from over", says Joe. ::)

Entertaining game, though.