Áth Cliath vs Iarmhí

Started by AN other, June 11, 2008, 12:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AN other

Quote from: thejuice on June 27, 2008, 11:02:51 AM
Quote from: AN other on June 27, 2008, 10:11:05 AM
According to Wikipedia the dimensions for Croker are 114.5m x 88m.

is it just me or is it a f**king joke that not all senior GAA pitches are the same size. Surely there should be a specific regulation size for pitches. and not a range of 130-145 metres and 80-90 metres.

slip of the finger there, should be 144.5m x 88m....

Is there any field sport that doesn't have varying pitch sizes? I'm pretty sure soccer pitch sizes vary anyway.

AZOffaly

Rugby and American Football are two with very set dimensions, I think, although even at that the 'in goal' area for Rugby can vary within certain limits. However the actual 'in bounds' area is set I think, but I suppose it has to be for fairness, as one of the skills of rugby is kicking into touch, so you'd like to practice and play on the same size pitches all the time.

AZOffaly

Actually, just checked there, and it appears that even rugby is slightly flexible. The 10 metre line must, obviously, be 10 metres from the halfway line, the 22 must be 22 out from the goal line, but the overall length is slightly flexible in that it must 'not exceed' 100 metres. The in goal is then from 10 to 22 metres in depth.

As regards Width, the only stipulation is 'Not more than 70 metres'.

American Football is the only one I can think of so. And yardage means everything in that game. I think it's 100 yards long, 50 yards wide and Endzones of 10 yards deep as well.

heffo

Quote from: AN other on June 27, 2008, 11:12:02 AM
Quote from: thejuice on June 27, 2008, 11:02:51 AM
Quote from: AN other on June 27, 2008, 10:11:05 AM
According to Wikipedia the dimensions for Croker are 114.5m x 88m.

is it just me or is it a f**king joke that not all senior GAA pitches are the same size. Surely there should be a specific regulation size for pitches. and not a range of 130-145 metres and 80-90 metres.

slip of the finger there, should be 144.5m x 88m....

Is there any field sport that doesn't have varying pitch sizes? I'm pretty sure soccer pitch sizes vary anyway.

Not sure about other sports, but soccer definitly has varying pitch sizes - the Old Dell, Goodison & Highbury are three that spring to mind as being very narrow. If I remember correctly, Everton actually had their pitch narrowed before a game against Man U a few years ago as they didn't play with wingers and thought a narrower pitch would give them an advantage..

AZOffaly

Soccer pitches definitely do. One of the perceived benefits of Arsenal moving to the Emirates was the bigger pitch, which suits their passing game more than the narrow and cramped confines of Highbury. A soccer pitch just has to fall within legal limits in both width and length.

AN other

O'Flaherta should send a posse up on Saturday night under nightfall to mark the pitch out in Croker and move the goal posts!

AZOffaly

Something like the 'hurling cubed' cage would be ideal for ye :D

Croí na hÉireann

Gary Connaughton,

Francis Boyle, Kieran Gavin, John Keane
  Michael Ennis, Derek Heavin, Damien Healy

Donal O'Donoghue, David Duffy

Fergal Wilson, John Smyth, Doran Harte
Dessie Dolan, Denis Glennon, Dermot Bannon

Kinda surprised at Bannon coming in for Budda. Budda always plays better after a kick up the arse and after his performance in the Offaly game he should've been getting at least one at every training session. Maybe he'll be motivated coming in off the bench. Flan is some super sub to have as well, should negate any Whelo impact factor and can even see him being sent inside if O'Donoghue and Duffy are holding the middle.

At the back the three to watch out for IMO are the two Brogans and Jayo. Alan scored 1-7 against Louth, enough said, Bernard will be coming from deep, twisting and turning, well able to score from the 40 and Jayo is the conductor. If we can keep these 3 quiet we have a right chance. Saw Healy on tv3 last night. He said that "We only played for 10 mins against Offaly and 20 against Longford and that we have it all to do". He knows the magnitude of the situation of the situation facing us and I hope the rest of the panel have the same steely determination...

An Iarmhí Abú
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

his holiness nb

Quote from: INDIANA on June 27, 2008, 10:53:37 AM
but i can't get over fans talking about all-irelands at this stage, thats the mistake derry made and look where they are now.

Indiana, all I will say is that you must be quite young. Every single year theres Dublin fans talking about all Irelands at this stage of the year, thats Dublin for you.

You shouldnt be worried about what fans or the media are saying, cocky fans wont make the team lose. The main thing is that the team concentrates on this match and this match only.

Then if we beat Westmeath by a large margin you can get back to saying how Wexford worry you and how they will never have a better chance to beat Dublin  ;)

I was genuinely worried before the Louth game, I obviously overestimated them. Westmeath are a better team that Louth, but having seen Pillars team selection I am confident of a win by 5-7 pts. I could of course be wrong as I was with my prediction of a tight game last time round.

Its the first time in a long time I have seen the team selection and thought "well done Pillar".
Ask me holy bollix

DUBSFORSAM1

his holiness nb - Why do you say you obviously over estimated Louth then? Could it not possibly be that we are maybe better than you thought not that they were far worse?

AN Other - Yes Westemeath will be trying to outscore us but by trying to keep the scoring to a minimum rather than attacking us fully

INDIANA

wexford don't worry me holiness if we progress they really don't. their backs will never hold our forwards, regardless of how much damage their forwards do on ours dublin would score more. but that's irrelevent at this stage, the only game is sunday.
and i wish i was young holiness, i wish i was.

heffo

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on June 27, 2008, 11:59:23 AM
his holiness nb - Why do you say you obviously over estimated Louth then? Could it not possibly be that we are maybe better than you thought not that they were far worse?

AN Other - Yes Westemeath will be trying to outscore us but by trying to keep the scoring to a minimum rather than attacking us fully

Ah in fairness DFS, Louth were very very poor against us.

If we play against Westmeath like we played in the first half against Louth, and W/Meath play to their potential, there will be a few red-faced Dubs here Monday morning (me included!)

Croí na hÉireann

You can see Healys interview here

http://gaa.tv3.ie/video.php

What the f**k are they talking about in that painting???  :D
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

That's class with Healy :D Prententious fecker :D It's far from fine art he was raised. although to be fair he's prbably trying to figure out if the painting is hung the right way around :D