Áth Cliath vs Iarmhí

Started by AN other, June 11, 2008, 12:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: dublinfella on June 30, 2008, 12:27:35 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on June 30, 2008, 10:00:45 AM
. If Dublin had John Keane and Gavin , we'd have a great a chance.

If Dublin had them Pillar would either drop them or play them out of position.

It seems that they have spent far too much time doing fitness and conditioning and not enough time training with the ball. I don't mind playing badly and winnig, but there were too many basic and fundamental errors in the Dublin play. Also a number of players are there on reputation, not form. Guys like Collie Moran and Jayo.

Very subdued atmosphere as well.

Are you having a laugh about Jayo? There on reputation? Have you been watching Dublin's game since January?

He was poor enough yesterday, but to suggest that he hasn't earned his place is a joke..

Jinxy

Take Jayo out of that team and Dublin are banjoed.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

thejuice

According to the Irish Times, Westmeath were using a Space Optimising System, ooooooooooohh! very high tech indeed   :P
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Canalman

Imo a very good result for us.

Imagine such a result against Meath,Armagh,Monaghan,........teams recently beaten by Westmeath........ there would be delight amongst us. Semi Finals are there to be won ......period.

Very important to win to avoid the early pitfalls of the qua;ifiers.

A tight match against a hugely underrated (outside Leinster anyway) team with everyone writing us off is imo a good result for Dublin.

Bigger tests lie ahead.

Have a gut feeling that if we win Leinster that it will be all Ulster ahead of us .....Fermanagh, Armagh or Derry provided of course that we are good enough to win the games ahead of us.   Just a hunch.

Main Street

Quote from: heffo on June 30, 2008, 09:51:58 AM
Why did Glennon pop the last free over the bar? I would've thought Flanagan or someone would've had a pop at goal given the time...
I was dumbfounded by that decision.

Good game for Dublin to have under their belt, showed some grit in the last 15 mins.
I can understand Westmeath fans being totally deflated by almost nonchalantly throwing away the chances for points.

Davitt Man

Quote from: Jinxy on June 30, 2008, 01:01:35 PM
Take Jayo out of that team and Dublin are banjoed.

I thought Jayo did ok yesterday, he was one of dublins better players IMO. You have to be at the game to appriecate what he does, i watched him make his runs when dublin gathered the ball in their own half, the movment off the ball from Jayo was unreal, he had the westmeath no.6 all over the place. The hand pass to barry cahill was top class, the vision and execution was brilliant. I cant understand why he gets so much stick.

Iarmhí Abú

I've always been amazed at the polarity of opinion over Jayo.  I think he's a vital part of the Dublin forward unit and they invaribly play poorer if he's absent.  He's very unselfish and extremely intelligent, both on and off the ball.  He has come in and out of fashion but if Dublin are to achieve anything close to their stated aims then Jayo will be an integral part of it.

Hardy

Quote from: thejuice on June 30, 2008, 01:06:45 PM
According to the Irish Times, Westmeath were using a Space Optimising System

It's called Denis Glennon.

Sherlock is twice the player he was when he was younger.

Speaking of Denis Glennon and unfathomable decisions - why was he put out around midfield for most of the second half when for the first half he was threatening to dismantle the Dublin defence single-handedly by winning everything that came in and using it excellently? Did some form of madness afflict the Westmeath sideline or was Denis just doing his own thing (which, if allowed, is also a failure of management)?

INDIANA

because henry did a good job on him in the 2nd half, and they couldn't get any ball into him. they should have introduced david glennon earlier to give them some pace.

Davitt Man

Quote from: INDIANA on June 30, 2008, 03:25:26 PM
because henry did a good job on him in the 2nd half, and they couldn't get any ball into him. they should have introduced david glennon earlier to give them some pace.

glennon seemed to swap with dessie i reckon because dessie was running out of steam, he was very deep in the 1st half and at the start of the 2nd half, he picked up alot of breaks around the middle and was covering back also this took it out of him and so he swapped with glennon.

Hardy

To me it looked as if Glennon moved out to midfield very early in the second half - way too early for a conclusion as to how Henry was doing on him and way too early to end what had been working so well until then.

INDIANA

well he spent a sizeable amt of the second half in the full forward line hardy you  could see that from the Hill, what happened was henry marked him and cahill swept in front of him, ,making things extremely difficult for him. he had no support really.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on June 28, 2008, 05:13:40 AM
To be honest while expecting Dublin to win I am hoping for a really tough match, ideally with Westmeath getting a 4/5 point lead and Dublin having to fight back....

I want to see the Dublin fullback line and Cullen/Fennell have good games to give confidence going forward.....I also want to see Vaughan/Connolly/Whelan/Griffen come on and prove themselves as serious contenders for starting positions....

Well apart from McConnell/Griffen/Vuaghan and obviously the injury to Brogan things went as hoped...

INDIANA

they didn't in my view because we didn't perform. we're in complete disarray in the full back line and half forward lines. i think your synopsis prior to the game would have been fine had we played well but we didn't unfortunately . i know Dublin fans are pinning their hopes on the last 8 where the team will suddenly start performing. In my view we've more problems than we had this time last year.  So the management have some work to do.

Bulwinkle