The Injuries Thread

Started by screenexile, May 29, 2008, 02:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Well guys I had a quick look for an injuries thread and couldn't find anything and was looking for advice.

Got results of my MRI scan back there and it says "Normal Anterior Cruciate Ligament not demonstrated indicating at least partial and likely complete rupture." It also says I've partially ruptured my PCL.

The only insurane I have is the Coyle Hamilton Willis scheme and I was wondering if anyone has any experience of this scheme for this type of injury. If I go private for the op will it be covered?

Also has anyone been in a similar situation with a partial/complete tear of the cruciate and what can I look forward to after the surgery? Will I have a cast on or have to miss work? I've also heard that sometimes the scan may be misleading and point to a complete tear of the ligament but when the surgeon has a look it can sometimes only be torn slightly. Has anyone any experience of this?

I know I should be asking the doctor these questions but my appointment isn't until next Thursday and was just looking for a bit of advanced info on it.

Any info would be greatly appreciated and if anyone wants to talk about any injuries they've suffered feel free to use the thread.

behind the wire

touch wood that has never happened to me. but as far as i know you should be covered to go private under the coyle hamilton scheme.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

lurganblue

Rather than start a new thread i thought i'd tag onto this one.

i was playing a foreign sport at the weekend and due to a clash of heads i got headbutted on my right cheek.  ever since that smack, my top row of front teeth have been numb.  i thought i would give it a few days to see if it went away but it hasnt yet.

has this ever happened to any of you?

botman

Quote from: lurganblue on September 28, 2009, 12:32:09 PM

i was playing a foreign sport at the weekend and due to a clash of heads i got headbutted on my right cheek.  ever since that smack, my top row of front teeth have been numb.  i thought i would give it a few days to see if it went away but it hasnt yet.

Get yourself to a Dentist pretty sharp. I had a tooth went numb after a clash of heads and the dentist had to do some magic stuff to stop me from losing it.

Keep them at it.

lurganblue

Quote from: botman on September 28, 2009, 12:37:48 PM

Get yourself to a Dentist pretty sharp. I had a tooth went numb after a clash of heads and the dentist had to do some magic stuff to stop me from losing it.

so to the dentsits rather than that A&E?

illdecide

Sorry to burst your bubble lads but there is a thread "Whats the worst sporting injury you've had".

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=11229.135
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

lurganblue

Quote from: illdecide on September 28, 2009, 02:25:23 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble lads but there is a thread "Whats the worst sporting injury you've had".

ill decide

illdecide

Quote from: lurganblue on September 28, 2009, 02:32:52 PM
Quote from: illdecide on September 28, 2009, 02:25:23 PM

ill decide

Can you imagine the pain the other guy is in hitting your Dome :D :D
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

botman

Quote from: lurganblue on September 28, 2009, 12:54:11 PM

Firstly a disclaimer.
I'm not a dentist and not too sure what is wrong with you, but I got a whack on the mouth and the tooth went numb so I went to the dentist.

If it's your tooth giving you bother I'd imagine it's his remit, cos he would look at gums and issues around the tooth knitting with bone.

If it is your cheek that's hurting perhaps an x-ray at A&E would be better.

I'd get it looked at sharpish cos you don't want to lose a tooth / teeth, as it can be expensive to fix.

If you have given it a few days and nothing has improved best to get it looked at. Hope it works out ok.
Keep them at it.

lurganblue

Quote from: botman on September 28, 2009, 03:07:36 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on September 28, 2009, 12:54:11 PM

Firstly a disclaimer.
I'm not a dentist and not too sure what is wrong with you, but I got a whack on the mouth and the tooth went numb so I went to the dentist.

If it's your tooth giving you bother I'd imagine it's his remit, cos he would look at gums and issues around the tooth knitting with bone.

If it is your cheek that's hurting perhaps an x-ray at A&E would be better.

I'd get it looked at sharpish cos you don't want to lose a tooth / teeth, as it can be expensive to fix.

If you have given it a few days and nothing has improved best to get it looked at. Hope it works out ok.

cheers botman. managed to get booked into the dentists for four o'clock so i'll see what they say.

blewuporstuffed

would def be  going private anyway and getting it put through the insurance,never did the cruiciate,but know a couple of fellas in our club thtahave and got the op done private through the players insurance scheme.usually do the op in ulster indepentant in stranmillis if your in the north anyway.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

lurganblue

So the dentist says I've only slightly damaged the nerve and feeling should return in a few weeks  :'(

he did recommend that I go to hospital though as I could well have fractured my cheek bone so I'm sitting here now waiting on x ray results...

ONeill

Anyone in the know - have an irritating thigh muscle injury. Got it playing 5-a-side two weeks ago but wasn't too bad until I kicked the first ball the following week. Seering pain when kicking with the left foot and almost impossible to turn quickly. That happened on Friday past. Took muscle-relaxing drug and it took the pain away immediately with only a slight niggle Sat and Sun. Played tonight again and same thing - 5 mins and the first turn/kick and you're one-legged for the rest of the game. Is it simply a torn muscle and rest?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Aye Shane, sounds like a quad tear, and you'd need to give it a clear fortnight I'd say.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Thought so. Bollocks bollocks bollocks.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.