Greatest Provincial Rivalry

Started by ríochtciarraí, May 07, 2008, 05:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishbat

Quote from: ziggysego on May 07, 2008, 08:40:42 PM
Has to be Tyrone v Derry. There's a real bitterness there, the like I've yet to see elsewhere.

Some people from outside the two counties would say Tyrone v Armagh, but there's a deep respect between the two.

Spot on Ziggy - for bitter levels it has to be Tyrone/Derry - but always prefer and am better positioned for Tyrone/Armagh - The Orangemen are always gracious losers, plus i can stomach a defeat by Armagh......just about.   Any defeat by Derry conjures up thoughts that can only be soothed by flashbacks to Clones 1995

Derry were welcomed to Tyrone 1n 1993 with pomp and pleasantry, if they win it again it'll be pitchforks and perties on all roads through the bushes

Outside of Ulster - always enjoy the build up of Dublin/Meath - the clash of the city boys against the barbarians at the gates.......

On that note -  similar jerseyed barbarians - Kerry V Dublin is always a great clash for the neutral.

Out wesht - has to be Mayo-Galway, though is there not a bit of niggle from the Rossies concerning the other 2?

Fishbat

Quote from: ONeill on May 08, 2008, 01:21:33 PM
What, despite our superior number of Ulster titles and All-Ireland titles at all levels?

Derry's the bit the O'Neills didn't want.

Yes indeed, the first, and probably only, instance in the history of mankind that people were actually joyed to be rid of land

Mike Sheehy

QuoteWhen you see how many people in Kerry think they are tall because they are standing on the shoulders of giants, I can see why he is the way he is.

...I've heard a few snide remarks about Kerry hurling when I have had occasion to be in Waterford so that cuts both ways.

ziggysego

I've a mate from Irvinestown... there's a real bitterness in Fermanagh towards Tyrone.
Testing Accessibility

Puckoon

Quote from: ziggysego on May 09, 2008, 01:22:20 AM
I've a mate from Irvinestown... there's a real bitterness in Fermanagh towards Tyrone.

Thats because the Tyrone and fermanagh phsyciatric hospital was a waste of time and money.  They should have just built a brick wall around fermanagh.

Goats Do Shave

From a neutral's perspective (Outside of Armagh...), I have always admired the Dub / Meath rivalary... those replays in the early 90s were incredible! - I remember wearing a Meath jersey in Dublin on a match day once, & the looks & comments I got was serious... I felt intimidated (there was a soccer type atmosphere!)

Going by this board you would have to say Armagh v Tyrone, because every argument for a while reverted to 'banter' between these 2 sets...

Personally, going out with a Tyrone lady (one of their bitterest...  :P) I would also state this rivalary is the biggest! Especially when you consider Croker in 2003 & 2005 horrible matches, unless you win! - Then there's nothing like it!

Hardy

Bojangles, I was working on the basis that we were discussing adult attitudes to teams and opponents.  If we're going to start totting up counts of kids waving flags on the side of the road (how dare they!), maybe we should register with the playschool.ie discussson board.

Also, pegging stones at anything that comes from the direction of the slurry-scented wind is a conditioned response that developed as a defence against the hideous sludge-encrusted specimens that have lurched down the Northwest Passage from the interior over the centuries. If you think it constitutes a rivalry, that makes me more distressed than ever for the sad decline of Cavan football.

Jinxy

Quote from: Fishbat on May 09, 2008, 12:25:28 AM
Has to be Tyrone v Derry. There's a real bitterness there, the like I've yet to see elsewhere.

Some people from outside the two counties would say Tyrone v Armagh, but there's a deep respect between the two.

Spot on Ziggy - for bitter levels it has to be Tyrone/Derry - but always prefer and am better positioned for Tyrone/Armagh - The Orangemen are always gracious losers, plus i can stomach a defeat by Armagh......just about.   Any defeat by Derry conjures up thoughts that can only be soothed by flashbacks to Clones 1995

Derry were welcomed to Tyrone 1n 1993 with pomp and pleasantry, if they win it again it'll be pitchforks and perties on all roads through the bushes

Outside of Ulster - always enjoy the build up of Dublin/Meath - the clash of the city boys against the barbarians at the gates.......

On that note -  similar jerseyed barbarians - Kerry V Dublin is always a great clash for the neutral.

Out wesht - has to be Mayo-Galway, though is there not a bit of niggle from the Rossies concerning the other 2?

Hey! You'll get a belt of a stick if you're not careful.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

As a neutral, I think the Dublin - Meath rivalry is the one that sparks the most interest. The swagger of the Dubs against the no horseshit Meath lads.

Dublin - Kerry seems a bit of a contrived rivalry to me, although it still stirs the emotions and nostalgia.

Kerry - Cork is a bit too friendly for me. A bit like the Offaly Westmeath one in that every second couple going to the game seems to be a Cork/Kerry mix.

Galway - Mayo is another one a bit like the Kerry Cork one. Seems to be more of a mutual admiration society when the game is over. You don't get the sense of sickness off the losing fans.

Up north, I find Derry and Tyrone is always fairly spicy, but in modern times it has to be the Armagh - Tyrone saga. It looks like it may be abating a little bit, but that was hugely entertaining for a neutral for a good few years.

Of the other ones, I like Limerick - Clare in the hurling, and Tipp - Cork. Kilkenny - Wexford shouldn't be underestimated as a rivalry, but the games are too one-sided now, 80% of the time.

magpie seanie

Dublin v. Meath is the greatest of all for me. I really love going to those games. They really go at each other with gusto but amazingly have the height of respect for each other after all is over. Proper sport.

Derry v. Tyrone is possibly the bitterest and will get worse in the years to come I'd say.

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Fishbat on May 09, 2008, 12:25:28 AM

Any nightmares of 95 in Clones quickly disappear with the fond memories of The 92 League Final and  Peroxide Plunketts spectacular Goalline fielding

Death Valley

Heres an Athlone Rossie perspective,

Westmeath, dont know why, but hate that shower. Westmeath lads are grand, but hate when the topic turns to football, something they feel they know lots about, always feel they can beat Ros, but rarely do. In saying that delighted to see them doing well lately. Hate losing to them all the same.

Offaly, I respect this county. Always give their all, supporters I always found to be among the most decent.

Longford, Apparently dont like us - is it because we always beat them?

Galway, reasonable level of rivalry. Found them bitter if losing during a game, but wish you well if you manage to beat them. Respect this county even if their supporters only come out in the sunshine.

Mayo. Biggest rivalry of all for a Rossie. Its rarely of late we can beat them, and if we do they are at their most bitter. Hatefull shower, however I would like to see them win an All Ireland soon, think they deserve one, Christ they would be hard to listen too. The women are more bastardised than the men.

Sligo, really feel this  cocky shower should be pittied more than feared. Decent people outside the town, best you can get, but would never consider them footballers.

Leitrim, Admire this crowd in footballing terms, always get themselves up for the Rossies. The people themselves are strange & blighted in some way. Would love to see a really big name coming to Carrick for a qualifier game & getting the same treatment they give the Rossies.

AZOffaly

Welcome on board DV. You'll go far with this attitude  ;D

QuoteOffaly, I respect this county. Always give their all, supporters I always found to be among the most decent

Shrewdness

As a Rossie, i can't let this thread pass without registering my love of Mayo :o.....that is, my love of seeing them beaten at any grade, be it junior, u-21, minor, senior, club, ladies football, hurling and any other sport they attempt to play : :D

I'm not biased really, because i don't mind which county beats them. ;D

I actually live in Mayo and live in fear of the day they might win Sam Maguire :'( ;

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Death Valley on May 09, 2008, 10:42:44 AM
Heres an Athlone Rossie perspective,

Westmeath, dont know why, but hate that shower. Westmeath lads are grand, but hate when the topic turns to football, something they feel they know lots about, always feel they can beat Ros, but rarely do. In saying that delighted to see them doing well lately. Hate losing to them all the same.

Offaly, I respect this county. Always give their all, supporters I always found to be among the most decent.

Longford, Apparently dont like us - is it because we always beat them?

Galway, reasonable level of rivalry. Found them bitter if losing during a game, but wish you well if you manage to beat them. Respect this county even if their supporters only come out in the sunshine.

Mayo. Biggest rivalry of all for a Rossie. Its rarely of late we can beat them, and if we do they are at their most bitter. Hatefull shower, however I would like to see them win an All Ireland soon, think they deserve one, Christ they would be hard to listen too. The women are more bastardised than the men.

Sligo, really feel this  cocky shower should be pittied more than feared. Decent people outside the town, best you can get, but would never consider them footballers.

Leitrim, Admire this crowd in footballing terms, always get themselves up for the Rossies. The people themselves are strange & blighted in some way. Would love to see a really big name coming to Carrick for a qualifier game & getting the same treatment they give the Rossies.

An Athlone Rossie  :o Are they not mutually exclusive???
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...