Greatest Provincial Rivalry

Started by ríochtciarraí, May 07, 2008, 05:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 09, 2008, 09:55:27 AM
Up north, I find Derry and Tyrone is always fairly spicy, but in modern times it has to be the Armagh - Tyrone saga. It looks like it may be abating a little bit, but that was hugely entertaining for a neutral for a good few years.

Derry and Tyrone is just too bitter to enjoy. At least with the Armagh and Tyrone, there's something that resembles football which is enjoyable.
Testing Accessibility

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Shrewdness on May 09, 2008, 10:54:10 AM
As a Rossie, i can't let this thread pass without registering my love of Mayo :o.....that is, my love of seeing them beaten at any grade, be it junior, u-21, minor, senior, club, ladies football, hurling and any other sport they attempt to play : :D

I'm not biased really, because i don't mind which county beats them. ;D

I actually live in Mayo and live in fear of the day they might win Sam Maguire :'( ;

:D :D good man shrewdness don't hold back i assume you live in Ballaghadreen ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Turlough O Carolan

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 09, 2008, 11:44:59 AM
Quote from: Death Valley on May 09, 2008, 10:42:44 AM
Heres an Athlone Rossie perspective,

Westmeath, dont know why, but hate that shower. Westmeath lads are grand, but hate when the topic turns to football, something they feel they know lots about, always feel they can beat Ros, but rarely do. In saying that delighted to see them doing well lately. Hate losing to them all the same.

Offaly, I respect this county. Always give their all, supporters I always found to be among the most decent.

Longford, Apparently dont like us - is it because we always beat them?

Galway, reasonable level of rivalry. Found them bitter if losing during a game, but wish you well if you manage to beat them. Respect this county even if their supporters only come out in the sunshine.

Mayo. Biggest rivalry of all for a Rossie. Its rarely of late we can beat them, and if we do they are at their most bitter. Hatefull shower, however I would like to see them win an All Ireland soon, think they deserve one, Christ they would be hard to listen too. The women are more bastardised than the men.

Sligo, really feel this  cocky shower should be pittied more than feared. Decent people outside the town, best you can get, but would never consider them footballers.

Leitrim, Admire this crowd in footballing terms, always get themselves up for the Rossies. The people themselves are strange & blighted in some way. Would love to see a really big name coming to Carrick for a qualifier game & getting the same treatment they give the Rossies.

An Athlone Rossie  :o Are they not mutually exclusive???

Best part of Athlone is the historic side of the town, West of the Shannon. You're in Ros territory once you cross that bridge.

mylestheslasher

The biggest rivally in Ireland is between the Leitrim and Cavan hurlers! Every year we play a death-match to see who is the worst in Ireland. On occassion the Cavan team have been known to get lost in Leitrim due to the natives giving the wrong directions and ending up in a pub instead. Forget your Cork and Kerry, it is Cavan and Leitrim by a mile.

Death Valley

Croi na hEireann. My postal address is The Berries,  Kiltoom, Athlone, Co Roscommon. Which is the proven Heart of Ireland by the way. I was brought up in the belief that once you crossed the bridge in Athlone you entered Roscommon. However I believe some gobchite changed the boundary outside the town. However most people on the west side of the town regard themselves as Rossies, even the blow ins.

One thing that really grinds my gears is people who claim Hudson Bay Hotel is in Westmeath, now there you have a "mutually exclusive" statement.

jodyb

Quote from: gerry on May 07, 2008, 11:56:38 PM
tyrone v's derry for myself.

Quote from: red hander on May 07, 2008, 07:04:52 PM
the inbreds singing "there's no Sam in Tyrone"

at least there's no london in tyrone, always keep them quiet in return

Gerry, I think you'll find that the UVF boys started with the 'no london' jibes long before the 'no sam' jibes started

jodyb

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 08, 2008, 03:44:55 PM
Quote from: orangeman on May 07, 2008, 05:26:13 PM
Quote from: ONeill on May 07, 2008, 05:22:47 PM
Tyrone/Derry definitely for me. Sheer hatred and bad manners. 1993 was the worst year in the history of mankind.
#

What was the year Tyrone were down to 13 ??

1995 Ulster semi-final ... down to 13 men at halftime and getting beat 8-5 ... ahhhhhhh, great memories of a scorching hot day, the inbreds singing "there's no Sam in Tyrone", rubbing it in as if the game was already won ... Paul Donnelly leading the fightback and Jody Gormley sticking over the winner to make it, if my memory serves me right, 11-10 ... Carlsberg don't make comebacks, but if they did...

I think both the highlighted sections above give an insight as to how Tyrone played this match...what they lacked in skill and talent (I seem to remember "one man team" being a common theme) they made up for in pure filth.
As for great memories of a scorching hot day....I have great memories of an all-ireland final that year...and even greater memories of a last minute disallowed score that the "wee men" thought had brought them level only for full time to be blown...  :D :D
ahhhhh....the Mighty Dubs served up some rough justice that day  ;D

And the whingin' they did (and still do) after the meath men give them a wee bit of similar medicine in '96?? :D

boojangles

Also, pegging stones at anything that comes from the direction of the slurry-scented wind is a conditioned response that developed as a defence against the hideous sludge-encrusted specimens that have lurched down the Northwest Passage from the interior over the centuries.
The Northwest Passage-being the N3.Hardy you must have robbed that line from some Dub describing how they deal with their Royal neighbours.
As for you being distressed at the sad decline of Cavan football-come on now sure wasnt it the Breifne county that administered(I can use big words too) the final nail in your former esteemed leader Sean Boylans coffin.Id say that caused you more distress!

red hander

Quote from: jodyb on May 09, 2008, 05:30:13 PM
Tyrone/Derry definitely for me. Sheer hatred and bad manners. 1993 was the worst year in the history of mankind.
#

1995 Ulster semi-final ... down to 13 men at halftime and getting beat 8-5 ... ahhhhhhh, great memories of a scorching hot day, the inbreds singing "there's no Sam in Tyrone", rubbing it in as if the game was already won ... Paul Donnelly leading the fightback and Jody Gormley sticking over the winner to make it, if my memory serves me right, 11-10 ... Carlsberg don't make comebacks, but if they did...

I think both the highlighted sections above give an insight as to how Tyrone played this match...what they lacked in skill and talent (I seem to remember "one man team" being a common theme) they made up for in pure filth.
As for great memories of a scorching hot day....I have great memories of an all-ireland final that year...and even greater memories of a last minute disallowed score that the "wee men" thought had brought them level only for full time to be blown...  :D :D

And the whingin' they did (and still do) after the meath men give them a wee bit of similar medicine in '96?? :D

Aye, we take out our frustrations by blaming the shit referees, you take yours out by worrying sheep

tbrick18

Quote from: red hander on May 09, 2008, 07:05:13 PM
#

Aye, we take out our frustrations by blaming the shit referees, you take yours out by worrying sheep

We do worry them alright....we threaten them with exile to t'rrone....worries the sh*t outta them  ;D

tyssam5

Quote from: ziggysego on May 09, 2008, 01:22:20 AM
I've a mate from Irvinestown... there's a real bitterness in Fermanagh towards Tyrone.

Definitely right Ziggy, Fermanagh GAA people would sell their children to get a result against Tyrone.

ziggysego

Quote from: red hander on May 09, 2008, 07:05:13 PM

Read this on my mobile phone earlier, with the Parish Priest sitting opposite me. He wondered why I broke out laughing!  :D
Testing Accessibility

Tatler Jack

QuoteRead this on my mobile phone earlier, with the Parish Priest sitting opposite me

Were you in the confessional box at the time?  ;)

ziggysego

Nah, sitting at the kitchen table you dirty beggar  :-*
Testing Accessibility

the green man

I fairness to the whole Tyrone-Derry thing, I wouldnt be that bitter at all towards Tyrone. Like, we're only a small county which is one third planter, one third soccer minded. So for us Derry men to be up near the top with Tyrone, a county more than twice the size of our own, with more clubs and players, I think its a great thing that we can keep up with the mouthy, big headed barstewards. Especially when, like 1985, 1992, 1997, 2006,  they believe that they have a divine right to beat us poor, undertroded, Anglified souls.