Greatest Provincial Rivalry

Started by ríochtciarraí, May 07, 2008, 05:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Owenmoresider on May 08, 2008, 10:23:53 AM
Quote from: stephenite on May 08, 2008, 02:49:56 AM
Mayo and Galway are the traditional rivlas - but as has been mentioned their battles over the years have been close. But for me, the bigger rivalry is with the Rossies - if we lose to Galway, the attitude appears to be - OK, we'll get them the next time.

But I hate it when we lose to Roscommon - really does my nut in for weeks
And what of Sligo - or are we more of a nuisance? Would be keen enough by the Moy I'd have felt. As I thought, the dislike is probably more intense with the Ros, more respect between Galway and Mayo I suppose.

Sums it up perfectly. Still don't like been reminded of the Connacht final in 2001. Sligo, I suppose are just a team we have to get out of the way before the real stuff...bit like this year really. :P
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

screenexile

Quote from: gerry on May 07, 2008, 11:56:38 PM
tyrone v's derry for myself.

Quote from: red hander on May 07, 2008, 07:04:52 PM
the inbreds singing "there's no Sam in Tyrone"

at least there's no london in tyrone, always keep them quiet in return

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on April 29, 2008, 12:45:43 PM
at the recent derry tyrone league match after a bit of banter a tyrone supporter shouted at his derry counterpart there's no london in tyrone to which the derry man said there's no hospital in tyrone either

stephenite

Quote from: Owenmoresider on May 08, 2008, 10:23:53 AM
Quote from: stephenite on May 08, 2008, 02:49:56 AM
Mayo and Galway are the traditional rivlas - but as has been mentioned their battles over the years have been close. But for me, the bigger rivalry is with the Rossies - if we lose to Galway, the attitude appears to be - OK, we'll get them the next time.

But I hate it when we lose to Roscommon - really does my nut in for weeks
And what of Sligo - or are we more of a nuisance? Would be keen enough by the Moy I'd have felt. As I thought, the dislike is probably more intense with the Ros, more respect between Galway and Mayo I suppose.

Reared down the Quay myself - not a stone thow from the Moy, I was thrilled with Sligo's run in '02, went to most of the matches with a good crowd of lads from Riverstown and Sloyane was in my class all the way through Secondary school. Don't begrudge Sligo anything to be honest, even if the Enniscrone ones are a bit odd ;)

The Rossies are a different breed and I have some good friends there also - just hate losing to them, and hate to see them do well. Just one of those irrational things I have, the next Mayo man would probably hate Galway in the same way

the Deel Rover

Quote from: stephenite on May 08, 2008, 11:33:00 AM
rared down the Quay myself - not a stone thow from the Moy,

you would want to bring your wallett the next time you come home then Stephenite especially if your going to bring your better half to the "ice house" for a meal   ;) To tell you the truth it would have to be galway but thats only since 2004 the reason well when galway got to the 1998 aI I was cheering them on hoping they would bring the sam accross the shannon however i was working in Galway for a while when mayo got to the Ai in 2004 and to tell you the truth i couldn't get over the fact that most of the galway people that i talked too were hoping mayo would get beat, as for Sligo allways cheer them on if they are not playing mayo especially delighted for them last year when they beat galway ;) and as for the rossies they are not a bad lot remember been in Hyde park in 2001 when they got that last minute goal and they weren't the worst in fact had a great night or 2 down there ;) 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Hardy

Quote from: Bensars on May 08, 2008, 10:00:54 AM
Dublin  V Meath. Dont think anything has matched the trilogy a few years ago.

I liked the fourth part of the trilogy best of all (with apologies to Douglas Adams).

There are few enough really well-matched rivalries. Most rivalries are imagined or one-sided, a bit like I notice the soccer lads over there in the padded cell of this site. It appears that the "Republic Of Ireland" soccer team is Northern Ireland's biggest rival, but not the other way around, whereby ROI supporters pass little or no remarks of the other Irish team.

We have that a lot in Meath, where we are the biggest rivals of a number of our neighbours, who hate us with a passion we can't muster the enthusiasm to reciprocate. Only Dublin count as proper out-and-out, sell-your-granny-to-get-a-ticket rivals as far as we're concerned.

Gnevin

Being a Dub , it's Dublin/Meath and then Dublin/Laois
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Main Street

As neutral to rivalries it's no contest,
it's Dublin  Meath all the time. It has all the ingredients.

Kerry Cork is a handbags schmozzle until Cork  just self destruct in some 5 minute hissy fit passage.
Ulster grudge games are as attractive as watching rugby players rolling around in a muddy maul. 

his holiness nb

Quote from: Gnevin on May 08, 2008, 12:17:31 PM

Being a Dub , it's Dublin/Meath and then Dublin/Laois

Suprised at that Gnevin, sure the Laois folk like to think there is a rivalry there, but there isnt really. ;)
Ask me holy bollix

lynchbhoy

you beat me to it Hardy.
This thread has made me laugh out loud a few times, what with no hospitals in tyrone (prob the county that needed them most),
three quarters of 15 ,
and a four game trilogy !

Brilliant stuff  :D

as for rivals, these will be based on where you live and who your nearest county is.

I think there is a big rivalry between Derry (the Oakleaf county) and tyrone (the drunkard county)
but the tyronies are more to be pitied than despised!
:D

ONeill

What, despite our superior number of Ulster titles and All-Ireland titles at all levels?

Derry's the bit the O'Neills didn't want.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

SLIGONIAN

I guess it depends what part of the county your from. I can only speak for myself but Leitrim/Ros is huge rivalry if your near carrick because the borders are so close. With me Im North Sligo and going to fundoran for a night out rivalry between kinlough, south donegal and north sligo quite intense.

Personally dont support any other team in connaght. Couldnt careless about the standard in the province as long as Sligo do well. Suffered to many beatings and verbals over the yrs to want them to win. It just feels fake. Would hate losing to Leitirm most then ros then mayo or galway. Lived with a few leitrim lads a while back when we lost to them it was tough house to be in. But I do respect them all just wouldnt patronise or people please to say I support them when they get out of connaght. When sligo lose Im nuetral from there on in.

I was at few armagh/tyrone and waterford/cork matches, very intense rivalries.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Bensars

my apologies i thought there was only the three games

the Deel Rover

its allright bensars them derry boys and meath lads won't let you away wit a lot around here ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Bogball XV

Quote from: ONeill on May 08, 2008, 01:21:33 PM
What, despite our superior number of Ulster titles and All-Ireland titles at all levels?

Derry's the bit the O'Neills didn't want.
Aye, but how many Ulster SHC's have ye??