Tyrone v Down Ulster Championship First Round 8th June 2008

Started by To whom it may concern, April 14, 2008, 12:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D4S

Fear Boirche I disagree with you that if Gordon has a broken thumb he has no chance....I know a number of club players who have played with broken hands/wrists with casts on...I know this is illegal but if the referee couldnt see the plaster on the arm what could be done :) This is about playing through the pain barrier and the will to win! Dan Gordon has the will to win and drive in abundance as he showed on Sunday...he will play on Saturday I'm sure of it!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

GrandMasterFlash

I would condur with D4S, if the man's allowed on the field he'll play.. The point is though, surely the team doctor would be liable for letting him play the game and running the risk of causing serious injury to his hand?

orangeman

If Dwon had any sense they'd be resting Dan Gordon and hoping that they win, beat Armagh and he'd then be fit for an Ulster final against Derry or Fermanagh -
Alternatively if Tyrone were to beat Armagh, he'd be readty for the qualifiers.

There's no point in having a player who a broken thumb playing filled to the neck with painkillers - the drugs testing people will be looking for a sample !  ;)

D4S

Dont think the team doctor would be liable if he advises Dan not to play, but he decides of his own accord he wants to play anyway!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

orangeman

Tyrone full-back Justin McMahon has emerged as a fresh injury doubt ahead of Saturday's Ulster SFC replay against Down.

McMahon is suffering from a hamstring injury
, but there's better news on midfielder Enda McGinley, who may play, despite suffering a slight concussion following a first half collision in the drawn game.

Wing back Davy Harte is likely to face the Mourne men, despite breaking his nose at Healy Park, but forward Colm Cavanagh remains extremely doubtful with an ankle injury, according to manager Mickey Harte.

Somebody is taking the piss here - we're getting every bit as bad as soccer players ! Stop the mind games please if that's what it is !

Fear Boirche

QuoteFear Boirche I disagree with you that if Gordon has a broken thumb he has no chance....I know a number of club players who have played with broken hands/wrists with casts on...I know this is illegal but if the referee couldnt see the plaster on the arm what could be done Smiley This is about playing through the pain barrier and the will to win! Dan Gordon has the will to win and drive in abundance as he showed on Sunday...he will play on Saturday I'm sure of it!

I really hope you're right, but it depends what the exact problem is. I just think that a broken bone, albeit a small one, is a major injury and playing him is highly risky, not to mention an invitation for opposing players to try and aggravate that injury.

western exile

Quote from: Fear Boirche on June 11, 2008, 02:45:20 PM
QuoteFear Boirche I disagree with you that if Gordon has a broken thumb he has no chance....I know a number of club players who have played with broken hands/wrists with casts on...I know this is illegal but if the referee couldnt see the plaster on the arm what could be done Smiley This is about playing through the pain barrier and the will to win! Dan Gordon has the will to win and drive in abundance as he showed on Sunday...he will play on Saturday I'm sure of it!

I really hope you're right, but it depends what the exact problem is. I just think that a broken bone, albeit a small one, is a major injury and playing him is highly risky, not to mention an invitation for opposing players to try and aggravate that injury.
I remember Liam Doyle playing a game, a couple of years ago, with a similar injury, but he strapped up the wrong hand so that his opponent would not step on his hurt one! Not that I am recommending that to Dan Gordan  ;)

D4S

Have you read in another thread that martin cole has received a 4week suspension and misses the replay...what a fuckin joke there was not intent, he throw his elbow back carelessly to shrug off the tackle unfortunately breaking hartes nose....but I think a yellow as the referee gave at the time was suffice! He'll be badly missed saturday night!

western exile

Quote from: D4S on June 11, 2008, 06:49:07 PM
Have you read in another thread that martin cole has received a 4week suspension and misses the replay...what a fuckin joke there was not intent, he throw his elbow back carelessly to shrug off the tackle unfortunately breaking hartes nose....but I think a yellow as the referee gave at the time was suffice! He'll be badly missed saturday night!
That has got to be a wind up.  The rule is...   if the referee misses something, then it can be dealt with by a committee after the event and issue a suspension. However, if the referee dealt with it at the time, then the committee can do nothing. In this case, the referee saw it and dealt with it, and determined that yellow was sufficient.  Don't believe all the spoof that is going around for this replay.  It is all so entertaining   8)

Fear ón Srath Bán

I'd be suspicious too, say nothing until the Irish Times has it - Dublin seems to be the font of all accuracy with Ulster GAA matters these days, and proper order too  :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

D4S

Wish you were right guys but read the utv website under sport, and adrian logan read it out as his main sport headline...was poste first on the utv website at 4.30pm today! Logie must have some source to be reading it out on news!

anportmorforjfc

D4S

Just 1 side similar to Healy park, with the other 3 sides all terracing, hold about 4000 in the stand I think! Total ground capacity is 19000

anportmorforjfc

D4S

Same as Healy Park like that also though, all terrace tickets say Canal Terrace but you can stand behind either goals or up the side...my 4 tickets I picked up 2day all say canal terrace also! Ive attended loads of games at esler and definitely the terracing is not seperated...see you there An Dun Abu!