Tyrone v Down Ulster Championship First Round 8th June 2008

Started by To whom it may concern, April 14, 2008, 12:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: rrhf on June 10, 2008, 02:10:10 PM
Naive LDA from a man of your standing - When is the time to raise the midfield problem - when we are out of the Ulster championship on Saturday?

I have no objection to people questioning the midfield rrhf and indeed Id also have major doubts about Hub and Holmes as the midfield partnership. I just dont see much pointthough in suggesting at this point that club players not on the panel are the answer. They arent going to be called up at this stage and to be perfectly honest I would have questions about the capabilities of these guys to step into the Tyrone time at this stage and make a difference. There is also the issue of knee jerk reactions. I remember similar talk after the poor performaces against Down and Cavan in 2005. Im not suggesting we're going to win Sam this summer, it looks a very distance prospect, but calling for new faces on the panel after one mixed performance is maybe a bit shortsighted. A midfield of McMahon and Cavanagh with Enda providing support for them would be a match for most IMO.

clarshack

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 10, 2008, 04:53:46 PM
As soon as I saw Colm Cavanagh lining up to hit our first free on sunday from about 45 yards i knew we were going to struggle to rack up a big score! He is a decent player - but does he even take the frees for his club?

he scored 0-7 against stewartsown 2 weeks ago - most of which were frees 30-40 yards out. he was outstanding at midfield that night.

ONeill

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on June 10, 2008, 09:15:03 PM

I have no objection to people questioning the midfield rrhf and indeed Id also have major doubts about Hub and Holmes as the midfield partnership. I just dont see much pointthough in suggesting at this point that club players not on the panel are the answer. They arent going to be called up at this stage and to be perfectly honest I would have questions about the capabilities of these guys to step into the Tyrone time at this stage and make a difference. There is also the issue of knee jerk reactions. I remember similar talk after the poor performaces against Down and Cavan in 2005. Im not suggesting we're going to win Sam this summer, it looks a very distance prospect, but calling for new faces on the panel after one mixed performance is maybe a bit shortsighted. A midfield of McMahon and Cavanagh with Enda providing support for them would be a match for most IMO.

Much of this is true. We can possibly get a 1-12 unit capable of competing with the best a la 2005. It's the 13-15 that'll be the killer. A Mugsy/Colm Cav/McCullagh just doesn't hold the same fear as Mugsy/Canavan/O'Neill
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BennyHarp

[quoteIf Mark Harte (an Errigal reserve) is our answer then we're in trouble. ][/quote]

I was being a little bit sarcastic with my bringf back Mark Harte all is forgiven commment - but my main point still remains, we need someone who can kick the free when the pressure is on. Hopefully Tyrone may draw Stewartstown in the next round!  ;D
That was never a square ball!!

ziggysego

Quote from: ONeill on June 10, 2008, 09:32:45 PM
Much of this is true. We can possibly get a 1-12 unit capable of competing with the best a la 2005. It's the 13-15 that'll be the killer. A Mugsy/Colm Cav/McCullagh just doesn't hold the same fear as Mugsy/Canavan/O'Neill

Small steps. If we're lucky enough to get pass Down on Saturday and make steady improvements, they could be a force to be feared come the latter stages of the competition. That said, small steps and we need to get there first.
Testing Accessibility

ONeill

Can we not form some kind of paramilitary GAA group and force Canavan and O'Neill out of retirement as well as threaten Muliigan onto the field? Call ourselves the TRAMPS. (Tyrone Redhanders After Mugsy, Peter and Stephen)

Just told that O'Neill has no intention of playing this year at all, so best to put that to bed and encourage the lads to be the best they can be with what they have.

Much talk about Joe starting. Any takers for Joe at FB and Justin MF? Coulter is a cute player and will have learned much from Justin's methods on Sunday. Was surprised Down didn't launch a couple down Justin's throat on Sunday, a Coulter forte surely.

ONeill

Big feckin beetroot head on him.

Reckons Omagh's a lovely spot and there are more red cars than blue between Ballygawley and St Enda's - about a 60/40 split there.

Reckons Tyrone are a spent force and that we wouldn't win the Tommy Murphy and that Down should win handsomely pulling up, maybe throwing on Linden and Shorty Treanor to humiliate us with 25 minutes to go.

nrico2006

QuoteCan we not form some kind of paramilitary GAA group and force Canavan and O'Neill out of retirement as well as threaten Muliigan onto the field? Call ourselves the TRAMPS. (Tyrone Redhanders After Mugsy, Peter and Stephen)

Just told that O'Neill has no intention of playing this year at all, so best to put that to bed and encourage the lads to be the best they can be with what they have.

Much talk about Joe starting. Any takers for Joe at FB and Justin MF? Coulter is a cute player and will have learned much from Justin's methods on Sunday. Was surprised Down didn't launch a couple down Justin's throat on Sunday, a Coulter forte surely

Good one O'Neill.  In all seriousness it would be great for O'Neill to return and along with Mulligan up front with McGuigan pulling the strings you would be alot more optimistic but doubtful that we will see it this year.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Aristotle Flynn

According to BBC Dan Gordan is definently out. He's a big loss.

I was told the demand for tickets from clubs is so great that the county board are limiting the numbers to each club. Can anyone with connections confirm this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7446862.stm
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

Main Street

Quote from: Aristotle Flynn on June 11, 2008, 09:51:45 AM
According to BBC Dan Gordan is definently out. He's a big loss.

Where do read definitely?
The BBC say it is only a "likely" at this stage.
"Down midfielder Dan Gordon is likely to be ruled out of Saturday's Ulster SFC replay against Tyrone at Newry after scans showed he has broken a thumb."

The next step is the "BBC understands".

orangeman

Ok - if we accept that club midfielders who are not currently on the panel at the minte, won't provide the answer to Tyrone's midfield problems, WHEN exactly do you introduce them ? In other words, how long is MH going to remain loyal to Hub, Holmes etc etc ?

Fuzzman

Has anyone emailed BBC or RTE on whether or not they have made a decision to show this game live?

Even if it was on the Internet that would be good?

Are tickets very scarce?
I haven't decided whether to go yet but I might head up anyway and see can I get in?

western exile

I am pleased to see that the general mood from the Tyrone posters on this thread is less pessimistic about Saturday evening than it was before last Sundays game!   It should lead to a much better atmosphere in Pairc Esler than was found at Healy Park, where the first chant from the home faithfull could not be heard not until 5 mins from the end when their team went a point ahead.
I am looking forward to the Down fans making some noise.  Roll on Saturday night  8)

Re Dan Gordan...  I have no doubt his thumb is broken. He looked in a lot of pain when getting strapped on the field on Sunday.  But it did not stop him from playing another 40+ minutes and getting Man of the Match, probably mostly on adrenalin.  So, he will mostly likely start again on Saturday night, even with a broken hand.  I am just worried that it will  have a delayed effect on his performance

Fear Boirche

If Down are admitting that Dan has a broken thumb, but still think could play, then they're having a laugh.
Either it's not broken and he'll play, or it is, in which case he has no chance.
Similarly, with Tyrone - if McGinley has concussion, he will not play, but if it's not concussion there's a chance he'll play.
Managers give very quick, inaccurate diagnosis which end up making them look silly later in the week./

passedit

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2008/0611/mcmahonj.html?gaa

QuoteTyrone full-back Justin McMahon has emerged as a fresh injury doubt ahead of Saturday's Ulster SFC replay against Down.

McMahon is suffering from a hamstring injury, but there's better news on midfielder Enda McGinley, who may play, despite suffering a slight concussion following a first half collision in the drawn game.

Wing back Davy Harte is likely to face the Mourne men, despite breaking his nose at Healy Park, but forward Colm Cavanagh remains extremely doubtful with an ankle injury, according to manager Mickey Harte.
Don't Panic