Welcome to Stoneyford

Started by Doogie Browser, April 09, 2008, 10:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

under the bar

It's quite obvious that the thugs at the end could threaten and cause violence with impunity just like many others throughout the 6 counties.  The cops will shrug their shoulders saying "we know who they are but what can we do?"    So long as they arent actually committing murder the PSNI are happy to keep things at an acceptable level of violence short of killing.   

As in Castle Street 2 weeks ago the cops could easily of apprehended the culprits but preferred to disperse them off home from outside Jurys hotel.

his holiness nb

I'm sure this wont go down well with some posters, and I know theres people like this on both sides before ye piss yer cacks, but it seems to me that the levels of sectarian violence and downright bigotry seems to be much higher from the unionist community these days.

Of course I dont have facts of figures to back this up (before Sammy asks), its just a general observation.

Maybe its just me.

Ask me holy bollix

Maximus Marillius

In what section of the community does racism raise its head up the most?

his holiness nb

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on April 10, 2008, 01:55:35 PM

I'd be surprised if it wasnt evenly split.
Ask me holy bollix

Donagh

Quote from: his holiness nb on April 10, 2008, 01:44:31 PM
I'm sure this wont go down well with some posters, and I know theres people like this on both sides before ye piss yer cacks, but it seems to me that the levels of sectarian violence and downright bigotry seems to be much higher from the unionist community these days.

Of course I dont have facts of figures to back this up (before Sammy asks), its just a general observation.

Maybe its just me.

Of course it's true your holiness because unionist identity and culture is essentially based on sectarianism. There is no such thing as unionist ideology and in lieu of the fact that they no longer (if ever) fit with the modern multicultural British identity, the only thing they have which identifies them as being different from the natives is their religion. Clinging to and emphasising that difference, even though most of them will never have darkened the door of a Church, gives them an identity. Just listen to them on the radio, when the rest of us are talking about republicans, loyalists, unionists, nationalists, Blueshirts etc they are always wedded to the Catholic-Protestant labels even though the rest of the country left such nonsense back in the 18th century.

The only problem is that when you continually emphasise and promote the differences between groups of people in order to separate yourself, you will get people like the Stoneyford mob who actually believe they are great patriots and defenders of their community by behaving in such a way as they are maintain the identity by keeping the other religion out. Now don't get me wrong as there are many such idiots on the other side of the community but as our identity is not based on difference, thankfully the problem is not nearly so bad. The only thing is that there are so many people on the unionist side riding the gravy train of bigotry that it's hard to see when it will end.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on April 10, 2008, 01:55:35 PM

Well I don't know of any Nationalist/Republican organisations or groupings with links to the BNP, C18 etc...
So draw your own conclusion
Tbc....

downredblack

Maybe its just me.

Class  ;D

Jonny Adair was into the NF and UB40 , work that one out .

Mentalman

Quote from: downredblack on April 10, 2008, 02:35:13 PM

Jonny Adair was into the NF and UB40 , work that one out .

UB40 is either nostalgia - Unemployment Benefit Form 40 - or more likely, it's a line that goes something like  Jamaican rude boy - ska - rocksteady - reggae - UB40. Skinheads grew out of mod and ska/reggae, then later punk, some taking up the politics of white nationalism. Hence why a lot of NF, old school skinheads, are into Jamaican music!
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Solomon Kane

Maybe its just me.

From a different perspective the rise in support for Sinn Fein could be viewed as an increase in bigotry within the nationalist community. How many other "politicians'"careers would survive carrying the coffin of someone who had just butchered 9 of his own constituents? In how many other countries would a convicted murderer be elected to an administrative body of any sort?

his holiness nb

If you are that desperate to even things up that you need to suggest voting for Sinn Fein is bigotry, then my initial guess must be right!!

:D :D :D

Ask me holy bollix

SammyG

Quote from: his holiness nb on April 10, 2008, 07:47:33 PM
If you are that desperate to even things up that you need to suggest voting for Sinn Fein is bigotry, then my initial guess must be right!!
Pitiful comment (on top of your previous pitiful comment).

There are sectarian thugs on both sides, they have been around for a very long time and will be for a long time to come, unfortunately. The fact that people vote for them only perpetuates the problem.

A few years down the line, when we're a few generations away from the Troubles and people vote, for people, based on their abilities and policies, rather than how much hate they spout things will start to change but not before then.

Solomon Kane

Quote from: his holiness nb on April 10, 2008, 07:47:33 PM

:D :D :D

Not desperate at all, nor am I trying to "even things up", because I can't for the life of me see how bigotry can be measured. It's a bit too complex for that.

SammyG

Quote from: Donagh on April 10, 2008, 02:22:21 PMOf course it's true your holiness because unionist identity and culture is essentially based on sectarianism. There is no such thing as unionist ideology and in lieu of the fact that they no longer (if ever) fit with the modern multicultural British identity, the only thing they have which identifies them as being different from the natives is their religion. Clinging to and emphasising that difference, even though most of them will never have darkened the door of a Church, gives them an identity. Just listen to them on the radio, when the rest of us are talking about republicans, loyalists, unionists, nationalists, Blueshirts etc they are always wedded to the Catholic-Protestant labels even though the rest of the country left such nonsense back in the 18th century.
Brilliant, use sick sectarian bigottry to explain why Unionists are all sectarian bigots. You really couldn't make it up.

deiseach

Quote from: Solomon Kane on April 10, 2008, 06:51:53 PMFrom a different perspective the rise in support for Sinn Fein could be viewed as an increase in bigotry within the nationalist community. How many other "politicians'"careers would survive carrying the coffin of someone who had just butchered 9 of his own constituents? In how many other countries would a convicted murderer be elected to an administrative body of any sort?

After most revolutionary wars, I'd say the total would be approaching 100%. As you say, perspective matters.

Donagh

Quote from: SammyG on April 10, 2008, 08:06:13 PM

Brilliant, use sick sectarian bigottry to explain why Unionists are all sectarian bigots. You really couldn't make it up.

Sorry Sammy, is there something in my post you would like to challenge or refute?